"The Coffee Shop Girl You Never Spoke To"

You've replayed it a hundred times. She stood three feet away, scrolling her phone. You had an opening. You composed the perfect line — after she was gone.

For all you know, she's married now. To some guy who said something. Anything.

Openers are cheap. Almost any sentence works when it's delivered within three seconds. The expensive part is the standing there, drafting and deleting, while the window quietly closes.

The "22 Rules" stripped out my hesitation. What to open with, how to keep it alive, and the one habit that costs guys more women than anything else: waiting for perfect.

Read more...

Do you always have to say hi?

Gan

Don Juan
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
96
Reaction score
20
You wouldn't always say hi to someone you're into right? Was at my MMA class today and she was already interacting with another group of people while I was working on the bag. She was within proximity. It didn't feel natural to me to drop what I was doing to acknowledge her so I didn't. Thoughts?
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
11,948
Location
DFW, TX
You wouldn't always say hi to someone you're into right? Was at my MMA class today and she was already interacting with another group of people while I was working on the bag. She was within proximity. It didn't feel natural to me to drop what I was doing to acknowledge her so I didn't. Thoughts?
Focus on your workout. You can mingle before or after class. Just be friendly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gan

devilkingx2

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 9, 2013
Messages
4,521
Reaction score
2,229
Location
NYC
You wouldn't always say hi to someone you're into right? Was at my MMA class today and she was already interacting with another group of people while I was working on the bag. She was within proximity. It didn't feel natural to me to drop what I was doing to acknowledge her so I didn't. Thoughts?
Talk to her if you have a free moment, like between sets.

It's not weird unless she's anti-social or you're a creepy person.
 

Billtx49

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 23, 2013
Messages
5,989
Reaction score
5,410
Location
DFW
You wouldn't always say hi to someone you're into right? Was at my MMA class today and she was already interacting with another group of people while I was working on the bag. She was within proximity. It didn't feel natural to me to drop what I was doing to acknowledge her so I didn't. Thoughts?
Say Hi, Hello, or Hey to everyone until it becomes natural and your acquaintance circle will greatly expand and include women…
 

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
7,427
Reaction score
5,805
You wouldn't always say hi to someone you're into right? Was at my MMA class today and she was already interacting with another group of people while I was working on the bag. She was within proximity. It didn't feel natural to me to drop what I was doing to acknowledge her so I didn't. Thoughts?
Be nice and friendly when you meet people or cross them at the door but dont interrupt your activity to cheers them, if you happen to cross eyes just smile.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

Top