Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do martial arts!

RIchardo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Now, when i say do martial arts i dont mean some pansy karate class or something, i mean something that you have to train and train hard for, like kickboxing, wrestling, pankration, boxing , MMA...etc..

The reasoning is this
A. Once you know you can beat anyone then strangely nobody can end up bothering you anymore by talking trash or whatever

B. Confidence improves a million times over because you know all the hard grueling hours you put in , the teeth and bones that have cracked and the opponents you have defeated.

C. If you get hung up on a girl or some other stupid ****, i have found the best way to get rid of it is through serious training and some nice full contact bouts to boot.

I started off in martial arts just goin to class and such for somthing to do and i liked fighting, this was back when i was the major afc. Then i really started to get down with girl problems and found this site, then i got really really hung up on one girl and decided the only way to get it out of my head was to start some serious training. I proceeded to run a ton, lift more (i was already in good shape, but i wanted to become more then human lol) and hit the bag for hours...

This took my mind off the girls, i no longer gave a **** what anyone thought, i had supreme confidence......and now that type of training has become habit more then work for me....i actually look forward to it. Becoming so involved in fighting has also made me appreciate the arts more and i read alot more and work on music alot more now...... martial arts is a great key to becoming a well rounded individual in the doorway of life.

PS. full contact matches are fun :)

Ian1983

Don Juan
Reaction score
Duh! :D
I've been thinking for years of the government making any full contact MA as part of the school curiculam (sp?). I reckon everyone would be nicer and there'd be none of this macho bs that runs around most mens minds. When you know from looking at someone who could do them serious damage with one shot, its just not worth having a attitude (and vica versa). Most people with attitude after all are weak, in my experience anyway. They can get away with the bollocks in real life, but when someone whos trained hard with no ego steps in the ring with you...you soon know where you've been going wrong (thats my role with people :cool: )

Toke

Don Juan
Reaction score
WTF is it with people bashing Karate?
I'd take Karate over boxing or wrestling anyday. Sure, I'd rather take Ninjitsu or Mantis Kung Fu, but I'd take Karate over boxing or wrestling any day.

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Toke
I'd take Karate over boxing or wrestling anyday. Sure, I'd rather take Ninjitsu or Mantis Kung Fu, but I'd take Karate over boxing or wrestling any day.
I think he has been visiting defend.net a little too often and forgets to respect all types of arts.

RIchardo

Don Juan
Reaction score
nah, i respect all arts, karate is good, its just too common that you find schools of karate or kung fu that do not teahc how to fight, more like a daycare center.

I have just switched from Northern eagle claw kung fu to full contact kickboxing. I wish schools would have boxign teams.

~The_Chosen~

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
90% of fights end up in wrestling.

Watch Ultimate Fighting, Karate and Taekwan do and **** like that, overrated and trash. When it comes to real fighting, wrestling is the way to go. Jiu jit su or whatever.

Karate and all that other stuff is more of an art, not an effective fight technique

jaye

Don Juan
Reaction score
90% of fights end up in wrestling.

Watch Ultimate Fighting, Karate and Taekwan do and **** like that, overrated and trash. When it comes to real fighting, wrestling is the way to go. Jiu jit su or whatever.

Karate and all that other stuff is more of an art, not an effective fight technique
The reason 90% of fights end up in wrestling is because less than 10% of people know how to do martial arts.

Kung Fu, Karate, and TaeKwando are highly efficient forms of hand to hand combat. They developed as forms of fighting, not performanc arts - despite the fact that some have branched out into this.

To call it overrated and trash is ignorant, I defy you to see a sparing match between two Shaolin monks or two Taekwando masters and call them uneffective fighting techniques.

Clint Eastwood

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jaye is right about this! Most martial artists don't know how to fight and that is the only reason that a lot of fights turn into wrestling matches. The Gracies and Muchados both admit to this fact. They both say they are scared of running into a fighter who truly knows how to fight. Why? Because they know they will end up unconscious or dead before they grab such a fighter. But, they're not too scared because they know most contact fighters don't have a clue about how to really fight.

Yeah, you may win some sparring matches or kickboxing trophies. But try that same sh!t on the street with a real fighter and you're dead! Real fights don't have rules, pads, points, or submissions. I've been in enough to know, and have the scars to prove it.

Yes, there are a few fighting arts designed for just this purpose. You would be amazed if I told you what the most effective fighting arts are, because 99% of the people doing those arts are either doing them incorrectly or know nothing about the true form of these arts.

How do I know this? I've been studying various martial arts for nearly 20 years. I've boxed, wrestled, and spent several years doing 2 styles of karate. I did Muay Thai for a year. Then went on to Aikido for 3 years. This led me to Taiji, Bagua, and Hsing-I.

With each of these arts, I always wondered whether it would work on the street. With each of them, I had doubts about certain things. I never had full confidence that what I was learning would work on the street against anyone. Until now. Like I said, you'd be surprised at what arts are most effective. All martial arts have the capability of being this effective, since they all stem from the same base. But, almost everyone who does them, is doing them wrong.

I wasted nearly twenty years learning these arts in the wrong way from the wrong teachers. There is a saying in China, that it is better to spend 10 years looking for a good teacher, than to spend 20 years with a bad one. Now that I've found a good one, I have full confidence that I can defend myself against anyone, anywhere, anytime. I've never felt that before.

You can flame my response all you want. You can continue being a fool and training hard at something that will never work against a fighter like me, or your average street fighter. Or you can find the truth and learn the reality about martial arts.

With all of that, I'm sure this post will get moved to Anything Else.

Biske

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mixed

The simple solution is study a mix of all the martial arts. I'm trying to perfect of my own new form that works best for me. Strong Judo and Jujitsu base with Aikido and Muy Thai. It combines everything you'd ever need.

Vassago

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I highly recommend Martial Arts as well.

GREAT post! Having a life is more important than a "technique".

Player69

Don Juan
Reaction score
Most martal arts taugh in in western culture have been watered down over and over again. The teachers/masters/senseis what ever have been caught up in the ways of the old tradition and forgot how those traditions were first created. These art forms were first taught by powerful men who have taken down and killed many opponents in wars. Their lives, lands and famalies were on the line, so they had to give it their all. Many treated these masters with respect, and wished to learn their battle tested techniques. If you couldn't fight well, you died... simple as that.

Every art form has a purpose, and is effective for what it was designed for. Judo was not designed for war, but as a sparing sport, and the same goes for boxing. They are still effective and challanging, but the deadly/crippling force is filtered out. Karate (keep in mind I am not saying all schools) has been somewhat wattered down in times of peace, and watered down more since it became a competitive business and a source of income. What mother would want to stick her child through potentially deadly training on weekends? These people become the masters of the future, and they pass down their watered down skill. The technique may be learned proporly, but the battle tested experiance is lacking.

Ju jit su is one of the most effective martal arts if you wish to kill or cripple your opponent quickly and efficently. Very few people get the chance to fully test the extent of their skill when using this art form. If you did, you would probably be up the ying yang in law suits.

Right now, I don't think of martal arts as a tool to beat people up, I use it as a form of recreation, and a way to vent frustrations.

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can argue all day how great karate is, but when an average wrestler nearly kills a top 10 full contact karate fighter in under 20 seconds, you begin to have your doubts.

Originally posted by Toke
I would never take karate over boxing or wrestling and I would never take ninjitsu or mantis kung fu over karate. I do have my respects for karate, but you wanna know why it's constantly bashed?

Well, it's becuase it's such a common art, and people begin to take it and after 4 months of training for one hour a week, they think they are invincible. To become a champion in a local karate tournament, you can be an absolutely pathetic fighter on the street. But in kickboxing or boxing or something like that, you train hard for hours on end day after day in order to keep up with the competition.

People think that karatekas are wussies because 98% of them are. Same goes with TKD, kung fu, and most other arts.

"To call it overrated and trash is ignorant, I defy you to see a sparing match between two Shaolin monks or two Taekwando masters and call them uneffective fighting techniques."

Of course these guys look impressive against each other, how good two people of the same style do against each other proves nothing about the style itself. It's how different styles perform against each other and styles like kung fu and tkd have done an utterly pathetic job against other styles in competition.

Anyways, the point of this thread is to be able to kick ass cuz it'll make you confident and blah blah blah. The only way you can do that is to train hard and train effectively. The former can be achieved by any style, but to achieve the latter, I'm going to stick with the arts that have proven it (kickboxing, vale tudo, wrestling, brazilian jiujitsu, muay thai, etc.)

RIchardo

Don Juan
Reaction score
exactly! training hard is what makes one a good fighter. One could train kickboxing for a year and beat a karateka of 10years experience or such, not saying karate is bad, kyoshkin is wicked.

But if you can handle people beating the **** out of you in the ring, what would you have to worry about in real life? thus confidence and lack of need for women is acheived, cuz i know after a tough workout or fight i coudl care less about women

jaye

Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course these guys look impressive against each other, how good two people of the same style do against each other proves nothing about the style itself. It's how different styles perform against each other and styles like kung fu and tkd have done an utterly pathetic job against other styles in competition.
That is true, but to deny the fact that one can come to learn a great deal about the effectiveness of Kung Fu from watching two skilled practitioners is foolish.

Kung Fu itself is the most ancient form of any "martial art." It has roots dating back thousands of years, and during that time has proved itself against many kinds of martial arts. In the 1800s and 1900s, Kung Fu was known as the "Chinese Fist of Legend" because Japanese karate masters, Korean tae kwan do masters, as well as Russian and British boxers were unable to break its hold as the superior unarmed fighting style.

Chinese martial artists like Huo Yuan Jia and Chen Zhen (a movie starring Jet Li is based on him) were renowned as partiots because they defeated foreign opponents in the ring when their country couldn't do it on the battlefield.

I visited the venue in S. China in which Huo Yuan Jia defeated a famous Russian boxer in the early 1900s. People who live in the area still tell tales about it. The Russian boxer was known as "Bear of Siberia" - and claimed he could defeat any fighter from China - called China the "sick man of the east." Huo Yuan Jia kicked his ass. The Russian was easily 6 2, 6 3 - over 200 lbs (look him up online, I believe his name was Vladmir Petrov), while Huo Yuan Jia was a small man under 6 foot.

Oriental martial arts have proven themselves against other fighthing styles as well as against themselves.

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jaye

In the 1800s and 1900s, Kung Fu was known as the "Chinese Fist of Legend" because Japanese karate masters, Korean tae kwan do masters, as well as Russian and British boxers were unable to break its hold as the superior unarmed fighting style.
That was a long time ago when the shaolin systems were in their prime (back when they stressed the training of san shou). Nowadays everyone's so hung up on chi and striking cavities for instant death and over time the shaolin style of fighting has weakened considerably.

jaye

Don Juan
Reaction score
That was a long time ago when the shaolin systems were in their prime (back when they stressed the training of san shou). Nowadays everyone's so hung up on chi and striking cavities for instant death and over time the shaolin style of fighting has weakened considerably.
I would beg to differ.

The early 1900s was one of the darkest times for the Shaolin. It also went through bad times during the Cultural Revolution... but it's strengthened up quite a bit today.

For instance, you take the Shandong Black Tiger school. It is widely recognized in Northern China as the premier bare-fist style, and has many of its techniques rooted in the San Chao styles of old. San Chao is making a great come back in SHaolin schools these days, especially among the youth.

The enrollment among Chinese martial art acadamies is climbing at a very high pace, due to the blistering pace of the growing economy - more and more parents are sending their kids into martial arts schools and investing in traditional Chinese martial arts. Kung Fu has come to be a seen as a national symbol of pride and many new masters are emerging and furthering the development of the style

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jaye
I would beg to differ.

The early 1900s was one of the darkest times for the Shaolin. It also went through bad times during the Cultural Revolution... but it's strengthened up quite a bit today.

It went through bad times because guns were becoming commonplace in China and the temples were being overrun by armies who tried to banish shaolin for good. It weakened severely in number, but the style itself remained the same.

The enrollment among Chinese martial art acadamies is climbing at a very high pace, due to the blistering pace of the growing economy - more and more parents are sending their kids into martial arts schools and investing in traditional Chinese martial arts. Kung Fu has come to be a seen as a national symbol of pride and many new masters are emerging and furthering the development of the style
Just because it's growing more popular doesn't mean it's reclaiming it's extinct glory. A lot of knowledge was lost during the chinese revolution and when I hear what many of the "masters" of today philosophize, it grows ever more difficult not to dismiss kung fu as a complete joke (and this is coming from one who practices the art!)

I will say this about it. There are masters who are truly great (Don Wilson is the most notable). But these are the ones who keep the style concrete and retain the values of the shaolin of old. Back in that time, the masters valued super strenuous training to increase physical attributes above all else. Nowadays, most of these guys are given to fantasy (as I stated above, the ones who stress that "dim-mak" bullcrap and stuff).

With the right trainer (one who knows enough about realistic fighting to understand which techniques of kung fu need to be omitted and what should be added), it can be powerful if people begin to train in san shou along with it (although even san shou is not as potent today as it was hundreds of years ago because today most people think san shou is a style of kickboxing). However, (to avoid completely dismissing the point of this thread), I would not reccomend any style of kung fu if you intend to achieve what Ricardo is aiming at, for the "right trainer" that I mentioned is a rare find these days, and most of them will teach you cheerleading, not martial arts.

jaye

Don Juan
Reaction score
I will say this about it. There are masters who are truly great (Don Wilson is the most notable). But these are the ones who keep the style concrete and retain the values of the shaolin of old. Back in that time, the masters valued super strenuous training to increase physical attributes above all else. Nowadays, most of these guys are given to fantasy (as I stated above, the ones who stress that "dim-mak" bullcrap and stuff).
Popularity provides the incentive for the martial art to move ahead, and has always been a good indicator of the "health" of the practice.

Kung Fu is an ancient martial art - perfected through thousands of yours by countless thousands of masters, just because it goes through a period of malaise doesn't mean it disspears, and new practitioners will have to create it all over again.

San Chao, as you mentioned, is in my opinion the most complete hand to hand combat technique in the world. In its simplicity it combines hundreds of years of perfected technique... it embodies the essence of modern styles such as kick boxing and even ju jitsu.

You mention Don Wilson... without expounding too much upon racial stigma, and without lowering the status of non-Chinese kung fu masters... I doubt he would be able to compare with some of the truly great masters in China. I took a recent trip with a bunch of fellow kung fu students to China, including numerous American students from all across the US (some trained under the most famous American martial art masters) to China, and lived with a group of Shaolin monks in their monestary for 2 weeks and trained with them. We could barely keep up some of the youngest monks! Aside from their near flawless technique and San Chao prowess, their conditioning was remarkable! They would do flips in the air and land flat on their backs on cement ground, strike into pots of glass shards - it was obvious their chi harnessing was so far ahead of ours. A lot these students were really ****y before they got there, and they left truly inspired and amazed. These monks train at least 14 hours a day, they sleep for 5-6 hours, and spend th rest of the time doing chores. It was remarkable. I personally got the wind knocked out of me 3-4 times sparing with a puny 110 lb baldy! LOL