"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

Do it, because you never know

Dapper Don

Don Juan
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
North Carolina
Today I had to speak for fifteen minutes on Malcolm X for a history class.

I had dreaded it all semester. It worried me for months, every time I thought about it I would feel a twinge of anxiety.

I had it all planned in my head about how I would mess up and say something completely stupid or just do mediocre and come off as a slightly below average jackass. My classmates would secretly revile me and my opinions.

At first, the morning of the presentation, I was completely messed up with fear. The kind of empy/knotted stomach pit feeling.

But I remembered everything I'd learned from the forums. I figured, what did it matter anyway? I don't care what some random nitwit thinks of my speech. I knew my subject, I had tried my best. I had my own approval, and that was all that ****ing mattered.

So I put the thoughts out of my head, trying to be as cavalier and uncaring as I could about it.

When it came to presentation time, I didn't give it a second thought. I just plunged in talking.

I freaking killed.

People were laughing, applauding, chuckling, and enjoying themselves. Most of the other presentations before mine sucked porpoise. But I actually entertained. People went out of their way to complement me after class. One girl even asked me for public speaking tips for own speech.

And here I thought I was going to fail. It turns out that, to be immodest, I am a natural public speaker. I loved it. The attention, the ability to say whatever I wanted and get many of the responses I wanted. And it was my first time. I had never spoken publicly before, really. What's else, I had nothing planned. I made it all up as I went along, and still made sense and gave the information.

My confidence has receive a permanent boost, because I know I can do easily and well something that others would consider death before attempting

So, my point? (apart from stroking my own ego a bit... I went on a bit long about how great I was, I know)

My point is that sometimes with things in life, especially DJ skills, you can think you suck and have no ability because you've never tried. You see somebody doing something you'd like to do and think, "gee, that'd be cool to be like that. But nah, I couldn't."

But try it because you might actually be way better than average at it. Who the hell knows? You never picked up a guitar, never thought to try. But one day you decide to learn a few scales and find that you have a natural, instinctive without training affinity for a mean, coherent blues solo or something. Or you never played football, knowing in your mind that'd you'd suck cause you considered yourself unathletic. And suddenly you find that if its even remotely shaped like a lemon, you can catch it from 80 yards.

Forget self-improvement for a moment. What if you already rock? You might have talents you'd never dreamed of. Here, I thought I was shy and reserved, but give me twenty minutes and an audience and I can make a dissertation on Malcolm X seem like standup comedy.

The point has already been made, I know. "Just Do It" for fvck's sake. Because not only will you improve on your weak points, you'll inevitably end up unearthing a whole new load of shighyte you never knew you were awesome at.
 

“The 22 Rules That Flip the Script With Women… And How You Can Use Them Tonight”

Most guys accidentally kill attraction before they even speak. They assume they need a bigger bank account, a better physique, or smoother lines. They miss the point.

Female desire operates on a specific set of psychological triggers.  Break them, and you're invisible. Follow them, and you become magnetic.

I learned this the hard way. Years of freezing up. Getting friend-zoned. Watching other guys walk away with the girl I wanted. Then I discovered a set of 22 simple rules that rewired my entire approach.

Read more...

Wonderbread166

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 8, 2004
Messages
235
Reaction score
1
Location
NY
You're not necessarily a natural public speaker. It's just that the forums have given you the confidence and attitude to give good speeches, because I've found that confidence is the key to giving speeches. You thought back to all the articles you've read and thought, wtf, I might as well just do it as best I can. It is quite a bit like talking to girls- the more confident you are about your level of ability, the better you will perform. The DJ attitude affects all areas of your life, not just chicks.

Good post
 
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
2
Age
40
Location
Nodferatu's Lair
I had to give a speech for 10 minutes on marijuana, and I had to persuade people into thinkning it's not such a bad plant. I was nervous at **** first, but then I sort of meditated and took deep breaths and thought that I will be more confident afterwards. And so before I went up, I went outside, smoked a blunt roach, washed up and came back ready for this speech. I had a lot mistakes from what the teacher told me(posture wise, and my talking speed which was slow and relaxed)

I liked the way I gave my speech, and I deepened it and flexed it out at the important times to give emphasis. As my last presentation( told a story for 8 minutes when my time limit was 4) I took about 12 minutes or something....everybody laughed, and all that bullsh*t. I was stoned.....
 

BustedKnucks

Don Juan
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
Location
Long Island
One time I gave a speech I wrote on the meaning of life. I really didn't care much for the assignment so I wrote it last minute about a bee I watched die in my room the night before.

Everyone loved it. Speaking is all about voice.
 
Top