Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do I really need a Plan C? (career)

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My father often says that I need to get some "salable" skill for a job. What he means is something like CNA training (so I can help old people with Alzheimer's take a dump) or a CDL (so I can drive in a big truck and be unable to do the things I want, unless it's a rare 8-5 job).

Our conversation went something like this:

Me: What about college? Isn't that useful?*

Him: You need a Plan B.

Me: What? You think that I might not be able to get a job after finishing?

Him: Yes, I think that's very possible.

Me: Well, I've seriously considered a second major. That was going to be my Plan B. You still think that's possible?

Him: Yes I do.

We concluded the conversation on a bad note, though I didn't commit to anything new. I still plan to follow through my original plan of finishing college. However, he still seems to think I should have a Plan C.

Here's some background. Very recently, I completed an Associate's degree from a local community college. Due to poor planning, I'm not going to be attending school this Spring. This is mostly my fault, and I know I messed up so there's no point in telling me how I messed up. But because of this, I cannot start attending before Summer at the earliest.

I plan to go to a four year school and get a bachelor's in Computer Science (so I could perhaps ultimately become a software engineer), and a bachelor's in Accounting (my Plan B). I picked those since both seem reasonably easy for me, and the fact that I've heard that they're pretty good majors. My grades, though initially not so great (like right after high school), are much better now. The last couple of semesters I managed to get all A's.

My father, in his day, managed to get a Master's Degree in Library Science and a Bachelor's in Theater. He wanted to work as a Librarian, and he did the Bachelor's in Theater because he figured that doing so would keep him from going crazy (I guess he was down and out at the time). Unfortunately, the job market for Librarians was not good shortly after he graduated (late 70s). In 1980 he took a job at the USPS, which he still has to this day, and he doesn't like it. The job has nothing to do with his college education, and he took it because it was the best he could do at the time. At that point he was married to my mother for a year and I guess he figured that he needed to get the money flowing. Perhaps he's afraid that what happened to him will happen to me. I suppose he's also afraid that if I fail to get a job after college he'll still have to support me.

I'm not as afraid since I figure that the majors I chose are more practical. I also figure that I should be able to get a job with at least one of those. Maybe even an Internship during the very last semester if I'm lucky.

I also figure that even if it doesn't work out, I'll just keep going and get my Master's in Computer Science, something I plan to do anyway.

I figure that my majors are more practical than the majors he chose, so risk is less likely. There isn't a 100% chance of success, but I don't suppose anything does. Nevertheless, I'm still wondering:

Are his concerns warranted?

Ben

*-I do sincerely believe that college is useful, though not for the same reasons the school may want you to believe. While my opinions may be more cynical than what schools tell you, I still think college is a good idea.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Follow your dreams and passions, do whatever you believe deep down you are meant for before you can no longer feel the deep down because superficial fluffery has overtaken your soul. :D

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's about projection.

Your dad believes that he failed (his life), and he is now projecting his long term negativity on your. The same way a mother disappointed by her husband will tell the daughter that all men are pigs and she needs a plan B besides marriage.

I say follow your dreams, don't let other people's negativity, be it your father's, stop you.:up:

However, your father's experience is far from being irrelevent or useless, it's the perfect illustration that dead-end majors/"careers" can be the worst thing in your life. I don't mean to be rude, but "Master's Degree in Library Science"? How about Ph.D in African Folklore? :rolleyes: typical dead-end thing.:nono:

Study the job market carefully and wisely, choose your major/career not solely according to your interests. Sure it's absolutely necessary to pick something you really like, but it doesn't need to be the thing you like the most. Something you like enough that will also make you happy enough financially for the rest of your life.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I worked for several years without utilizing my degree or any other job training and I still made a decent amount of money. A degree kind of prepares you for a specific job skill, but, and I can't say this enough, college is as much or as little as you want to get out of it. You can learn social skills like how to hustle people, good bargining practices and negotion, high and low social interactions and several others. You can learn economic principles, languages, mechanics. You can learn team building and team work skills. Heck you can even educate yourself in the criminal and black market arts if you want to go that route.

What I'm driving at is there's a multiude of things that can be done and used in the real world in a college enviroment that can help you succeed outside the role of the job you educated for. I was going to a mechanics school and learn how to fix and tune bikes (which i know how to do now anyway) as a "back up plan" for my degree until I graduated and worked 4 or 5 jobs that were completely unrelated to my major and I still made quite a bit of money. I did realize I wanted to work in my major exclusively during that time and have since taken the necessary steps to further my career under my terms but the other jobs I worked I took alot from and was completely prepared for each because of college. I suggest you look around and think about the potential of the school you're in and spend time doing things other the studying and drinking at this place to better your chances if you feel that those elements will not suffice.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Parisien, I'm curious what your degree is in and what you do. You seem to see university as a sort of "pre-professional degree factory," which it doesn't have to be at all. There's legitimacy in many higher degrees, including library science, and not every course of study has to be financially motivated.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
Parisien, I'm curious what your degree is in and what you do. You seem to see university as a sort of "pre-professional degree factory," which it doesn't have to be at all. There's legitimacy in many higher degrees, including library science, and not every course of study has to be financially motivated.
Ok, I'm a typical product of the French education system. Long studies and people get their degrees "once for all".

I have:

- A French master's degree in "General Engineering" from a top ten French "elite" engineering school

- One Master's Of Science in Computer Science from Penn State

- One master's degree in marketing from the best French business school (HEC for those who know)

I will be starting as a product manager for one of the biggest/most successful cosmetics company in the world...:D

I don't see college as a "pre-professional degree factory", it's more for your development as a person, you won't even use 10% of what you learn once in the real world. You better use this time/opportunity to progress as a person.

However, the choice of major/career is NOT totally irrelevent. If your ambition later is to become a golden boy in Wall Street, doing something like a Ph.D in forestry will only shut the door for you.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Paris I always thought you knew what you were doing, props on getting your shiit together.

So I got a few questions.

How did you manage to get the job (cosmetics) how hard was it to differentiate yourself from others?

How important do you think overall GPA was in getting the job?

How long do you think you will stick around there?

How lucrative is it starting right now and in the near future?

Because honestly man, I have about a year of college, and while I am doing a business major - I know that I have no desire to become an entry level sales guy for some company.. I have a few accomplishments of my own as well as heaps of self development and street smarts, but my GPA is barely below 3.0

Just wondering what kind of advice you'd have looking back, and keep us posted about your progress, it sounds pretty exciting, and can you say TONS OF HOT WOMEN AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES?! ;)