Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

do any of you mountan bike

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im just curious mainly. ive been mountain biking for a few years and its one thing that i could do all day. when im not doing it i miss it. do any of you that mountain bike have problems finding trails. alot of times we go on hiking trails that say "no bikes" because thats the only place to go.

willo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah i do,
My mates and i just go up the mountain near where we live there are a few tracks there (not official tracks mind you).
Good times :)

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
Nope. No good mountain type areas around my way to bike, and if their were, i wouldnt be doing it anyway.

willo

Don Juan
Reaction score
My Bike

Well,
I used to have a giant, i'd had i for ages (approximately 6 years) but i cracked the frame and when the back axle snapped i gave up on fixing the bastard. Because i ride the thing so hard/stupidly, this time i just got a crap $300 frame of some crap brand (southern star i think) so then if i fark it up it doesn't matter too much; and transfer all the old parts. The funny part about generic brands is they look kind of like the good brands but little things you notice are not quite right.
Cheers
What do you ride?

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ive got a gieant thats held up for me great. i hope my frame doesnt crack though hehe. my bikes nice but im more proud of my kevlar tires than of my bike itself. when i first got it i would pop a tire every time i rodeit. best investment ive made. i want disc brakes though but i think im just gonna wait till my next bike.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 2004 Specialized Rockhopper with disc brakes for a little under $500. What do you guys think of the Rockhopper?

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ive always heard good from that. go for it definately. under 500 is great if you ask me

Maurizio

Don Juan
Reaction score
Specialized is a good company, but if you ask me I wouldn't want disc breaks on a bike costing less that $1500. When you're looking at bikes in the cheaper ranges especially (sub 600) it's foolish to get things like disc breaks or rear suspension -- because at low prices, those features are just being used as gimmicks.

Having disc breaks on a 500 dollar bike is just trying to draw in the consumer, while a pair of decent v-breaks (rim breaks) would probably suit you better (discs can be bent easily and ruined, generate rub when not adjusted properly, and are heavier). Without the discs, more money can go into spec'ing nicer drive train components which are important.

I have a Schwinn Homegrown Limited (Full XTR, SID Race). I used to race it, but these days I've pretty much turned into a full fledged roadie and have been road racing exclusively for the last three years. I still know my stuff though about mtn bikes, and could probably still hold my own on a trail...

- Maurizio

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Maurizio
Specialized is a good company, but if you ask me I wouldn't want disc breaks on a bike costing less that $1500. When you're looking at bikes in the cheaper ranges especially (sub 600) it's foolish to get things like disc breaks or rear suspension -- because at low prices, those features are just being used as gimmicks.
I hear 'ya. Here's the scoop, I'm a road cyclist. I've been MB only a couple of times. I primarily want to MB to work on my skills and to have something to ride during the winter.

My road bike is a Specialized Allez Elite and I love it so I looked at the Rockhopper. The only negative hit that I could see is that it was heavy but for a hardtail, it rode very well.

So give me more feedback since I'm not looking to do anything other than skills and keeping in shape. Oh yeah, I'm an old fart so be kind... :p

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I HATE MY BRAKES. thats why i want disc brakes so bad. i went mountain biking the other bday and it was raining and the whole time i hear this high pitched shhhhhhhh cuz i had stuff in between the brakes and the rims. and then the cables got so streched out my brakes hardly worked by the end.

i just want the disc brakes because i think it would be alot less maintainance and annoyance when riding

Maurizio

Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco: I'm not syaing that the disc breaks are a "deal breaker" for purchasing the Rockhopper. It's probably still pretty solid and should hold up as fine as any other bikes to the abuse and neglect of winter riding.

Another option you might want to consider for off season and winter riding is a single speed bike. You can build a pretty nice single speed for $500 considering there's no drivetrain and you lose a lot of the costs there. Just remember to put on a front break so it's safe to take on busy roads. It will really build strength on all the hills, and it'll improve your stroke and force you to spin on all the flats and downhills.

Lt Dan: I hear ya. But maybe you just need better V-breaks. Something is seriously wrong if your breaks require lots of maintenance. All you should need is new break pads maybe once a year (unless your riding a lot...) and the occasional phillips head adjustment to make sure you have the pads equidistant from the rim. You'll have to replace disc break pads too and have them adjusted properly as well. You also need to be carful to not hit the rotor on a rock or something. Plus if you get hydraulic discs, then you'll need to change the fluid every so often, and that can be a mess. Did I mention they cost more?

I'm not trying to bash discs, because the certainly have the potential to be much stronger than rim breaks, as well as work better in the elements -- and those factors can be important to some people's riding style. I'm just saying that you shouldn't make the switch on the basis of maintenance.

- Maurizio

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
imnot gonna switch brakes. illjust do it when i get a new bike. but i have a wuestion i hope yallcan answer.
i went mountain biking today and i got a flat. whaaaaa. the thing is i have kevlar tires and the hole is inside the rim. the part that touches the rim you know. the tubes might havebeen old and theat might have been the only problem and i did get a new tube but if its something else tellme.

Maurizio

Don Juan
Reaction score
Either you got a pinchflat -- which is when a piece of the tube gets caught between the bead of the tire and the rim and tears and is caused by low inflation pressures...

or

Your rim tape (the tape that covers up the spoke holes on the inside of the rim) could have shifted over time (this especcially happens if you ride your bike in wet conditions a lot) and uncovered a spoke hole that your tube got snagged on.

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks i think it was option number b. after we rode in the rain we decided agood way to clean our bikes and ourselves was to rid into the lake. it worked but it gave my bike a cold

Enduro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
I hear 'ya. Here's the scoop, I'm a road cyclist. I've been MB only a couple of times. I primarily want to MB to work on my skills and to have something to ride during the winter.

My road bike is a Specialized Allez Elite and I love it so I looked at the Rockhopper. The only negative hit that I could see is that it was heavy but for a hardtail, it rode very well.

So give me more feedback since I'm not looking to do anything other than skills and keeping in shape. Oh yeah, I'm an old fart so be kind... :p
A fellow road biker. Decent bike. I have a Kestrel KM40 for the TTs and a Trek 5500.

My beautiful Kestrel: http://www.kestrel-usa.com/products/triathlon/km40.html