Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Distal Biceps Ruture

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I'd make a little video series detailing my recovery process from my left distal biceps rupture.

In a nutshell, I tore my left distal biceps tendon friday while deadlifting 500. I wasnt doing anything stupid or too out of the ordinary, it was just an aggressive pull and the tendon went "pop-pop-pop!". I describe it in detail in the video.

I stumbled over my words a few times so just to clarify I was talking about the pain receptors in the tendon "cooling off" after the tendon retracted a bit and the initial trauma subsided.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/jF0qgwft2Zk

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Props for mentioning Elliott Hulse....I learn sooo much from watching his stuff. Interesting talk on your injury too, hope all goes well.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Had surgery today. Went MUCH better than expected...I was super nervous for days. Nerve block is wearing off and its getting sore!! I'll post a video in the next two days. Cast and a sling for the next week.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those nerve blocks are weird....I had one for my knee surgery (tore everything but acl) and it lasted 2 days...wore off and the soreness came

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just curious but do you take steroids? just wondering if maybe the tear was due to that

Voice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wondering about your thoughts on doing deadlifts especially heavy ones with bilateral overhand grip. That might avoid this type of injury especially since by fully supinating your forearm you are putting extra pressure on that biceps tendon. Or maybe even using a deadlift bar.

BTW I always do alternate overhand/underhand grip as well and was just wondering about your thoughts. I'm actually a PT student.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Part II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2swluIXp0

Voice:

I've used the over/under grip for about 10 years, never had an issue until now. But I sh!t you not when I say I will NEVER use that grip again. It places way too much strain on that distal biceps tendon with heavy loads. If I ever pull again I will use the double overhand, maybe with straps.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey dude, sorry about that injury. Lifting gets a lot more complicated anytime your bi tendon is compromised. Awesome idea to post these videos and document your recovery and progress.

I'm currently switching over to trap bar DL vs. regular as I can barely pull 315 x 1 with overhand grip. Got 480 x 1 w/ the trapbar though!

What's your take on trap bar work and protection of bicep tendons?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Fug.

I think anything neutral grip is going to less stressful on that distal attachment. Overhand with straps I think is fine as well....just watch out for supinated exercises. They are almost always the culprit with distal biceps tears. Tire flips, deads, preacher curls, lifting a heavy couch....all potential biceps disasters.

goundra

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, that's the trouble with all that "train to exhaustion", "max weight-1-2 rep" bs. it's just not worth it. It has injured millions. It's a crock of shyte.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, that brace looks BADAZZZ!!! You look like a cyborg that can punch through cement walls!

Your arms' still bigger than mine so don't feel bad!

Do you have a time line for when you're back 100%? Good luck, I know its gotta suck to not be able to train and have an injury like that.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
Colossus, sorry to hear about the injury and good luck on the recovery bro. It's stories like this that really make me want to avoid deadlifts and squats.
That's why I've avoided them for so long...I was scared. But once you get solid form, and don't try to get ahead of yourself as far as weight...the benefits are awesome.

U

user43770

Thank you for this post. I've been deadlifting for 7-8 years and I didn't even know this was possible! No more over/under for me. I'll use straps if I have to.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Dude, that brace looks BADAZZZ!!! You look like a cyborg that can punch through cement walls!

Your arms' still bigger than mine so don't feel bad!

Do you have a time line for when you're back 100%? Good luck, I know its gotta suck to not be able to train and have an injury like that.

Haha thanks man, I was pretty pumped the brace looked cool. If only it had real hydraulics so I could smash cars and sh!t!!

Timeline is about 6 weeks post op until I can start resistance, and 3 months until activity as tolerated. 6 months realistically until full activity without reservation, like heavy pulling, climbing, that sort of thing. But I already have 95% ROM at 2 weeks post op, so I think I'll be ahead of the curve.

bradd80 said:
Colossus, sorry to hear about the injury and good luck on the recovery bro. It's stories like this that really make me want to avoid deadlifts and squats.
Thanks man, but there's really no need to avoid those exercises. I was pulling very heavy and aggressively and I paid the biceps price. As long as you are coached on proper form and avoid the supinated grip with deads, you'll be fine. With squats there is a huge learning curve, so it's essential to have an experienced lifter coach you on form. Most guys dont do (proper) squats because they are hard!! But everyone should, IMO. Weight is kind of irrelevant, that can be tailored to your goals. Form, form, and more form.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hope the recovery goes well, big man.

Colossus said:
I've used the over/under grip for about 10 years, never had an issue until now. But I sh!t you not when I say I will NEVER use that grip again. It places way too much strain on that distal biceps tendon with heavy loads. If I ever pull again I will use the double overhand, maybe with straps.
Hook grip baby.

I switched a while ago (learned from Brad Gillingham) due to a hip related injury so that I'd have even lats tightness on both sides. Took 4 weeks to adapt, and I haven't looked back. I've coached a few to switch over and they all love it.

There are many benefits, but one of those is, related to your injury, that it forces you to squeeze the bar off the platform instead of jerking it off the ground (hence the bicep injury).