Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dips on Tri Day or Chest Day?

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I split my routine like this:

Mon: Chest/Bis
Wed: Back/Tris
Fri: Shoulders/Legs

Since dips work the tris and lower chest substantially, what is the better day to do them? I find that I have trouble doing them on Wed, as my chest is still recovering from Monday. Also, I don't like my tris to be shot for Wed if I do dips on Monday. I want to isolate the chest and tris seperately so I hit each hard.

Thanks for the input

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on if you are doing tricep-style dips (straight up) or chest dips (leaning forward), although I would suggest switching your split to chest/tri and back/bi, because the best exercises for chest/tri work the other muscle too (such as bench, incline, dips, etc) and the same goes for back/bi exercises (chins, close grip chins, deadlifts, pullups, bentover rows).

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
why da fvck are you doing chest and bi on one day and back and tri on another.

WTF:confused:

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of guys will do chest/bi, back/tri, including myself on occassion. It allows you to be nearly fresh with the given arm muscle instead of having it largely fatigued before any actual working sets. What's so strange about it?

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Metaphor
A lot of guys will do chest/bi, back/tri, including myself on occassion. It allows you to be nearly fresh with the given arm muscle instead of having it largely fatigued before any actual working sets. What's so strange about it?
How about that it sucks because you can't do ANY multijoint lifts while on it, and those are the best mass builders for the given muscles?

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ IronGirevik
I would suggest switching your split to chest/tri and back/bi, because the best exercises for chest/tri work the other muscle too
That's true, but don't you run the risk of overtraining, and hence not getting the results you want? I've found that isolating them seperately lets you hit them harder, and allowing them enough time to recover. To each his own.

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ IronGirevik
How about that it sucks because you can't do ANY multijoint lifts while on it, and those are the best mass builders for the given muscles?

What exactly are you talking about? Virtually all chest and back exercises are multijoint. So your implication that you can't do multijoint exercises while on a back/tri, chest/bi split makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Broken down further, and to give an example, if I could choose only one tricep exercise to do for the rest of my life, it certainly wouldn't be flat barbell or dumbell pressing. This is the crux of your argument, and if you say you wouldn't select these "multijoint" exercises either, then your point doesn't hold water.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Metaphor
What exactly are you talking about? Virtually all chest and back exercises are multijoint. So your implication that you can't do multijoint exercises while on a back/tri, chest/bi split makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Broken down further, and to give an example, if I could choose only one tricep exercise to do for the rest of my life, it certainly wouldn't be flat barbell or dumbell pressing. This is the crux of your argument, and if you say you wouldn't select these "multijoint" exercises either, then your point doesn't hold water.
You can, but you can't keep true to the split, and your workout will suffer if you're trying to hit each group one day a week. Unless all you do are DB flyes and reverse flyes, then good luck keeping up with the split, because when you bench or dip you're going to work both chest and triceps, and if you chin, pullup or row, then you are going to work the biceps. Try reading Miles' dilemma if you want to understand where I'm coming from.

Miles, how would you overtrain on that split if you are supposedly not working them as hard? Overtraining is overrated.

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, well I see we're you're coming from more so if you want to strictly work one body part a week. Then again..that's like saying you need to work your shoulders on chest day too, because the front deltoid is subject to a large amount of work through the arm extension. My point was..I'd like to be as close to fresh as possible when doing the most productive tricep exercises. Training the chest, followed by the triceps, is essentially just pre-exhausting the arms, which, while good to do on occassion, I don't think should be a every workout type of thing. I think if you tried this type of split you'd like it, if not for anything but the variety. You really can hit the triceps/biceps significantly harder.

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks DJ IronGirevik and Metaphor for your responses. You guys both offer solid, different viewpoints.

Miles, how would you overtrain on that split if you are supposedly not working them as hard? Overtraining is overrated.
The split I was speaking of was the Chest/Tri split. Maybe not overtraining per se, but more of how Metaphor phrased it:

Training the chest, followed by the triceps, is essentially just pre-exhausting the arms, which, while good to do on occassion, I don't think should be a every workout type of thing.
I agree with this, and this is my main reason for doing the muscle groups on different days.

The only solution here is to keep mixing it up. You don't want to get stuck in a totally rigid routine. I used to do Chest/Tri on the same day and liked it, then a buddy suggested to split em and I started liking that. Might be time soon to switch it up again.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your working to hard if your bis are still hurt on wed. Try doing less reps. A lot of professionals just do one set till their muscels can't work anymore then do the next workout. Say you can only do 20 pushes of bi's one day till your muscels don't work. wait one day then tommarow do as many as you can again. It works sorta. Just find your own groove and stick with it. But you should be able to do chest bi arm tri ect. all in one day udr an hour