Difference between handsome, hot, pretty and cute?

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A girl said I was pretty.
I'm wondering where I stand in her eyes.

I mean, I figure if she said "you're hot" then she's probably game for some boinkin'.

If she called me "handsome" then I would assume thats a more manly and rugged version of "pretty".

And "pretty" to a girl means 'attractive' in more of a primped metro way than OB way.

And "cute" is more on the friend end of the spectrum...as in you're viewed as more harmless.

Reagan2

Banned
Reaction score
I remember some girl told me I look like Joey McIntyre. Yeah the guy from New Kids on the Block. I was devastated. But I know she meant it in a good way, but still. What a slap in the face.

Mr. Unique

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cute can mean anything, a girl can find an athletic guy attractive and she'll call him cute. cute can be a good thing or it could be a bad thing like if she thinks your adorable.

Hot is the best because it means you turn her on.

pretty can mean your too girly looking, too good looking or dress too well, its mostly a bad thing because it means you feminine.

I think of Handsome as a well dressed clean cut person who decided to look good today.

I get the cute thing alot.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
ive been called "beautiful".

WTF

Keeper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Julian
ive been called "beautiful".

WTF
:crackup:

Well... a girl calling you 'pretty' is like a guy calling a girl 'handsome'. :-/

Pretty gay, if you ask me. Primed metro sorta way? I say gay sorta way.

Heh, though being called 'sexy' is still the bestest! :-D

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's he look like?
Rugged!
You mean good looking?
No. Rugged
What's the difference?
Good looking is when you look yourself in the mirror all day. Rugged is when everybody looks at YOU. ;)

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ice Cold
What's he look like?
Rugged!
You mean good looking?
No. Rugged
What's the difference?
Good looking is when you look yourself in the mirror all day. Rugged is when everybody looks at YOU. ;)
you took that from a simpson's episode didnt you? i remember that so clearly.

Altho i find rugged to be rarely used by people. maybe cause there arent much of those guys around.

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The only time I hear "rugged" is when I have my thick facial stuble going on, but I don't think they mean it as the "everyone looks at this guy" sort of way.

Cute, I think, can mean different things. If a girl is asked what she thinks of you and she says "cute", that's pretty much the typical "I'm not interested in him but don't want to hurt his feelings" response. If a girl tells another girl you're "cute" and it gets back to you, that seems to signal interest.

Handsome is clean cut, old fashioned good looks, with more manly features (big jaw, large nose, ect).

Pretty is for good looking guys with more girly features, and is more of a meterosexual.

That's how I've always looked at it. I could be and probably am wrong in a few aspects since I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm just throwing this out there.

wavejams007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Reagan2
I remember some girl told me I look like Joey McIntyre. Yeah the guy from New Kids on the Block. I was devastated. But I know she meant it in a good way, but still. What a slap in the face.
You look like Joey McIntyre.

:p j/k.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SamMalone
The only time I hear "rugged" is when I have my thick facial stuble going on, but I don't think they mean it as the "everyone looks at this guy" sort of way.

Cute, I think, can mean different things. If a girl is asked what she thinks of you and she says "cute", that's pretty much the typical "I'm not interested in him but don't want to hurt his feelings" response. If a girl tells another girl you're "cute" and it gets back to you, that seems to signal interest.

Handsome is clean cut, old fashioned good looks, with more manly features (big jaw, large nose, ect).

Pretty is for good looking guys with more girly features, and is more of a meterosexual.

That's how I've always looked at it. I could be and probably am wrong in a few aspects since I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm just throwing this out there.
I find your definitions to be pretty accurate.

Let me add, if a girl calls you HOT, usually it means they're sexually turned on by you. And very much want you.

MightyMate

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Handsome - nie lloking, clean etc. Mainly if You are nly said to be handsome.. it means like with girls.. You kno some are preet but You dont want em coz they aint sexy.
Hot - She wants You.
Preety - Ok looking, nice character.
Cute - She could marry You.

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm.
Yeah, I think I get pegged for being a little metro.

I don't really dress up that much. I just wear jeans, sneakers, wallet chain and an untucked, collared long-sleeve shirt, most always.

I've been called handsome too. But not in the chiseled, rugged sense. More in the exotic, cultured sense.

Guess it must be the baby-face. And I gotta put on some pounds.

.illadelph

Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm actually beginning to delve into that 'metro' look...not that ryan secrest type ****...or that tight ass wearing jeans type stuff...

i just mean, really clean cut, and dressing very sharp.

almost GQ type, but not quite up to that standard..i mean i'm only 18

like a casual GQ...

brands like....banana republic, express, diesel...ect..

i'm called HOT, handsome, and cute...never pretty.

Silverback82

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hot means she wants you

the rest can mean she wants you or she just doesn't think you are ugly

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think your personality and the way you carry yourself also has a lot to do with what word women use to describe you. Handsome is more old time gentleman, hot is a center of attention type of guy, cute is the nice/sweet guy, ect.

SDBmania

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's all good

I think it matters more how they say it. I got called cute alot. Nice and cute is what girls used to use to describe me in Jr High and High School.

Hot is probably the best, but I'd say pretty, handsome, and cute are still good. It's better then nothing.

I expecially like cute, I think it makes more of a modest but mysterous statement since cute can mean so many different things.

Way

Don Juan
Reaction score
If I may say so: It doesn't matter what she thinks.

If she calls you pretty don't say "thanks." Next time say "I should teach you something about it", "I know! It's so tough, I can't walk two feet without a girl grabbing my ass", or "Yea, I'm thinking about charging people to be around me"

Personally I think a subtle neg would be really effective here. It would completely reframe her view of you. We will never know for sure what a woman means, but if pretty means "I like you, but I like you like a little sister or a gay friend" then the neg will shatter that image and make her assign a more powerful image to you.

If you're still thinking about it... She didn't call you ugly. So you're still in the game and that's better than most chumps. Don't worry about it :D

Don Ronny

Banned
Reaction score
Anytime a girl has called me cute, I have either hooked up with them, or later found out they wanted me.

However I have seen girls prick tease and call guys cute when they would never date them.

You're cute can = I want to devour you

It can also = You remind me of my baby brother

It's not what they say but HOW they say it. You spend nuff time dealin with females, you start to learn the subtle cues in their intonation which signal interest.

A lot of you fools need to get in the field before spouting your 2 cents.