Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Didn't get message until over a week later - Sprint and the bloody Samsung phone SUCK

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is more a rant than anything else.

I met an interesting, bright, cute gal at a show, got her number, and called her to inform her of an event I was going to check out the next day. It was short notice, so I didn't expect her to go, really. Never heard from her... or so I thought.

Then I checked my messages over a week later, and it turns out she called me back the very same evening I called her, thanking me enthusiastically for telling her about the event, but also informing me she wasn't available on account of a prior commitment (which I won't reveal here, for anonymity's sake), sounding very pleased that I called and eager to hear from me again soon.

The call evidently did not go through to my phone (went straight to voice mail), and there was never any notification of a missed call or message on my phone, either. Damn, I hate Sprint and this awful Samsung phone they gave me. :cuss:

I've lost some business on account of this crappy phone, too. I'd have to pay more for a better phone, but I don't want to give them any more of my money. Until then, I just have to make it a point to call my voice mail whenever I think of it. What a waste of time.

Regarding the gal, I called her to tell her of some other upcoming events, and left a message again. What happens is what happens. I suppose it could have been worse if she was available and interested in going, and I didn't get the call or the message.

Still, it p1sses me off to possibly have a hot one cool off on account of lousy phone service. It was so much less complicated in the land line days!

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Verizon's plans suck. I need unlimited incoming for my business, and prefer a national plan. Nextel, Sprint, and Metro PCS have unlimited incoming, but Metro's coverage is supposed to be very bad.

I had Nextel, but foolishly switched to Sprint to get unlimited outgoing calling starting at 7pm, rather than 9pm for $5 more per month. Definitely wasn't worth it, all things considered: the Nextel Motorola phone was big & clunky, but had no such problems.

Time to hit Ebay and look for a better Sprint phone, I suppose.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is that the new Samsung with the touchtone keys that cut you off when you put the phone to your ear? Lot of people complaining about those, get the deal called off because the phone is rubbish.

rrrrr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think it's Sprint, I think it's Samsung. I had an old Samsung phone, and it was great. No problems whatsoever until the Caller ID screen went blank, finally the inside screen went blank, but maybe leaving them in my hot car had to deal with that. I get another Samsung phone, I didn't realize til later, no Caller ID on the outside of it. People will call me, and it doesn't ring, it just goes to voicemail, I don't get messages til much later, it takes forever to turn on, my text messages don't get sent, I don't get text messages until much later, I don't know when a voicemail was actually sent to me when my phone is off. It sounds like you're having the same problems I am, I will never get a Samsung again. Also, Sprint locks you into these contracts and automatically renews them. I don't know of a model number because it doesn't have one. It's a big one, silver, with a little black oval with the SAMSUNG logo on it, where caller ID SHOULD BE.

baller

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
The call evidently did not go through to my phone (went straight to voice mail), and there was never any notification of a missed call or message on my phone, either. Damn, I hate Sprint and this awful Samsung phone they gave me. :cuss:

Do you know the reason why it went to your voicemail...if you dont i ll tell you.

When you dont get any reception there is no phone...therefore call goes straight to voicemail... same as if it was off!

i got Verizon and sometimes at my apts there is just zero reception (walls are too thick) nothing you can really do there. Get a house phone lol

If not Text Messaging works Super ;) and when you want to talk to the chik, and not give away the power (aka Calling) text messagin works perfect, and even picture messaging of smthn stupid, works like a charm :D

baller

Don Juan
Reaction score
also my friend got an LG sprint phone, badass phone however still doesnt get reception at our apt complex

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't use Sprint or Verizon. They don't use GSM. Use Cingular or T-mobile.

GSM is better because A) outside of the U.S., GSM is the standard, and B) GSM uses SIM cards, which segregate the phone from the provider.

The SIM card is great because if you need a new phone, then just swap the SIM into the new phone. You don't need to involve the carrier. It works the other way too. If you want a new carrier, swap out the old SIM for a new SIM, and keep the phone.

WORD OF WARNING: If you buy the phone through the carrier's stores, or a reseller, the phone will probably be locked so it'll only work with that carrier's SIM cards. Buy an unlocked phone. I think Cingular and T-mobile will give you unlock codes after meeting certain conditions (having the contract for a certain period of time), but I'm not sure.

Also, if using your phone in other countries is important, be sure the phone works on the frequencies over there. North America uses 850MHz and 1900MHz, but other countries seem to use 900MHz and 1800MHz. But this can be solved by just getting a "quad-band" phone, that works on everything.

Baller, how old are you? I got the impression that text messages are only used by pre-teen girls, since they can't talk in class. As far as I know, no one I know uses them. I don't, nor do my parents. I even have text message block, so people can't send me any and rack up my bill.

rrrrr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You lost me when you said GSM. Sorry you're a little too late, it would be a huge PIA to switch now because Sprint likes to trap their customers.

Scorched

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I also would not know I have voice mails when I was with Sprint. I had a Palm One - Treo 650... I recently switch from Sprint to Verizon and I am pleased. I sold my Treo and now use a Motorola - Razor. I now get voice mails and texts on time.

I changed due to Sprint's lack of service in the apartment building I live in.

My bill is also 20 dollars cheaper...

---

I suspect not getting the voice mails maybe due to the phone... My girlfriend changed phones recently and now gets pictures sent through text instantly. Where previously it took up to 24 hours to recieve a picture I would send her...

---

I wonder if you could call and complain to Sprint and threaten to move to Verizon. "I'm losing clients over this!" LOL. Maybe get a newer phone for free. Social Engineering is fun. :)

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rrrrr said:
You lost me when you said GSM. Sorry you're a little too late, it would be a huge PIA to switch now because Sprint likes to trap their customers.
That's true. All carriers, at least here in the U.S., have ETF's (early termination fees), or a sum that people have to pay to end their contracts early. I've heard of $150 and $250 per line (so family plans cost a lot to end early).

Verizon charges $175, but I've heard they'll pro-rate if the plan was started November 16th, 2006 or later, to the tune of $5 off per month into the contract (so 5 months means $175 - $5 * (5 months) = $150). I haven't heard of any other carrier that's willing to do this. Verizon's reason is that they wish to prove that their customer loyalty isn't tied to vendor lock-in.

ETFs are extremely unpopular, and heavily criticized as a method of vendor lock-in. Unfortunately, they do make business sense. Carriers subsidize phones to get people to sign up. However, in order to do so, they need to ensure that the customer will use their service for a certain minimum period of time. If they don't, the carrier will experience a loss due to the subsidy.

These subsidies are massive. Example: A Motorola RAZR V3i, a popular phone, may cost $100 if you get a two year contract with it. But an unlocked (and thus unsubsidized) RAZR V3i costs $220. A more extreme example: A Palm Treo 750 costs $400-$500 with a two year contract, yet an unlocked one costs $650-$750. You know those "free" phones that you'll get. Well, there's no such thing as a free lunch, and you better be sure you like the phone and the service.

If your needs are simple, I'd recommend an unlocked GSM phone and using a SIM for prepaid minutes, so no contract (though another, less desirable choice is single year contracts). But, it's not feasible if you talk a lot (thus the one year contract idea). I'm also unsure if you can get Internet access through prepaid (not a concern for most people).

I realize that these posts are long, but if I've educated just a few people here it's worth it. Perhaps this should go into AE, since this seems to have turned into a cell phone thread.

Scorched

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Abbott how long have you worked for Verizon?
I'm just kidding. :)

Later

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scorched said:
Abbott how long have you worked for Verizon?
I'm just kidding. :)

Later
I've never worked for Verizon, or any company of it's type. Technology, or more specifically, mobile phones and computers, is just a personal interest of mine so I try to keep up to date.

Unfortunately, this is an interest of mine that I don't like to let others know about, unless I know for a fact that they're into it too. It's nerdy, uncool, and not at all sexy, since society hates intellectuals. Thankfully I receive very few comments about my Treo, and how it's big for a mobile phone. I can reveal this interest here, since A) I've yet to meet anyone here in person, and B) none of us will admit it, but just by coming to this board makes us all nerds to a certain degree.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info overload, guys, but unlimited incoming calls any time for something less than an arm and a leg is an absolute MUST, and as far as I know, Sprint, Nextel, and Metro PCS are the only games in town for about $50-60 US per month with unlimited incoming.

I'm sure it is the phone, more than the provider. When I have a few more spare minutes I'll see if I can snag a better Sprint-compatible phone someone's looking to unload. Don't need any bells & whistles, and prefer not to have a camera phone, because I can't take them into some buildings in which I do business. If that doesn't fly, I may just eat the early termination fee and go with Metro PCS just to take my business away from these azz-clowns.

As for the gal, I've not heard from her yet, but it's not been very long since I called, and I have enough other irons in the fire I'd just as soon have the lower IL ones next themselves.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
I can attest that Verizon wireless isn't any better then Cingular or Sprint. Sometimes I don't get my messages for over 48 hours. When I took my phone in to get the firmware upgrade the tech told me it's not unusual but not a big enough issue for VW to address.