Diabetics and diets/strength training

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys when a diabetic has to lose some fat, do you have any pointers that could be different from a normal person working out?

I'm aware that if your sugar is high, it's harder to lose fat. But I've been reading lately about an "insulin spike" you guys talk about. Not sure what that is, but since a diabetic has no insulin, what's the difference?

Also carbs should be kept to a minimum on fat loss. Diabetics though need more carbs as it's their only source of energy.

I swear this diabetes has ****ed over my diet, since there were nights I had to eat a carb meal before bed to raise my low sugar level. But I have to live with that.

Anything else I should know though? Anything for I should watch out when being a diabetic?

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
smooth guy said:
Also carbs should be kept to a minimum on fat loss. Diabetics though need more carbs as it's their only source of energy.
Bad carbs (processed sugar, white or bleached breads, junk food) will fvck up a diabetic faster than a bullet.

We need to get our carbs from whole grains and vegetables. Stick to meat but limit the dairy stuff if you want to lose belly fat.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
smooth guy said:
since a diabetic has no insulin
this depends on the type of diabetes. type I (formerly 'juvenile onset') diabetics produce no insulin. they had better damn well listen to whatever the doctor tells them, and have no business getting advice from any of us.

type II (formerly 'adult onset' until fat kids started getting it too) diabetics DO produce insulin, but their tissues have been flooded with it for so long that they develop a resistance.

both types benefit greatly from moving their diet towards meat, dairy, high-fiber vegetables, low-sugar fruits, and away from all processed foods. if your doctor isn't already telling you this, or putting you in touch with a nutritionist, he's a malpractice suit waiting to happen (my experience though is that most of us tune them out when they start giving advice we don't want to hear.....)

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
this depends on the type of diabetes. type I (formerly 'juvenile onset') diabetics produce no insulin. they had better damn well listen to whatever the doctor tells them, and have no business getting advice from any of us.

both types benefit greatly from moving their diet towards meat, dairy, high-fiber vegetables, low-sugar fruits, and away from all processed foods. if your doctor isn't already telling you this, or putting you in touch with a nutritionist, he's a malpractice suit waiting to happen (my experience though is that most of us tune them out when they start giving advice we don't want to hear.....)
Yeah that's the whole beauty of it :rolleyes:

Type 1 over here unfortunately.

Yea most of my carb sources come from whole grain breads and flakes, salads, lentil, etc.

As for the doctor, it's been years since I last visited a doctor for diabetes. I got diabetes at 9 years old, but I think I pretty much know how to handle it by now.

The ****ty part of it is that most of the advice given by doctors on diabetes are the opposite of what's said about fat loss.
I have a manual right here in front of me as I type this, about how to control diabetes.

1. Eat bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, cornflakes, etc :rolleyes:

2. eat 3 meals a day :rolleyes:

3. Eat legumes

4. Eat at least 5 fruits a day (I think that's too much carbs in a single day)

A lot of stuff you guys say was mentioned - I posted the parts that don't agree though.

Doctors also say though that too much protein can be bad for you, yet you guys base your entire meals on protein and are in better shape than ever. Alex even takes twice the protein than suggested and sounds to be in pretty good shape.

I'm just making this topic hoping to get an answer I wanna hear. :D

Any other type 1 diabetics wanna share their experience, how diabetes affected their fat loss/bulking up?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any doctor recommending grains to a diabetic should be shot. :D In fact he's just spouting off the guidelines he learned at med school (but remember who sets the syllabus for med schools..) so it's not really his fault.

Either way though, the same rules apply as Throttle said. Protein, fat, vegetables, low GI fruits. Cardio and strength training as needed. It shouldn't be any harder for you to lose fat than anyone else :)

Kuroro

Don Juan
Reaction score
smooth guy said:
I'm aware that if your sugar is high, it's harder to lose fat.
But I've been reading lately about an "insulin spike" you guys talk about.
Not sure what that is, but since a diabetic has no insulin, what's the difference?
Don't you get insulin shots?

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Any doctor recommending grains to a diabetic should be shot. :D In fact he's just spouting off the guidelines he learned at med school (but remember who sets the syllabus for med schools..) so it's not really his fault.

Either way though, the same rules apply as Throttle said. Protein, fat, vegetables, low GI fruits. Cardio and strength training as needed. It shouldn't be any harder for you to lose fat than anyone else :)
Good to hear :)

Well on a second thought I have no clue why doctors would recommend all those carbohydrates. Carbs might give you energy, but eating all those carbs would raise your blood sugar and thus make it harder to lose fat.

So I'll just stick with the basic principles you guys are doing. Diabetes was controlled a lot more smoothly since the protein and fats diet was adjusted. Seems like bodybuilders know a lot more about strength training and fat loss than doctors.

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kuroro said:
Don't you get insulin shots?
Yeah I do, several times a day.

But like I said, I'm not sure what insulin spike and its role in fat loss and was too lazy to find an article :D