"How I Made Sure No Woman Ever Friend-Zoned Me Again"

She calls you when her car breaks down. When she needs help moving. When some guy she's actually dating treats her badly.

You're the listener. The reliable one. The guy who would treat her so much better, if she'd just open her eyes.

She won't. You trained her to see you as the low-effort option — the friend who requires zero risk and zero investment. Every favor dug the hole deeper.

The "22 Rules" break the pattern. You'll stop auditioning for a role she already cast and become the man she chases instead. It starts with Rule 1.

Read more...

Developing wit

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
953
Reaction score
690
Age
30
Recently I read someone's progress journal where they were studying and practicing some trait of someone's personality in order to become that way themselves.

I don't remember who's journal or what character traits they were after but I am curious how this can be applied to wit. Im funny, but I wanna be funnier. Like Tony Stark or Vince Staples funny. Quick wit. Does anyone recall any good articles/posts about techniques to learning charisma?
 

"I'm Not Looking for Anything Serious Right Now"

When a woman says it, guys hear a confession. A heads-up. A scheduling conflict.

Here's the translation: I don't feel anything. Right now. With you.

Watch what happens when a man triggers actual attraction. The busy career, the recent breakup, the "not in a place to date" — all of it evaporates instantly. The same woman who was guarding her freedom is suddenly free every night.

The "22 Rules" explain why. When the right switches flip, her timeline rearranges itself around you.

Read more...

lamath

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
2,714
Reaction score
2,659
Age
45
Location
Canada
Recently I read someone's progress journal where they were studying and practicing some trait of someone's personality in order to become that way themselves.

I don't remember who's journal or what character traits they were after but I am curious how this can be applied to wit. Im funny, but I wanna be funnier. Like Tony Stark or Vince Staples funny. Quick wit. Does anyone recall any good articles/posts about techniques to learning charisma?
TV sitcom can be a good way, i watch some rdsmax video on youtube it is more pua stuff but he is good.
 

evan12

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
313
read book "How to make women laugh" it was very effective for me .
 

Serenity

Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
5,150
Reaction score
5,056
Age
35
Location
Eye of the storm
Keep in mind that a quick wit is way harder in real life than it is in any type of scripted play, mainly because they had the benefit of time to carefully and deliberately craft it that way. I'm not saying it's impossible, but just harder than it may seem.

I often make witty comments, but the best ones are not deliberate. Being witty is an exercise in lacking fear of judgement and saying the first dumb thing that comes to mind without second thought, at least that's how it is for me. A witty response must be made immediately to be effective, by the time it takes to think about and analyze what you're about to say, it's too late and the joke may have been corrupted by restrictive thinking.

If you're looking for material to analyze humor, you've already lost the point. Like when you explain a joke it's not funny anymore. Good humor is just your imagination doing what the imagination does, shows you a caricature of reality. Your mind literally serves you the jokes, it's just that many people ruin it by analyzing and filtering it too much before it ever becomes spoken words. The hard part is to let it flow in the moment.
 

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
17,571
Reaction score
6,353
Age
50
Location
midwestern cow field 40
Watch a lot of stand up comedy, and watch, or participate in improv comedy groups.

Also, when you observe a famous comedian, go find the routines they did before they were famous, the material that got them there.
 

"She Made Her Decision Before You Finished Your Sentence"

Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.

She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.

Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.

So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.

The words come later. The impression comes first.

Read more...

fanatic22

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jan 7, 2018
Messages
416
Reaction score
329
I found that I became funnier when I was consistently listening to comedians similar to myself. Also, I think podcasts hosted by comedians are more witty/situational than stand-up comedy because it's all improv. You'll find some styles of joke are easy to repeat. For example, the "wildly incorrect guess" joke.

Friend: "I don't like my dragon tattoo."
Friend 2: "Are you getting it covered or laser removed?"
Me: "He's covering it up with a bigger dragon tattoo."

Friend: (Asking my jacked ex-marine friend): "What's your go-to drink?"
Me: "He's always back and forth between cosmos and appletinis."

Look for something that works for you and it'll probably come pretty naturally.
 

Chi Town

Banned
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
661
Reaction score
694
Age
33
Do what works for you.

Being witty has to be natural, if you have to learn then it's not natural.

Being witty might not be your thing, you might be better in other areas.
 

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Joined
Dec 16, 2015
Messages
5,415
Reaction score
7,940
Age
57
Wit is rooted in fearlessness. While well calibrated sophisticated wit is always appropriate (although at times surfing the razor's edge of appropriate), you can bomb by saying something offensive or failing to accurately read the social tolerance of your audience.

Mel Brooks plays with social boundaries of the audience constantly. Watch "The Producers" or "Blazing Saddles" as examples. When you watch "The Producers" keep in mind it runs on Broadway live in NYC and the moneyed audience is often Jewish....

People like to laugh at the absurd and things that they themselves think but would never say in polite company.

Don't be afraid to bomb. If you do, drive on. Great wit is nuanced and socially dialed in...always.
 

flowtheory

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 18, 2018
Messages
1,672
Reaction score
1,406
Age
37
Location
So Cal
Confidence, brains, being relaxed, ability to read the person(s), and simply not caring how you're perceived; you have to OWN it.

Don't be witty for the sake of trying to get a laugh, otherwise you wont be much connected to what's happening and you'll most likely overthink it all. Read more books, watch well written comedy shows (sitcoms are quite poor IMHO), be more playful with people. The best way to try it, is simply LISTEN in real conversations. When people truly listen their natural abilities will be sparked. Don't take other people, or yourself too seriously. Most people like to be razed a bit
 

"She Wants a Man, Not a Boy"

You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.

Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.

Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.

Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.

Read more...

kbbroiler1971

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
139
Reaction score
124
Age
55
Not tooting my own horn but I'm quick witted and from my experience obviously, you can't be shy however you can be introverted and be quick-witted, i'm introverted. Also, the words just come out in a flow and nothing is rehearsed obviously. Now for me, movies, TV shows I end up quoting. For e.g at work recently, someone said what were the odds of something like that happening which was a work-related issue. Then I said I'm pretty sure it wasn't 3720 to 1 which was the odds of a Falcon navigating the asteroid field in Empire. Of course, meaning the Millennium Falcon navigating the asteroid field in the Empire Strikes Back. Yeah, that's how quick-witted I could be.
 

TheProspect

Moderator
Joined
Feb 5, 2016
Messages
886
Reaction score
1,826
To piggy back on what many others have already said, it boils down to fearlessness and practice.

I am very witty in person. Like others mentioned, I don't have time to think and plan a response. I am being witty on the spot and it feels as if the words come out of my mouth the moment I think them. Comedic wit is almost like thinking out loud.

This is naturally part of my personality and I think it would be harder to learn such a skill if one is overly self-conscious of offending people or coming off poorly. I have offended many people, and made myself look like a complete idiot more times than I can count, but I think by putting myself out there constantly over time I have honed and calibrated my wit to become "nuanced and socially dialled in" as BE said.

Sharp witted humour is a great way to build rapport with women in my experience, and if you're not afraid of pushing the boundaries of that humour it can also showcase your confidence, provided your humour is based on playful banter and not inappropriate insults or tasteless comments. Social intelligence is key here.
 
Last edited:

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
953
Reaction score
690
Age
30
Thanks for the perspectives fellas.

I agree. Wit is the result of confidence, candor and timeliness. It is something that needs to be calibrated, but that can only come with experience as is with many things.
 

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 12, 2018
Messages
899
Reaction score
1,029
When you mentioned Tony Stark, are you talking about Ironman?
If so, his lines are written by someone else.

I recommend watching Real Time with Bill Maher or The Greg Gutfeld show.
Just watch it for the witty & banter humor alone by Bill or Greg, and not for the politics it's based on. The format of both of these shows are practically identical to each other.
 

"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

Billtx49

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 23, 2013
Messages
5,989
Reaction score
5,410
Location
DFW
I recommend watching Real Time with Bill Maher or The Greg Gutfeld show.
Yes, Greg Gutfeld is a prime example of spontaneous wit in motion, but I think he overdoes the funny to a large degree for the Fox media audience …
That level of continual humor in a one on one with a woman would make you look like a clown.
 
Last edited:

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
953
Reaction score
690
Age
30
I should've said Robert Downey Jr as in the person. That's what I meant.
 
Top