Depression

Thundernuts

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Look man I've been battling my own depression for awhile. Let me tell you one thing I've learned that really helps.

Find something to do.

When you find something that occupies your mind, your mind doesn't have as much time to sit there and think negative thouights. Im making a garden right now. I enjoy doing it. I can't find work, I don't have a license, and while im not happy with my situation, i know that I can work on it and eventually things will get better. I mean, yeah things could be going really bad for you, but the way of the universe, the world, and of life, is that things change. It's impossible for things to stay bad unless you want them to. Gardens don't plant themselves man.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thundernuts said:
Look man I've been battling my own depression for awhile. Let me tell you one thing I've learned that really helps.

Find something to do.

When you find something that occupies your mind, your mind doesn't have as much time to sit there and think negative thouights. Im making a garden right now. I enjoy doing it. I can't find work, I don't have a license, and while im not happy with my situation, i know that I can work on it and eventually things will get better. I mean, yeah things could be going really bad for you, but the way of the universe, the world, and of life, is that things change. It's impossible for things to stay bad unless you want them to. Gardens don't plant themselves man.
And I do exactly that, but it's only a cover up. I do something I love to occupy my mind. But then when I'm done it goes right back into thinking, and then stress and everything else builds up.

@DanelMadre: So many things trouble me, I told my dad that my life is like a cup of water. One stressful thing is one drip. But soon that cup has to overflow right?

@KarmaSutra: That's my problem, I let the past bother me. I can't stop thinking about the little things like; I should've said this instead of that. Or Why did I do this and not that? And even my current situations.

Idk, I usually eat a lot. But currently I've slowed down.

I'd like to talk to my parents about it, but I don't know what to say. Or what they'll say. I've been to a therapist before but it was for different reasons.

dat azz

Don Juan
Reaction score
OP should exercise more, eat more fruits and vegetables, and sleep a LOT. You will feel nice. Also, stop being afraid of everything. Be confident and don't give a ****.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
dat azz said:
OP should exercise more, eat more fruits and vegetables, and sleep a LOT. You will feel nice. Also, stop being afraid of everything. Be confident and don't give a ****.
Cause life is that simple....

I run 2 miles a day and hit the gym right after school for an hour Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Thundernuts

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well its good that you are working out and all that, and I'll admit that things aren't always an easy fix. What you need to do is look at the constant thing in all this. Its you.

Man everyone has a past, personally I have done some extremely dumb, LIFE ALTERING things, for women and i regret it every day. Wether or not you like it, tomorrow is gonna come, you have to wake up and just decide to change. Don't try, just do it. The past is always going to be there, its there for you to learn from it not live in it.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thundernuts said:
Man everyone has a past
That's true, and I always tell my self, what happened in the past stays in the past, I can't change it. Yet it bugs me and hurts to think about it. I'm not implying that my life is worse than everyone else, It's just. Idk... I'm done with this thread I guess, don't want to waste everyone's time.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EA Gold said:
The best thing to do is to forget about the future, let go of the past and focus on being happy right here, and right now.
Depression can be caused by many things. Stress, mineral and vitamin deficiencies... etc.

We don't know what the cause is. Just saying "hey don't worry about it, you'll be FINE just think positive!" doesn't work.

Dumbass. Stop giving advice. Look at your own life and learn something first.

OP: When did you start to really notice these problems? Do you have any other issues associated like appetite, sleeping problems, general lack of energy? Compared to what you usually should feel like.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
OP: When did you start to really notice these problems? Do you have any other issues associated like appetite, sleeping problems, general lack of energy? Compared to what you usually should feel like.
I noticed it a couple months ago, but nothing major. But up until 2 weeks ago I've been having a hard time staying awake, my energy is literally drained from me during the day, and I hardly eat anymore. I usually eat a **** ton of food, but now I skip meals.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theminatar said:
I noticed it a couple months ago, but nothing major. But up until 2 weeks ago I've been having a hard time staying awake, my energy is literally drained from me during the day, and I hardly eat anymore. I usually eat a **** ton of food, but now I skip meals.
Anything different happening to you or someone you care about? Stress from school/work? Did you change your diet? Are you on new legal or illegal drugs? What about the gym and exercise? You could be overloading your system. Heavy weights are great, but the body needs time to relax too.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Dumbass. Stop giving advice. Look at your own life and learn something first.
LOL are you kidding me, why are you telling me to look at my life when I'm not asking for help.

The op was so vague with his description of depression so I'd appreciate showing some respect and not calling people names just because they gave an opinion. This is a forum you know, you don't have the right to censor information weather its facts or opinions.

It goes to show you that its you who needs to look at your own life, because It shows me type of character you have. If something doesn't agree with your limited view of the world then you will degrade, disrespect that person and find a way to make him look bad.

I'd think twice before getting advice from a person who does things like this.

dodger

Reaction score
Theminatar said:
Depression can be a real drag. You can't wait for external things to get better before you allow yourself to be happy. It has to come from inside of your mind first. "Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at will change".

Look, you're 17 in Iowa in the dead of winter. That's Depressing! So whenever you get that sinking feeling, close your eyes and find a better feeling. Maybe It's summer and you're with your new girlfriend. Just keep switching bad feelings for better ones. If you keep doing this you will start to notice that things will start to become interesting again.

Here is the basic formula:
If you're depressed; You're thinking about the past.
If you're anxious; You're thinking about the future.
Try to get into the moment. That's the only place where anything happens and the moment is always ok.

Get some vitamin B3
Read a book called The Power of Now.
Remember, your problems will go away if you don't get too attached to them...

Miko

Reaction score
Theminatar said:
How would I know if I'm depressed? Or simply down?
The question itself says enough. Depressions really are a drag and you yourself already mentioned that you worry about many things and that you think you will fail. This is what they would a call a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Theminatar said:
So many things trouble me, I told my dad that my life is like a cup of water. One stressful thing is one drip. But soon that cup has to overflow right?
Why not just empty the cup into the sink every now and then?? It's a simple metaphor but doesn't it sound logical? If the water in your cup represents stressful things, why would you wanna keep them in your cup in the first place?

Depression is a serious issue but you really need to understand you wound up in this situation by your own thoughts. By wondering "What's the use?" or telling yourself you will fail, you get into a negative spiral.

Theminatar said:
I let the past bother me. I can't stop thinking about the little things like; I should've said this instead of that. Or Why did I do this and not that?
You might not believe this but it is a positive thing. You look at the past and see things or situations that didn't go too well. You realize those situations were not very positive. With thoughts like "I should have said this or that" you are giving yourself answers and solutions to those situations to achieve a better outcome next time you face them. Good for you! You have problemsolving talents!!! I would advice you to keep doing that with a minor tweak:

If there is something bothering you in the past: Find other ways you could have dealt with them to gain a positive outcome of that situation. Once you find one or more, you can tell yourself: Next time i get into a situation like that i will say this or do that. Period. Let it go. If you have a hard time letting go, take that situation again and see it as a future situation. Run it in your mind up to the point where you found a better way to deal with it. Apply that new approach and see how the situation changes for you. How the outcome feels better. Be proud of yourself that you learned from the first situation and that next time, you will confidently know what to say or do. So you see? You have the ability to learn from your past and create solutions to your problems.

Theminatar said:
I'd like to talk to my parents about it, but I don't know what to say. Or what they'll say.
If you knew what they were gonna say, you wouldnt have to talk to them. Stop thinking for your parents and think for yourself. What would i really want to say to them? What is bothering me? With what problem or situation could i do with a little help? Let your parents surprise you. They've been on this earth a little longer than you and they have experiences of their own.

DanelMadr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, are you self pitying yourself? That is highway to hell. I stopped doing that (forced myself to stop) when 9 or 10yo and it really helped a lot.

When I look back on my life...it is f@cking nightmare. No one will help you, not even your parents. Just grind your teeth, try to make fun of it and go on. There are brighter days coming.

F@ck man, you almost get me depressed :)

Thundernuts

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, there really isn't much more that can be said(at least anything useful)

I do flooring whenever i can, i work alongside my father. I met him a year ago. Let me tell you something, when we get to a job, all i see is 12 hour days ahead of us, and they suck, by the time im done for the day my clothes are drenched in sweat. But let me tell you something, when you look back, and see all that you have done, for that moment when you are seeing it all put together, it makes you feel like you can take on anything.

We are all different, so there are naturally some things that don't quite work for us. You haven't had your moment, that time when you look back. Because although you want to move forward, your holding back. Man if you can't become happy on your own, then let others that are close to you know whats going on. A project is alot easier when you aren't doing it alone.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EA Gold said:
LOL are you kidding me, why are you telling me to look at my life when I'm not asking for help.
Because you don't know anything but are eager to give advice.

My character aside, at least I give advice and discuss things I know and have experienced, this is how I know your 'advice' is bullsh*t. You just make things up. I really dislike phonies and hypocrites EA Gold.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
DanelMadr said:
OP, are you self pitying yourself? That is highway to hell. I stopped doing that (forced myself to stop) when 9 or 10yo and it really helped a lot.

When I look back on my life...it is f@cking nightmare. No one will help you, not even your parents. Just grind your teeth, try to make fun of it and go on. There are brighter days coming.

F@ck man, you almost get me depressed :)
No, I don't feel pity for myself nor anyone else.

I'd like to let people close by know what's going on but I fear they will look at me differently.

Thanks for all the advice. This thread was created to see if I was depressed or not, not a debate thread, s stop arguing.