Depressed about SAT Score

Canibus27

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scored a 930 on my SAT, and I'm really depressed about it. I take it again November 3rd, but I have no confidence going into it. My GPA at school is around a high 3.2, and I plan to get it up to 3.3 by the years end.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you smoking pot? That's not going to help.

There is always junior college. That sounds like the end of the world to a high-schooler, but if you go to jc and make straight A's, which is easy, you can transfer to about any school. It's cheaper, too, you rack up less debt this way.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to be judgemental, but if you want your brain to work better, lay off the pot Mr. Cannabis.

Despite what it may seem like while you're high, it most certainly does not make you smarter.

Canibus27

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't smoke pot, the "Canibus" is a musician. I'm not going to Jr. College, I can get into local schools here. The average GPA of some universities in my area is 3.0. And I am close to getting a 3.3 GPA.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
GPA is only half the equation. SAT is the other half, and from what you say, you don't have a good enough score.

I'm not going to Jr. College, I can get into local schools here.

You're going to pay more money to get worse grades, but go ahead. I felt the same way when I was in HS.

MVPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its good to admit you've got a problem, I only hope you've got the determination to take some action. When I took the SATs 6 years ago, I got a 1380/1600 my first test, then went home and took practice SAT's every night for two weeks prior to my next exam, and scored 1520/1600 on my second SAT.

Nothing teaches better than practice. Do this. Get your parents to buy you 3-4 practice SAT books, I think the CollegeBoard prints them. Each book will have 4-5 full length SAT tests, as well as an answer sheet and a scoring card to let you know what you would've scored. Then go and buy yourself those red scantrons from school and a #2 pencil. Every single night for 2-3 weeks before the SAT, take a full length SAT exam, and time it. I'm not sure how long the SATs are now, but when I did it I gave myself 1 hour to complete the entire exam, I think 1hr30 or 2hrs is fairer judging the longer SAT nowadays.

After the hour was up, I'd go over my scoresheet, tabulate what I'd score, and then focus on what I got wrong. Doing this for 2-3 weeks helped me develop all the mental tools needed to decipher SAT problems. All SAT problems follow a simple formula, and nothing teaches that better than practicing it. Its a bit of work, and will cost you a bit over a $100 bucks to buy the books, but its far more effective than a $1000 SAT prep course, and if you want to get the SATs to get into a good school, this is the most effective way to prepare yourself.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you sophomore, junior, or senior? If you're sophomore, concentrate a lot on your english class and read books for fun in your spare time. Esp classical lit. That will help you out a lot more in the long term than those SAT guides. If you want to work on volcab, find one or two SAT works a week and just focus on ingraining those words into your vocabulary for that week. No way you can memorize words using flash cards 1-2 years from now.
For math, those SAT guides good because the SAT only covers a small fraction of all the math that is out there. I would recommend using SAT guides for math if you're just a sophomore.

If you are a junior, keep in mind that you can still take the SAT's up to December of your senior year. Still focus on your english class. Get an A+. Try to get into honors english. If you are a senior, then its time to bust out the SAT guides to work on your english. Theirs not much you can do now in english class for the SAT's.

Also, consider the ACT. They say the ACT is better for those who are better at english than they are in math. But, I was much stronger at math than english and I did better on the ACT's than on the SAT's.

Canibus27

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not a moron though. I have a 99% in my Physics class. I work hard as hell at school, I stay in on weekends when I have a test on Monday's (like this weekend because I have a Psychology test). Speaking of Psychology I have an A in there too. I'm not much of a test taker. I always study hard, but I tend to rush, and forget information. However, let me show you guys the averages for the school I want to get into. It is a university, and I know I'm not going to be getting into any big state schools, but I've visited the school before, they sent me a couple of letters of interest, including scholarship information. But, here is some information on the school.

81% of the applicants were admitted.
The school is close to my house, about a two hour drive, in state.
74% received some financial aide.
Almost 1,900 enrolled per year.
Average High School GPA 3.07 (My GPA: 3.2)
SAT verbal scores over 500 53%.
SAT math scores over 500 53%

girl_in_a_boy_forum

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a similar experience; I'm smart but crash on tests. My SAT scores were so-so, and my cumulative GPA was 3.2. My high school grades were a result of my poor test-taking skills and lots of community service hours. Of course, that presented a problem when I was college searching. When I applied to the College Of My Dreams, I attached a resume including all the community service and work hours I put in, and even arranged to have two in-person interviews at the school. Thanks to that, I got in. (My current GPA, by the way, is 3.8)

I guess the moral of my story is to make a huge effort with your school of choice. Try to arrange an interview--this helps a lot! You could even get extra letters of recommendation from other teachers, coaches, bosses, etc.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know I'm not going to be getting into any big state schools

Do you mean that you want to? I am telling you, get straight A's at jc and you can go anywhere. The degree is the same, and no one will care that you went to jc. I went to a $20k/yr "elite" private school for undergrad. All I have to show for it is debt. After you get another degree, pretty much no one cares where your first one is from. And if you are so dedicated at school, then there is a good chance that you will continue on past undergrad. A four-year degree is not worth much by itself these days, unless you're an engineer or computer guy. Try to look past just the next four years.

Rad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible Belt speaks truth...transferring from a local community college is a good option if you can't be admitted right away into the school of your choice. Many people do it.

BacardiGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm at a major university now, and, having taken classes at my community college I can honestly say that I got a better education there than I am here.

Honestly, if you don't know exactly what you want to do and know there's a school with a respected program in that field that will get you to the job you want, I don't see the advantage of a major university. Waste of money. Nice experience for the social aspect, but worthless otherwise. I'm considering transfering to community college from here. At least there I would have an actual professor I can understand as opposed to a foreign grad student who has no teaching certification and is just working for a professor.

Precursor

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same seat as you. My friends are brutal, they get 4.3's and 1900/2400 SAT scores.

My GPA is about 3.67 and 1600/2400 (its good to me but the people at my school are super over achievers, so i'm considered "not as gifted"). I hate how our standards are so high, because there are so many overachieving students

Its like 4.0 average and 1700 SAT score at least. I have one last semester to try and meet minimum!!

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
holy ****, outta 2400??

are u nervous during tests or something? u jus said that u hav no confidence goin into it...theres one problem right there. i didnt study at all for my SAT but i did alrite and i would say thats mostly cus im a good test taker. u hav to really tune in and focus to whats right in front of u...i think of it like, im playin basketball and its the fourth quarter, i needa play to the best of my abilities and if thats not as good as other people then so be it. jus do YOUR best

but u probably SHOULD study haha, i prolly woulda done better myself if i did

Canibus27

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not out of 2400. I got a 1400 out of 2400. 930 on the old grading style.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I only got a 1590 on my SAT's out of 2400. I consider myself to be far more intelligent and articulate than the average Joe. I slept through high school and got a 3.1 GPA.

SAT=Bulls.hit. F.uck it.

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Canibus27 said:
Not out of 2400. I got a 1400 out of 2400. 930 on the old grading style.
ohhh ok. well ive seen smart people get scores like that...they retake it and get alot better so dont doubt yourself jus yet

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My first one was a 1040/1600. My second one was a 1210/1600. 1750/2400 (best combination) I didn't get smarter from the first to the second, I just took the test better. Plus, I cheated (if you count it cheating). I excel in Math (660), so I would do the math real quick, and then flip back to previous sections of reading (550).

You know how people have such high GPAs? They cheat. I go to a competitive Parochial High School. I couldn't understand for the longest time how people that were clearly dumber than me had higher GPAs. I have a 3.82 (top 25% in my school), and I have a friend Alejandro who came from Venezula 5 years ago who has a 4.15. No disrespect to foreign students, I'm well aware some excel in math, but how the hell is that kid with less than a 500 SAT reading in AP English? He cheats on every test. Then when course selection sheets came around, he alters the course selection so he'd be in AP classes when he should be in honors. Or instead of taking French I, he told the guidance counselor he could barely speak Spanish so they put him in Spanish Speaker honors and AP classes. Makes me really think that kids with 4.0 GPAs are just master cheaters (of course, I'm guilty of cheating too).

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Canibus27 said:
I don't smoke pot, the "Canibus" is a musician.
You can score higher, you just need to practice your "N*gganometry".

If a b**ch sucks some d**k for five dollars per square inch,
and she gets 40 dollars including the 5 dollar tip,
how big was the d**k she just sucked?

If you a n**ga with a watch
that's iced out with enough rocks
to make the hottest room temperature drop,
How long will it take for you to get robbed??

If you got a mansion, a Benz, a Bentley and a Range,
and ain't none of that sh*t in your government name,
what pieces of property do you really own?

If you sign a recording deal for less than a quarter mil,
And your advance is a $100,000 automobile,
I know the vehicle was probably beautiful
But did you ask your lawyer if it was recuperable?

It's n**ganometry.

Anyway...for real, if you're smart enough to hold down a 3.3, then you should look into taking one of those SAT-prep courses. The SAT isn't a true "thinking" test, it's very methodical and delivered in a certain way. You just need to learn that way of thinking and the words and phrases they like to use. The SAT-prep courses don't focus on teaching you how to think or how to learn, but how to get the highest possible score on the SAT. Focused training. You should be able to get up there.

Good luck, man.

Sh*t, now I need to burn a CD. :D