Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Defiancy's Summer W-O Log: Guidance Needed

defiancy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright guys I’m posting up this log because I’m finally serious enough to begin working out consistently this summer. However, I do need some guidance. Any questions I have are labeled in BLUE.

I’ve read Anthony Ellis’ Massing Building pdf (mentioned by Pook) and a few articles in the Vault to get me started. I do know how to do a proper squat, deadlift, and bench press because I learned them in my weight training class last semester. Obviously, that WT class at my college wasn’t very helpful beyond that plus I was simply too swamped with academics to keep my lifting and diet consistent. I primarily want to gain as much muscle mass and have the lowest bf% as possible by the end of September for a great body. Anthony Ellis gained 30 lbs over 3 months, but honestly is that realistic? Could you guys tell me what I can realistically achieve over the next 3-4 months with strict diet?

Goals
1) I want to feel healthy and be more energetic than I currently am now

2) Take responsibility of my life and get off my lazy arse to achieve a long term goal. This will help set a new tone for my junior year.

2) Garner more respect from people when I talk. I talk with ease, but it seems that no one really takes a skinny Asian guy seriously. It could be inner game, tone of voice, and a whole bunch of reasons but I really think my looks are one factor. So I’m going to sharpen up my clothing and hair style too this summer.

3) Get gawking stares from women as I longboard around campus haha

4) Look great at the beach in my swimsuit (typical)

A quick background about me:

I’m 20 years old at a top 30 college in LA (narrows it down a lot haha)
Korean-American
169 lbs, Skinny build with some fat on the stomach, love handles, and pecs
16 -18% bf [measured by caliper and bioelectrical impedence]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/defiancy/beforechanged.jpg my front

img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/defiancy/beforeback.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/defiancy/beforeback.jpg"]img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/defiancy/beforeback.jpg my back

MY DIET

The first week I simply ate turkey/swiss cheese sandwiches and cottage cheese 5 times a day at work then dinner at home. I also drank two 20 oz bottles of milk with whey powder too. It was an okay diet, but I feel that it’s not enough to maximize my muscle building.

I recently opened up a dailyplate account and bought some food from costco: eggs, chicken breast, oatmeal, and cottage cheese. I have my meal schedule of eating 6 times a day ready, but trying to figure out what and how much to eat.

Under Diesel’s Bulking Up Calculation:
Protein 1.5 g x 169 lbs = 253.5 g x 4 calories
Carb 2 g x 169 lbs = 338 g x 4 calories
Fat .4 g x 169 = 67. 6 g x 9 calories

That adds to be 2974.4 calories

Under Anthony Ellis’ Calculation:
Protein 295 g x 4
Carb 222 g x 4
Fat 98.6 g x 9

Total Calories for AE’ Program: 2955.4

Does it matter which one I follow and is this the correct range considering my body type?

FIRST WEEK LOG
Notes: I know I’m doing too many exercises, but I can’t figure out which exercises are the most optimal for each body section (legs, chest, back). Should I just follow the “Getting Started” routine in the vault?

I know I can progress with building mass in my legs because I’ve been progressing with no problem. My upper body though as you can see is very weak from the pictures and numbers. I can’t do a pull-up yet which is why I’m using an assisted pull-up machine to work my way up to it.

I hope I can use this first post to identify what I’m doing wrong, establish realistic goals, and know if I’m pursuing a correct calorie range. Since I’m going to be on a mass diet, I understand I’ll gain body fat, but I’d like to minimize any excess fat that I don’t have to needlessly put on just from eating big.

6/14 Monday: Legs

Squats Warm-up
65 lbs 2 x 8 reps

Squats
105 x 1 x 8
110 x 1 x 8
115 x 1 x 9
120 x 1 x 6

Stiff leg deadlift
95 x 1 x 8
105 x 1 x 8
115 x 1 x 7
115 x 1 x 5

6/16 Weds: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Bench Press Warm Up
75 x 2 x 8

Bench Press
85 x 1 x 8
90 x 2 x 5
90 x 1 x 6
90 x 1 x 5
95 x 1 x 3

Military Press (Shoulder press)
55 x 1 x 7
55 x 2 x 4

Shrugs
35 x 2 x 8

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
10 x 1 x 7
10 x 1 x 6

6/18 Friday: Back, Biceps

Wide grip assisted pull-up machine (the lbs subtracts from my weight)
125 x 1 x 6
125 x 2 x 5
140 x 2 x 8

Bent over rows
40 x 3 x 8

Hammer curls
17.5 x 1 x 5
1 x 6

Lat pull down
90 x 1 x 7
90 x 1 x 4
60 x 1 x 21

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
defiancy said:
The first week I simply ate turkey/swiss cheese sandwiches and cottage cheese 5 times a day at work then dinner at home. I also drank two 20 oz bottles of milk with whey powder too. It was an okay diet, but I feel that it’s not enough to maximize my muscle building.

Ditch deli meats, way to much salt, even the low sodium stuff, it'll make you hold on to a lot of water and well just makes you look bloated/fatter than you really are.

find a good micellar/whey protein blend, met-rx protein plus is good...I'd limit your milk intake a great deal or get rid of it entirely, I have a hunch you'll see a nice drop in the love handle area once you do this....

I recently opened up a dailyplate account and bought some food from costco: eggs, chicken breast, oatmeal, and cottage cheese. I have my meal schedule of eating 6 times a day ready, but trying to figure out what and how much to eat.

Under Diesel’s Bulking Up Calculation:
Protein 1.5 g x 169 lbs = 253.5 g x 4 calories
Carb 2 g x 169 lbs = 338 g x 4 calories
Fat .4 g x 169 = 67. 6 g x 9 calories

That adds to be 2974.4 calories

Under Anthony Ellis’ Calculation:
Protein 295 g x 4
Carb 222 g x 4
Fat 98.6 g x 9

Total Calories for AE’ Program: 2955.4

Does it matter which one I follow and is this the correct range considering my body type?

FIRST WEEK LOG
Notes: I know I’m doing too many exercises, but I can’t figure out which exercises are the most optimal for each body section (legs, chest, back). Should I just follow the “Getting Started” routine in the vault?

I know I can progress with building mass in my legs because I’ve been progressing with no problem. My upper body though as you can see is very weak from the pictures and numbers. I can’t do a pull-up yet which is why I’m using an assisted pull-up machine to work my way up to it.

I hope I can use this first post to identify what I’m doing wrong, establish realistic goals, and know if I’m pursuing a correct calorie range. Since I’m going to be on a mass diet, I understand I’ll gain body fat, but I’d like to minimize any excess fat that I don’t have to needlessly put on just from eating big.

6/14 Monday: Legs

Squats Warm-up
65 lbs 2 x 8 reps

Squats
105 x 1 x 8
110 x 1 x 8
115 x 1 x 9
120 x 1 x 6

jumps in weight are way too small... right amount of sets but you need bigger gaps in weights used...something like 65 lbsX6, 110X6, 130X6, than if that wasn't feeling to heavy maybe one more set...with something slightly heavier....

Stiff leg deadlift
95 x 1 x 8
105 x 1 x 8
115 x 1 x 7
115 x 1 x 5

Go for higher reps 10-15 area on stiff legged dls, leg curls go 6-8 rep area.

How are the calves do they look like ****? if so do them first always....

Sample training session I actually just did yesterday..with a partner.

Leg extensions 4-5 sets (of course ramping up weight each set, think we hit 230+ lbs on our top 1-2 sets)

seated calves raises 2-3 sets

power squat machine
2-3 sets top set
went 180 lbs X 6
270X6
360X6
410X6-7

than I did some one legged leg press work 1-2 sets

laying leg curls
2-3 sets

I do rack deadlifts when I hit back sometimes so hamstrings get hit some there too, otherwise I'll alternate between stiff legged deadlifts and leg curls session to session as to now burn out the lower back....

6/16 Weds: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Bench Press Warm Up
75 x 2 x 8

Bench Press
85 x 1 x 8
90 x 2 x 5
90 x 1 x 6
90 x 1 x 5
95 x 1 x 3

Low incline barbell presses and low incline db work is in my opinion some of the best exercises for your chest development. followed by maybe a decline barbell movement or let's say a good hammer strength machine.

Maybe doing something like 4-5 sets on a barbell/db low incline...6-10 rep area (of course ramping/warming up each set to your 1-2 working sets).. than a machine or decline movement (no excessive warm up is necessary as you're already pretty warmed up) after for similar rep range and than one back off set for higher reps to get a little more volume ...and that's it!

Military Press (Shoulder press)
55 x 1 x 7
55 x 2 x 4

k nice...Why are you using the same weight though? RAMP UP, straight sets with the same exact weight are point less.

Shrugs
35 x 2 x 8

I'd move shrugs to the day you do back/bis.

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
10 x 1 x 7
10 x 1 x 6

This is good, you need to hit higher rep ranges tho, 10-15 rep range 2-3 sets

6/18 Friday: Back, Biceps

Wide grip assisted pull-up machine (the lbs subtracts from my weight)
125 x 1 x 6
125 x 2 x 5
140 x 2 x 8

seated narrow grip lat pulldowns are great too, as are rack chins. I'd rather see some one doing band assisted pull ups (if your gym has bands/ like shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDKW9sHqX1s&feature=related).

Bent over rows
40 x 3 x 8

k glad you have a back thickness exercise ....
Now next time you do these I want you to warm up increase increments of weight for 2-3 good warm up sets, now slap on some weight that starts feeling heaving... you should get up to a weight you feel your form start to break down after 6-8 reps. Stop rest a bit, drop a bit of weight now ...could be 20-30 lbs now do one more set and shoot for 10-15 reps. There you're done...

Hammer curls
17.5 x 1 x 5
1 x 6

Forearms 2heavy sets 10-15 rep range something heavy like 8-10 reps + rest pause (stop after hitting failure rest 10-12 seconds pick up weight again and shoot for 3-4 more reps, only use for last sets)

Lat pull down
90 x 1 x 7
90 x 1 x 4
60 x 1 x 21

Again stop with sets using the same exact weight...grrr. Every set should be a progressive set to your last 1-2 sets where you're aiming for something heavy that gets your muscles working real hard. Don't ever do any forearm/bicep work before back work

Also where is your other curl movement? Throw some ez bar drag curls in there, or standing alternating dumbbell curls.

look you could set it up like this
walk in to the gym
Warm up doing some narrow grip cable lat pulldowns or some machine pulldowns. ramp up to 1-2 all out sets 10-15 reps until you hit failure/breakdown in form (nice explosive positive and controlled negative, doesn't have to be super slow, just not real sloppy, little body english on last reps is ok!!!)

Head over and try some band assisted pullups, few sets go for utter failure and than do a hold and top for as long as possible, drop down the negative as slow as you can.... k you're done with lat width work....

onto bent over rows

warm up with a few sets....ramp up weight
1 set 6-8 reps hitting failure
rest
1 more set but lighter this time
10-15 reps
k you're done with back thickness...

db/barbell shrugs after
2-3 sets Go HEAVY!
8-15 reps

bicep work
machine or ez bar preacher curls or standing ez bar drag curls like shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Q9UP9rLbg

one good movement for biceps should be suffice....ramp up to one light work set 10-15 rep area than followed by a heavy one 6-10 rep area.

now do your forearm work, keep in mind you just did biceps so they'll already be warmed up

hit 2 heavy ass sets....10-15 reps..

Yeah around 3000 cals is a good starting point. You'll want to keep in mind you want to eat over maintenance calories by at least 800 cals. It's really trial and error at this point for you, you being a beginner and all. hell you might find you're not making gains at all at 2900-3000 calories...which might make that your maintenance intake and you might have to bump it up to 3800. Yet like I said trial and error.

You're goal for the most part right now should be maximizing time spent in the gym and only using 4-5 exercises per session tops and busting ass, lifting the heaviest weights you can still hold with decent form.:box:

I'd ditch the milk, keep the cottage cheese, oats, eggs. Add some natural peanut butter/almond butter or raw almonds/walnuts to your daily regimen. a few tablespoons of olive oil here or there/drizzled on foods helps also.

Good fats play a huge role in how your hormones react/work. Getting more omega-3s and a bigger protein based diet is some of the best things one can do to kick start quest for the physique one destines to achieve some day. Mind you please think of progress in terms of months/years. Not day by day as you'll upset/frustrate yourself real fast, like most.

No one at this point can really say anything about how much you'll gain as every persons genetics varies greatly. Hell you're untrained, who knows you could just blow up like crazy in this next year!!!

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
also you need to include an over head tri extension...something done behind/overhead to hit the long head of the tricep....here's a damn good overhead tricepw exercise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AZ...BD799CB7&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=42

I've lately have only been doing chest/tris or just chest

Yet look since you have chest/shoulders/tris ... you could do this
1 low incline pressing movement
1 chest fly movement
1 shoulder pressing movement
1 lateral raise movement
1 over head tri extension movement

if you split it up more and give shoulders it's own day you could do chest/tris

1 low incline chest movement
1 flat db or decline barbell movement
1 chest fly movement
1 close grip bench press movement (done in smith machine is real good)
1 over head tri extension.

Also I can't stress the importance of a proper set up when benching, keeping shoulder blades retracted/tight chest high shoulders stay on bench and slight tuck on the way down.

Watch this video and take notes. It'll pay back huge in ensuring a long term success with bench pressing and your shoulder girdle/pecs will thank you big time. proper bench set up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizAS9gfIwo&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

defiancy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank for the reply. I took a look at some of the stuff you showed me.

6/21 Monday

Calves

Notes: I had no idea what my limit was for calves so that’s why I ended up with a lot of sets. I have no clue why you said to do calves first when they should be last since they’re isolation.

90 x 1 x 12
110 x 1 x 12
140 x 1 x 12
180 x 1 x 11
200 x 1 x 10
230 x 1 x 9

Squat Warm-ups

65 x 2 x 8

Squats

115 x 1 x 8
135 x 1 x 8
155 x 1 x 4
150 x 1 x 3

Leg extension
90 x 2 x 10

Stiff leg deadlift
65 x 1 x 15
95 x 1 x 15
115 x 1 x 11
125 x 1 x 7

Leg curls
70 x 1 x 8
90 x 1 x 5

6/23 Weds

Bench Press warm-up
65 x 1 x 8
75 x 1 x 8

Bench Press

Note: My chest is quite weak still. Do you think I’m raising the weights too quickly? I have no idea why my upper body isn’t developing that much each week. I’m not even sore the next day even though the bench press was pretty hard.

95 x 1 x 6
105 x 1 x 4
100 x 2 x 4
105 x 1 x 2
95 x 1 x 5

Hammer strength machine
70 x 2 x 6
50 x 1 x 9
55 x 1 x 9
50 x 1 x7

Incline press machine

Note: How much are those small black weights that you slide onto the main weights on the machine? Each one I added is referred to as +1.

50 (+1) x 1 x 6
50 (+2) x 1 x 5
50 (+3) x 1 x 3
30 (+3) x 2 x 8

Military Press
45 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 2
55 x 1 x 2

Shoulder Press Machine
20 x 1 x 11
30 x 1 x 10
35 x 1 x 6

Side laterals
8 x 1 x 12
10 x 1 x 3
8 x 1 x 6

Incline flyes
10 x 2 x 6
8 x 1 x 7

Okay I’m not even going to post up last Friday’s routine, which is back and biceps. My posts are getting too lengthy. In summary, my legs are progressing nicely. I squatted this yesterday:

125 x 1 x 8
145 x 1 x 8
155 x 1 x 8
160 x 1 x 5

The primary concern I have with my routine is why my upper body hasn’t been developing all that much. Have I not been working those muscle groups out hard enough? I know yesterday for legs, I really kicked my ass, but I don't feel the same with my routine on Weds and Friday.

Also, what can I do that can help me progress to doing real pull-ups?

From now on, I’m just going to do general updates and ask questions.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
defiancy said:
Thank for the reply. I took a look at some of the stuff you showed me.

6/21 Monday

Calves

Notes: I had no idea what my limit was for calves so that’s why I ended up with a lot of sets. I have no clue why you said to do calves first when they should be last since they’re isolation.

only said this if they suck. if you already have decent sized calves do them when ever/seldomly. Yet if if they could use some size hit em always at the start is all.

90 x 1 x 12
110 x 1 x 12
140 x 1 x 12
180 x 1 x 11
200 x 1 x 10
230 x 1 x 9

Squat Warm-ups

65 x 2 x 8

Squats

115 x 1 x 8
135 x 1 x 8
155 x 1 x 4
150 x 1 x 3

Leg extension
90 x 2 x 10

Try doing leg extensions before squats. Really helps you feel your quads working a lot better.

Stiff leg deadlift
65 x 1 x 15
95 x 1 x 15
115 x 1 x 11
125 x 1 x 7

Leg curls
70 x 1 x 8
90 x 1 x 5

ok everything looks pretty good here not bad. from time to time you can switch out leg extensions for say a machine squat or leg press for something different. just utilize different machines and bring the intensity.

6/23 Weds

Bench Press warm-up
65 x 1 x 8
75 x 1 x 8

Bench Press

Note: My chest is quite weak still. Do you think I’m raising the weights too quickly? I have no idea why my upper body isn’t developing that much each week. I’m not even sore the next day even though the bench press was pretty hard.

95 x 1 x 6
105 x 1 x 4
100 x 2 x 4
105 x 1 x 2
95 x 1 x 5

Hammer strength machine
70 x 2 x 6
50 x 1 x 9
55 x 1 x 9
50 x 1 x7

Incline press machine

Note: How much are those small black weights that you slide onto the main weights on the machine? Each one I added is referred to as +1.

50 (+1) x 1 x 6
50 (+2) x 1 x 5
50 (+3) x 1 x 3
30 (+3) x 2 x 8

see what you're doing here you have too many pressing movements for chest. Pick 1-2 tops. A low incline db or barbell pressing movement. Than followed by a hammerstrength machine.

Military Press
45 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 2
55 x 1 x 2

Shoulder Press Machine
20 x 1 x 11
30 x 1 x 10
35 x 1 x 6

Side laterals
8 x 1 x 12
10 x 1 x 3
8 x 1 x 6

Incline flyes
10 x 2 x 6
8 x 1 x 7

Just way to many pressing movements. Use what works for you the best and cut down movements any where you can. You don't want to be in the gym doing repetitive movements. Understand? It's pointless! 1-2 exercises to hit the targeted muscle hard and move on!

Okay I’m not even going to post up last Friday’s routine, which is back and biceps. My posts are getting too lengthy. In summary, my legs are progressing nicely. I squatted this yesterday:

125 x 1 x 8
145 x 1 x 8
155 x 1 x 8
160 x 1 x 5

The primary concern I have with my routine is why my upper body hasn’t been developing all that much. Have I not been working those muscle groups out hard enough? I know yesterday for legs, I really kicked my ass, but I don't feel the same with my routine on Weds and Friday.

Also, what can I do that can help me progress to doing real pull-ups?

band pullups, static holds at top of pull up bar, slow slow negatives. Light weight lat pulldowns/narrow grip or hammerstrength machine pulldowns. really focusing on using the lats. Even if you have to use a pansy weight. Keep upper back tight and feel the stretch in the lats and contract those muscles hard. Soon enough after doing everything I mentioned your upper back strength should sky rocket.

From now on, I’m just going to do general updates and ask questions.
just cut down on unnecessary volume/repetitive movements. Exercises are looking real good though. keep it up. Remember sometimes it's about the weight but most the time it should be how you feel your muscles are working and the intensity your bringing upon yourself.