Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Decided To Get A Divorce

U

user43770

Howiestern said:
I had an exwife that gave me some of the same reasons for wanting a divorce that Samspade has listed.

I just think its pretty pathetic that you got married in the first place if this is how you feel.

Sometimes the mind has a way of tricking you into believing you need this and that to be happy. But what you are doing reminds me of something a woman would do by acting on her "feelings".

Just walking away because of what you have shared isn't good enough.

People just don't take marriage serious, its a big f'n joke. Wedding vows don't mean $hit. Its all about me me me me me and having your own selfish needs taken care of. Its all instant gratification. Its what faKebook is all about. Its why this world is in the trouble its in. Some adults remind me of small children the way they carry out their lives.

Sam, someday you may just look back on what you did and wonder if it was the right thing to walk away from a solid woman. Women worth keeping are pretty rare in this world.

Ahh but wtf do I know. Im too damn old skool for most anyways.

Way to shame the guy. You would rather he sacrifice his happiness for what, the sanctity of marriage? That's certainly old school.

The guy made a mistake, he's acknowledged it and he's paying the price to make things right. Sounds like what a grown man does to me.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Howiestern said:
I just think its pretty pathetic that you got married in the first place if this is how you feel.

Sometimes the mind has a way of tricking you into believing you need this and that to be happy. But what you are doing reminds me of something a woman would do by acting on her "feelings".
Hey Howie, I can see why you'd think of all of this. But let me break it down as I see it.

Happiness is an emotion, and a goal. It's something you feel, and something you chase. A man's life should be spent making the decisions and taking the steps to achieve happiness. You'll never achieve 100% happiness, but as long as you keep moving toward it, you'll be happy.

It's not something you can intellectualize, e.g., "Well, I SHOULD be happy, I have x,y,z." Your mind is not tricking you if you are unhappy and want something different. If you choose to remain in situations that make you miserable, because you think you're supposed to be happy, then you're in for a lifetime of misery.

Whether it's feminine or masculine is irrelevant. Your time on this planet is short. Again, you can take the steps toward whatever gives you pleasure, or you can choose actions or inactions that leave you miserable. If you're worried that to pursue happiness makes you seem "feminine" to others, then you've laid a trap for yourself. Likewise if you think people will think you immoral, or lacking direction. If you think it's more "masculine" to accept a miserable situation, because it's not honorable to try to free yourself, again, you're in for a miserable life.

Some people have compared my actions with what a woman would do.

Here's a little secret: Man or woman, people are going to do what's best for themselves. I repeat: A person pursuing happiness will do what is best for his or her self. It's not my concern if a woman decides to leave her husband and children or cheat on him. She's not me. I could sit here and crow about how wrong or immoral it is, or how bad for society it is. Will that stop her from doing what she's decided to do? Not at all. Every person on this planet has to decide for himself the right path, and accept the consequences that come with it. When I got married, I did what I wanted to do, and now I'm also doing what I want to do.

Finally, let me just reiterate something I said earlier. Although I did have to listen to my gut, I also had to make the decision in a rational state. I didn't just wake up and decide to get divorced because of my mood that morning. I had been feeling something wasn't right, and I examined it. After I'd let the emotions pass, I thought about how to execute the decision, rationally. I planned out what I'd say, prepared for what would happen next. I accepted the worst-case scenario as a possibility. I determined financially what I might lose (or gain). I analyzed whether it was the right decision for me. When I knew I was sure, I carried it out.

So yeah, it is about me, me, me. I'll cop to that. I'm not here to "take marriage seriously" or be respectful of wedding vows. I'm not here to stay committed to a woman in letter but not in spirit because of the law or society or family or whatever. I'm not here to worry about the stigma of divorce, or whether people think I'm acting like a woman, or immoral, amoral, whatever. I'm here to enjoy my life. I have accepted the consequences of my decisions and am living with them and paying for them. So is my wife. I recommend everyone try a little selfishness.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reyaj said:
Hey samspade just curious but how do you control your emotional attachment? I mean being with her for so long and being married you must feel it. I am asking because thats my biggest struggle in my situation. If I were suddenly by myself (which may happen if you read my exit strategy posts etc..) then I feel this scared frame takeover me...

Its really because I know how hard it was to find a good woman. I guess what I am asking is.... when/what was the moment you knew you had to break this off?
Well Reyaj, maybe you and I are different, but I actually enjoy solitude. I sometimes feel smothered by marriage.

I'll still miss my wife of course. So I'll be honest. The first 2-3 weeks after I told her, I went through some mood swings. Felt sad often. And I'm sure after she leaves I'll have some withdrawal moments.

The way to help yourself is to keep your eyes on the prize. Think about and remind yourself of what it is you want. If it's to be single, then remember that. Whenever I start feeling sad about everything, I shift to what my new life will look like - and I get excited.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
Way to shame the guy. You would rather he sacrifice his happiness for what, the sanctity of marriage? That's certainly old school.

The guy made a mistake, he's acknowledged it and he's paying the price to make things right. Sounds like what a grown man does to me.
Yeah sure thing Tyteeyez. Just like when your car isn't brand new anymore and you think you want something else, jump ship and make it happen. Toss what you had to the side and go make yourself HAPPY because you deserve it!

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Howiestern said:
Just like when your car isn't brand new anymore and you think you want something else, jump ship and make it happen. Toss what you had to the side and go make yourself HAPPY because you deserve it!
Exactly. So long as you've accepted the consequences.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too bad it never leads you to self-happiness. Its just a short term fix. Good luck.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Howiestern said:
Too bad it never leads you to self-happiness. Its just a short term fix. Good luck.
It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Married Buried

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
samspade said:
Well Reyaj, maybe you and I are different, but I actually enjoy solitude. I sometimes feel smothered by marriage.

I'll still miss my wife of course. So I'll be honest. The first 2-3 weeks after I told her, I went through some mood swings. Felt sad often. And I'm sure after she leaves I'll have some withdrawal moments.

The way to help yourself is to keep your eyes on the prize. Think about and remind yourself of what it is you want. If it's to be single, then remember that. Whenever I start feeling sad about everything, I shift to what my new life will look like - and I get excited.

you probably just need a break from her. My wife leaves the country a few times a year to visit her family. She goes 3 weeks to a month each trip. I have no problem with it. I get a break from her, she gets a break from me. I trust her, I know she isn't doing anything I wouldn't approve of.

We get a break, she comes back and things are fresh again.

Ship your wife off to Brazil a few times a year to visit her family as long as you trust she won't cheat.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys - just wanted to say, the last week and a half has been tough. Not that I'm feeling conflicted over my decision, but just preparing for the looming finality of it. My wife leaves for Brazil in two weeks. So I've had some moments where I feel depressed - not for a whole day, but intermittently.

This evening I just read through this thread and it cheered me up. There's so much good advice on here it reminded me why I'm doing this. I need reminding because it's easy to slip into a guilty mentality. Sometimes I think about the days before I dropped the bomb, and how my wife was happy to be with me and totally oblivious to my feelings. But then I know on some level she knew it was always possible. Still - makes me feel pretty sh*tty, like I ruined Christmas for the rest of some kid's life.

Then again I know she got by a few decades on this planet without me, and I her, so our lives will go on. She's not the helpless creature she seems to be around me. I mean my wife owned her own business at one point. She's not a child.

The good thing is there's no animosity. We're under the same roof and it's 99% business as usual. It's just that our marriage has an end date, like a canceled sitcom. Sometimes we joke about it in fact.

Anyway, today I felt - I dunno, not regret, but just down. Been down in general since the calendar turned to March. BUT - that's natural. And like I said, this thread cheered me up and reminded me of my reasons and goals. So thanks to all you guys for that.

And 5String I think I will take your advice and stay off women for a bit. Chris Rock said nothing clears the mind like fresh pu$#y, but I'm thinking first it'll be a few nights of mafia flicks, frozen pizza and beer with the bros.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sam your mood saddens me a little too... I am sure you know something isn't right fundamentally, you are a very reasonable person.

And Chris Rock is right, staying away from women isn't a good idea, you'll immediately realize why you wanted to be single in the moment of snatching a fresh one ;)

Hopefully very quickly. Lots of luck, sam, hope it works out well.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buddha_Mind said:
Being single is overrated. Once you're single long enough again you'll know what I mean.
Maybe so. But I was single most of my adult life, and I always enjoyed it. I liked my solitude, and when I got tired of solitude I had no problem meeting new people. Compared with the anxiety I feel in an exclusive, live-in relationship, being single has always been relaxing and liberating for me. Maybe I'm weird, I dunno.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the low moods Sam. But like you said, its to be expected. Being single involves a lot of highs and lows anyway, and I imagine you'll have your share in the coming weeks.

I do think fresh pvssy clears the mind, but I also think some solitude can be good to 'reset' things as well. Personally I enjoy being single, but I think there is a point of diminishing returns where it can start to mess with your head. At least I get to that point if I don't have a somewhat regular rotation of female companionship. But you'll hit your stride soon enough I'm sure.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
Sorry to hear of the low moods Sam. But like you said, its to be expected. Being single involves a lot of highs and lows anyway, and I imagine you'll have your share in the coming weeks.

I do think fresh pvssy clears the mind, but I also think some solitude can be good to 'reset' things as well. Personally I enjoy being single, but I think there is a point of diminishing returns where it can start to mess with your head. At least I get to that point if I don't have a somewhat regular rotation of female companionship. But you'll hit your stride soon enough I'm sure.
I hope so man. Today I feel fukkin' terrible. Came home from work. Couldn't put on a happy face or focus. Just feel like a terrible person and that I ruined something good. And the funny thing is - it's coming from inside. My wife has been kind and told me she understands that it's who I am and what I've gotta do. So she's not even making me feel bad about myself. I'm just having this lousy feeling I guess because things were so good and now they're ending. I can only imagine what it's like when a divorce is angry and nasty.

I keep thinking of that line from Casablanca about the problems of two people not amounting to a hill of beans. Ain't that the truth. I tell myself that but it's still difficult.

Sucks but I'm sure there's light at the end of the tunnel.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think some of the worst advice is given in this specific instance. Not necessarily by guys here just in general. People tell you that you need to "be single" leave women alone. you need a break from women

I doubt there are many that are more grounded in this DJ mindset than I am and i am telling you if i left my wife tomorrow, there is no way whatsoever i could not break and take her back if i didn't eventually **** someone else, pronto. At the very least, re enter the dating scene. "Time off" is overrated. Get the **** out there. We've just had too many good times, too much love shared to just be able to sit around and stew on it and not eventually want to take her back unless i get out and take some type of action. I'm married, I geti t, there are some things that you negated when you were married that you want to get back to doing when you are single, being able to watch what you want to watch, eat what you want to eat, have guys night outs, but you are kidding yourself if you think this is a replacement for your ex WIFE.

You need some ***** bro lol, And you need it right now. Right now, at this moment you need to be reminded that hey my ex wife was great and i wish her th ebest, but you need to SEE the other wonderful women out there as well.

I can be single. I've been single. I've been single for quite a while at times. it doesn't phase me. But this isn't' 'being single' this is breaking up with a woman that that you cared about enough to put a ring on her finger. she's obviously different. she means more.

the worst thing you can do IMHO is sit around and stew in your emotions and reminisce about the good times.

You don't necessarily have to go out and get a new GF. in fact i would recommend not doing so beucase you most likely will just be trying to attach to something. But you do need to "get out" and date. be around other females.

then what really kills me is when the guy is taking his "break" and the woman moves on and then the guy gets pissy because the woman isn't "breaking too" she's moving on.

I think you made the correct decision samsade, I just think you need to get out and start mingling with other women. put this **** you know to use my friend.

I've talked about my massage lady a few times. same deal. her ex husband of 10 years just asked for a divorce last august. Now in March he's litearlly blowing up her phone and begging to come back. She hasn't changed. she's still go the same issues that she had when he left her. The difference is that he's lonely and he can only thing about what he sees in front of him. And she won't take him back now because she (thinks) she can do better.

Seriously bro go on some dates. talk to other women. no expectations, just go out and be around females. Enjoy their company.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually BB I haven't started my break just yet. My wife and I are together for two more weeks. I told her I wouldn't date anyone or sleep anywhere else til she left. In fact we are "married" until she leaves - that's our agreement and it works fine. And yes that entails all normal married activities. For as great as she's been and is being, I'm happy to do that out of respect to her. And besides, I am in no rush.

In fact today I felt some guilt, like I was a bad person. Guess who reminded me that I'm not and am just following my path? Guess who told me there's nothing to forgive and she's not a victim? I'm a lucky SOB and am only sad because something is ending...that's it.

I'm feeling much better now - just was a little down today. As soon as my wife gets on the plane I'll figure out whether I feel like meeting new women or taking a break. I'm sure even if I do take a break I'll get restless after a few days. But I don't plan on looking for anything serious, that's for sure.

As usual I appreciate your advice though. Soon enough I'll be on my own and figuring things out.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seem like you keep trying to convince yourself your doing the right thing, I notice it in all your post.

I think you really need to sit somewhere alone, and really pray if this is the right thing to do because bro it sounds like you had a good woman, I mean a really good woman.

These women in the dating game are ice cold brutal bro, if your ready for that then by all means go for it, just realize that you 9 times out of 10 wont ever get a wife or woman like you had again, I mean I know math and percentages good and your chances of being happy with another woman is low as ever.

I hope you find happiness in what you doing, if not your going to go into some deep depression. I'm just being real with you.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I AGREE with fatal jay for t:cuss:he most part

i mean, there is AFC and then there is just being a dumbass. if the girl that you have now is good to you and you love her and yuo let her go, you can't say **** if you dont' find **** else out there. for every man getting scorned by a woman there is a man like my dad who keeps ****ing off GREAT wifes because he wants to be a life long bachlor and now he's 53, single and wants to settle down and take it seriously and no one willt ake him seriously and everyone he wants is shacked up with someone else.

i'm not saying dont' leave her but i mean, the **** is not wine and roses out there. that's why i'm married. there is a reason these 26-32-35 year old women arent' hitched and are available to **** your brains out. if that's truely what you want do you, but dn't do it beucase you think you are missing out on sone epic DJ journy or some ****. DJ is a mindset not a marital status. There is not a day that goes by that i am not thankful i don't have to put up with stupid shallow boring scandalous skanks anymore

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gotta disagree completely with backbreaker respectfully.

Marriage is tough. It ties two people together. I understand the point of getting back into it, but I think it's best that sam take a break from women. A personal vacation if you will. He can concentrate on himself and what makes him happy up until such time as he feels he's ready.

SteR

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you thought of going travelling for an extended period of time? Might be exactly what you need...