debt collectors

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a question on how to deal with this.

I have a debt collector calling me about a past cable bill.

I do agree I owe something. I didn't return my cable modem. Which I'll promptly return, but they think I owe them like $600. It's utter crap. I won't pay it.

I know I don't have to pay them.

I guess the question comes down to my credit score. I know this will effect it negatively, of course. But is there a difference in the effect of my credit score if I handle it differently.

Meaning, if I keep avoiding their calls, will that result in the same penalty as me answering it, and telling them I'll never repay this debt and they can go f*ck themselves??

I heard in the American system, you can file complaints against your claims on your credit score so they're all investigated and a lot of time it'll be removed from your record. Does this work the same in the Canadian system?

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have collectors after me for a hospital bill from 12 years ago, I had a boil on my ass removed, cost me money.. Now, I did pay it off, but no prove.. Now I still own them about 600 or so.. Sux..

So what I do? I get me earthlink internet DSL service and home phone.. Cheap, and gives you ability to block numbers.. Bellsouth does not block those number, but here you can enter a number you want blocked online, and it's cheaper, a win win..

My credit score was sure affected, but who cares.. It's still good, I still get things.. Got a car loan, pretty cheap..

I think you'll be fine.. $600 for a modem is way too much money.. But do try to settle it and find out why is it $600...

You can also ask them not to call you anymore, it also means they can stop calling you for collecting and file a law suit against you.. If your case is good, no judge is going to make you pay $600 for a 20 dollar cable modem.

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not just the modem. I think the modem is valued at $125 or something. But they claim I owe them months of backpay. I was 100% payed with them. Plus this was a few years ago, they charge incredibly insane interest plus fees on it. So I'm guessing that's what it's at. The last time I actually talked to them(a year ago) it was $600. I imagine now with interest and retarded fees I'm up to much more.

My debt was sold to a private company, so the cable company isn't coming after me.

I don't think they'll ever take me to court. It costs $1000s to take me to court, so they'd lose out on money. It's much cheaper to operate a call center and try to coerce it out of me.

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
The law is, when you tell them to stop calling you and that they can take you to court, they are required to stop calling you and (perhaps) take you to court.

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/searches/stop-collection-calls.html

If you think you can make a case, go fish.. Otherwise get rid of them..

Note, that they won't go away.. If they won't be able to collect, they'd eventually sell you to someone else, and then someone else will be calling you..

My knowledge about this is limited, because I chose to ignore them and it's been fine for so many years.. But there is support for this else where, google it, I'm sure there is plenty you could do.

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm planning on ignoring them. Need to find out if I can issue a dispute with the credit bureau and have them investigation.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://clarkhoward.com/

Once you go inside that link...type "collectors" in their search engine. I don't know if this is applicable to Canada. But very educational website anyhow.

logic1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I can gather ( in the US ) especially with hospital bills, and most likely would work with other companies also.

If you make an effort each month to pay something on the bill they will leave you alone unless there are other circumstances present.

I have heard of people owing thousands to hospitals and make a fifty dollar payment each month. This satifies them enough to leave you alone. Most of the time interest is not applied to the unpaid portion especially if they are medical bills.

Try and make a small payment each month. Their computer will then generate another bill for the next month with no red flags flying.

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't want to pay though. Why would I pay something I know I don't owe?

logic1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You said in your op you owed something, I guess the cable modem? Are they charging you rent each month for it.

If you have a leg to stand on, return the cable modem and then call regarding the outstanding balance. Make sure you have your ducks in a roll when you call. If you dont owe anything, it should not be a problem to get it resolved.

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can get same cable modem on eBay for $20 shipped. So if you don't have it, buy it and return it. Good idea.

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
You said in your op you owed something, I guess the cable modem? A
I have the modem. I just don't want to return it because there's no guarantee they'll resolve the other debt. What's the point of giving it back if I'm going to be negatively reported on my credit either way? I might as well keep the modem, sell it and make a couple bucks.

logic1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you have recieved some good advice. I think you should use some of it instead of digging a deeper hole.

Your way is not going to resolve the dispute. Why torture yourself? The sooner you get this resolved the better you are going to feel.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The next time they call, tell them you are filing bankruptcy. If Canada is like the US, that means that they never get paid. Even if you don't do it; it's fun to threaten.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shyyhs said:
I have the modem. I just don't want to return it because there's no guarantee they'll resolve the other debt. What's the point of giving it back if I'm going to be negatively reported on my credit either way? I might as well keep the modem, sell it and make a couple bucks.
So...you want to steal from them and sell...and then you are concerned about paying for the consequences?

I am sorry...but I believe in accountability. I cannot help you.

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
So...you want to steal from them and sell...and then you are concerned about paying for the consequences?

I am sorry...but I believe in accountability. I cannot help you.

Stealing is a broad term my friend. There are many kinds of stealing both legal and illegal. U.S. government could steal your home and the property it sits on, if they wanted to.. Stealing is ok, but only when it makes sense..

$20 is comparison to $600 does not make any sense. Now, if you were stealing $600 and owned them $20, that be just fine. Get my drift?

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
The next time they call, tell them you are filing bankruptcy. If Canada is like the US, that means that they never get paid. Even if you don't do it; it's fun to threaten.
im loving it !!

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you have recieved some good advice. I think you should use some of it instead of digging a deeper hole.
I believe I asked about credit scores. I know my options, to pay or not to pay.

Excuse me, but a company charging you hundreds of dollars in monthly cable fees after you cancel your service is the stealing part.

logic1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shyyhs said:
I believe I asked about credit scores. I know my options, to pay or not to pay.
Your credit score is in the dumpster unless you get this resolved.............. That means pay the bill or get on the phone and find out what the problem is.......................................There is your answer on credit scores. They could garnish your wages............................................ if they get serious.

Something tells me there is more to the story.

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
My question was will my credit score be effected differently if I continue ignoring them, or pick up the phone and tell them I'm never going to pay for it.

They could garnish your wages............................................ if they get serious.
I doubt it'll ever come to this.

Something tells me there is more to the story.
Like what? What exactly is there to add?

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your credit score is in the dumpster unless you get this resolved
Just to add, what the hell man? We're not talking about a mortgage, it's a cable bill. It really isn't that big of a deal. I know it's not that big of a deal when it comes to credit. Besides there's probably a limit on limitations here in Canada, so I should check into that.