Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Deathtertainment

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why is there such a morbid fascination with the CT school shooting? It's like everyone is getting a collective hardon from this tragedy. You can see the network bosses rubbing their hands anticipating record ratings from all the in-depth reports, interviews with endless panels of experts and live coverage of every minute detail of the police investigation, with Anderson Cooper or some other "media personality" a$$hole feigning concern and outrage and speaking in somber tones (when you know that in reality he couldn't give two sh*ts about those dead kids). The corpses aren't even cold yet and politicians in Washington are already rushing to exploit the shooting to promote gun control or some other political agenda. Social science professors at Ivy League schools and liberal arts colleges are getting wet at the prospect of finally getting that coveted book deal to write some stupid tripe about the "American gun culture". And, of course, countless conversations at workplaces across the country, shares and likes on facebook, tweets, re-tweets, etc, etc.

I could maybe understand it if it was the first time something like this had ever happened. But mass shootings are hardly a rare occurrence these days. So why does every new shooting generate more and more public interest? It seems like we have turned human suffering into a source of entertainment and amusement. And under the facade of sympathy and moral indignation of the average "concerned citizen" lies the morbid curiosity of the highway accident gawker.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pretty much. There is no need to sensationalize mass murder and turn it into reality TV (and turn mass murderers into celebrities).

Married Buried

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bokanovsky said:
Pretty much. There is no need to sensationalize mass murder and turn it into reality TV (and turn mass murderers into celebrities).
You are incorrect. This is a very strange scenario that needs to be talked about.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think they're going to re-enact the Brady Ban. If you like guns and want to make some money, buy the high-capacity clips that the shooter used. I think they are about to become illegal, by that I mean illegal to buy new, which is why bans are stupid and don't work. You don't need to buy the gun - just the clip. As soon as they get re-banned, they will all double or triple in value.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Malice said:
You are incorrect. This is a very strange scenario that needs to be talked about.
What's so strange about it? Take a mentally ill teenager, a suburban single mom living off alimony and lacking in basic common sense, and a news media that glorifies mass murder and entices deranged individuals to "go off with a bang"...and you've got a recipe for exactly what happened.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Criminally irresponsible media, or criminally inciteful media. Take your pick. Making a huge deal out of it and turning the killer into a celebrity household name, encourages other losers to take others with them instead of suiciding quietly.

Its also stirred the Anti-Individualism lobby as well, with Collectivists around the world screaming to disarm Individuals.

Was watching the news before work this morning, almost made me vomit. Some mother on Facebook here has orchestrated a "Toy Gun voluntary confiscation" (buy back). Little toddlers trade their toy guns to this lady for $5, and the woman destroys the toy gun.

IMO its almost time for a great thinning of the Collectivist herd.

Very shameful for the GCL (gun control lobby) to be taking advantage of the death of those poor kids. I'm ashamed to share the same DNA as that lobby.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Malice said:
What would you prefer people to do... Just ignore it?

Not ignore it.

Remember the victims, limit media companies to one written or verbal mention of the perpetrators name, for the record. Then fine the media corporation $1,000,000 for every mention of the killers name thereafter.

And then see if there is anything that can be done to reduce the likelihood of a repeat event, at the same time respecting the principles of individual freedom that our forefathers bled for.

It's my understanding in Israel, many teachers of elementary-age students are equipped with a firearm. Not many school shootings over there, despite the tensions.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You're exactly right, everyone has a morbid fascination with the whole thing and the media knows and exploits our perversion with death and suffering. But as soon as the corporate heads see ratings start to dip the media will steer the zombie masses to the next big news story to "care about" and "make a difference."

Facebook has been especially annoying as of late. Everyone putting in their two cents and signing facebook petitions like they are actually making a difference. One attention wh0re I know said "ive just spent the whole day crying."

It will be interesting to see if the government uses these dead children to slip stricter gun laws past us while everyone is still in shock.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
It's my understanding in Israel, many teachers of elementary-age students are equipped with a firearm. Not many school shootings over there, despite the tensions.
I was actually entertaining that idea the other day myself. Would the shooter have picked an elementary school if he knew that teachers have the option of being armed in the classroom? He would enter the school not knowing if there are 0 armed teachers or 30 armed teachers. A school was probably just too irresistible for the sicko because he knows no guns are allowed. The no weapon policy didn't apply to criminals, just the law abiding teachers.

...lets see that talk in Washington.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In criminology, there is evidence of a brutalization effect of media coverage of violent acts. There are slightly more murders after high-profile death penalty executions, for example. “Such a ‘brutalizing’ effect of executions is consistent with research on violent events such as publicized suicides, mass murders, and assassinations; with previous studies of the long-term effects of the availability and use of capital punishment; and with a small number of investigations of the short-term impact of executions in the days, weeks, and months that follow. This suggests that the message of executions is one of ‘lethal vengeance’ more than deterrence” (source).

This is somewhat, but not exactly, related to the Streisand effect, which is “the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide or remove a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. The term is a modern expression of the older phenomenon that banning or censoring something often makes that item or information more desirable, and leads to it being actively sought out to a greater extent than it would have otherwise been.”

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I definitely think this was probably the worst public shootings because of 20 small children getting brutally murdered. You simply cannot ignore an extreme situation like this.

And of course, the media will NOT be discussing this particular issue related to these mass public shootings anytime soon....and that issue is that majority of these (pretty much all, right?) are carried out by men....and one of my favorite contemporary writers summarized it best:

...There is one more thing. It is so obvious but is seldom ever addressed. All these recent mass murders have been done by men. Many of them young men, yes, even mere boys. Jonesboro, Columbine, Virginia Tech, now Newtown. Is there something within our culture that doesn’t know how to raise strength with dignity and respect? Is this how boys are meant to be? From bloodletting in hockey games while thousands cheer to savagery in school shootings while thousands weep, we must ask ourselves what has gone wrong with us men? Where are the role models in the home? Is knocking somebody down the only test left for strength? Is there no demonstration now of kindness, gentleness, courtesy, and respect for our fellow human beings? One young man on death row in Angola Prison told me that he started his carnage as a teenager. Now in his thirties with the end of the road in sight, he reached his hand out to me and asked me to pray with him. Life was lost at the altar of power and strength.
Of course, we all here know, and Fight Club author Chuck Palahunik (not the above quoted writer btw) already alluded to it more than a decade ago, is that this generation of men aren't raised as men or by men. Some of us were lucky enough to be raised in a father-mother household with a traditional masculine father but the problem is my father didn't grow up in these times (or hell in this culture for that matter). He doesn't understand what young men of today's world are up against - media, society, culture, academia, politics, etc. Pretty much everything that defines modern civilization is one way or another looking to exploit the gender of capital M.

But obviously you won't hear the media tackle this issue at all. Any charge against the feminine culture or hell any talk of promoting positive influence on boys from a masculine viewpoint is met with furious resistance or simply provided a valid alternative explanation thus negating the need to discuss the charge or promote positive influence.

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
The Bat said:
But obviously you won't hear the media tackle this issue at all. Any charge against the feminine culture or hell any talk of promoting positive influence on boys from a masculine viewpoint is met with furious resistance or simply provided a valid alternative explanation thus negating the need to discuss the charge or promote positive influence.
Well said but at some point it's going to reach breaking point you would think, with single motherhood skyrocketing and beta's/omega's no longer having the incentives of the past (faithful wife-equal looks, offspring, affordable housing, job stability etc) to play by societies rules this is going to snowball, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Nancy Lanza filed for divorce from Peter Lanza in 2008, after 27 years of
marriage, citing an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.

When the divorce was finalized in September 2009, Adam Lanza was 17 years
old. The couple had two sons; their other son is Ryan Lanza. In 2010, Nancy
Lanza was to receive $240,000 for the year. In 2011, alimony increased to
$265,000, followed by $289,800 in 2012. By 2015, the amount was to be $298,800.
From 2016 to 2023, it was to be adjusted annually for cost of living, then it
was to be modified after Peter Lanza retired.

The plan was for Adam to live primarily with his mother, and his father to
have liberal visitation and vacations, the divorce file shows. Only Adam was
still a minor at the time the couple divorced. Any decisions about
Adam's health, education and religious upbringing would be made by his mother,
after consulting with his father. In the case of any disagreement, Nancy would
make the final decision.
:rolleyes:

Heart also goes out to the father who effectively lost his son twice. The whole system is majorly fvcked and yet unbelievably WE KNOW HOW TO FIX IT ! but we dare not speak of such taboo's. Let's just keep blasting away children while we sing kumbaya and scream "EQUALITY" and "GIMMIEDAT". Fvcking liberal vermin.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
( . )( . ) said:
Heart also goes out to the father who effectively lost his son twice. The whole system is majorly fvcked and yet unbelievably WE KNOW HOW TO FIX IT ! but we dare not speak of such taboo's.
I read somewhere that daddy was paying mommy $200,000 per year in alimony. This woman never had to work a day in her life, so what does she do with her spare time (when she's not busy getting drunk at the neighborhood bar?) Why of course, takes her mentally ill son to the shooting range and teaches him how to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against guns or target shooting but it's not exactly the most appropriate hobby for a mentally handicapped young man with clear anti-social tendencies.

All of the people who are trying to use this story to advocate gun control are forgetting one thing...no one forced the guy's mom to buy all those guns and teach him how to shoot. Yet, I haven't seen a single article that criticized the mom for her obvious bad judgment and failure as a parent. So much for individual responsibility..

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It came out this morning that she was planning to try and have him committed to a psychiatric institution against his will. That's what he was mad about.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bokanovsky said:
I read somewhere that daddy was paying mommy $200,000 per year in alimony. This woman never had to work a day in her life, so what does she do with her spare time (when she's not busy getting drunk at the neighborhood bar?) Why of course, takes her mentally ill son to the shooting range and teaches him how to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against guns or target shooting but it's not exactly the most appropriate hobby for a mentally handicapped young man with clear anti-social tendencies.

All of the people who are trying to use this story to advocate gun control are forgetting one thing...no one forced the guy's mom to buy all those guns and teach him how to shoot. Yet, I haven't seen a single article that criticized the mom for her obvious bad judgment and failure as a parent. So much for individual responsibility..

You're disrespecting the untold hundreds of mentally handicapped children whose parents take them to the shooting range, and who act responsibly.

Heck even this kid apparently acted responsibly for almost his entire exposure to firearms.

You can't legislate a tiny probability out of existence. The 0.00001% of people, might do something like this 0.000001% of the time.

To target that tiny minority you'd have to sacrifice many of your Rights and individual liberties. Hopefully the deaths of millions of your forefathers to fight for those causes, would caution you otherwise.

Seems better to focus on security options for target-rich environments like schools.

ie. 4-5 designated 'Safe Rooms' in each school. Hardened doors, walls, etc. Fire-resistant, rifle-resistant.

Kids could proceed to the closest Safe Room in a lockdown, and teachers who have a firearm could respond to the threat.

Its my understanding the shooter just walked into a 'locked down' classroom and mowed a bunch of kids down. School lockdowns are stupid if the door and walls aren't secure.

I think anybody who is charged with responsibility of dependents, has to be aware that in an active shooter threat, their job is to run towards the danger using whatever tools they have at their disposal to neutralize it.

Mind-blowing that schools have no ability--or desire?--to actively take responsibiliy for the safety of their dependents.

But again, we're talking about the 0.00001% of the 0.00001% scenarios here, so there may not really be a problem at all, that can be reasonably prevented.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
It came out this morning that she was planning to try and have him committed to a psychiatric institution against his will. That's what he was mad about.
It saddens me that the guy supposedly, if a reported rumor is true, had Asperger’s syndrome. This puts a touch to the story because I have it. I know the struggle, the isolation, the misunderstandings, but also the capacity for change and self-awareness.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
You can't legislate a tiny probability out of existence. The 0.00001% of people, might do something like this 0.000001% of the time.

To target that tiny minority you'd have to sacrifice many of your Rights and individual liberties. Hopefully the deaths of millions of your forefathers to fight for those causes, would caution you otherwise.
No one said anything about legislating it out. It's up to the parents to make choices on behalf of their mentally ill kids. This particular parent made some pretty bad ones. The kid was not just mentally handicapped; he was known to be volatile and antisocial.