Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Deadlifting Form

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Was gonna post this in my workout log but I figure it'd be better suited in it's own thread.

I'm wondering if my deadlifting form is ok...I've never been a big fan of the deadlift, but after watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIkoqmXW__w
I've realized how important they are, and started doing them recently.

The reason I am questioning my form is because whenever I deadlift, I get an extreme tightness in my lower back, don't know if it's just my body not being used to the movement or what...doesn't really hurt but it just feels sooo tight. I end up having to stretch it out really good every set or two. Obviously the heavier I go, the more I get that feeling, so lately I've laid off the heavy weight to check form.

Here is a quick video of me doing a form check, my little brother and I were working out, and I asked him to look at my form, so he ended up just taking a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIqtWDRrDc. It looks alright to me, and I always make a huge mental note to NOT round my back and keep my chest high. In hindsight I feel retarded for not getting a side view.

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when you are doing deads, imagine that you are fuking a very hot woman.

i read that somewhere and while i dont do deads, im doing rack pulls and it helped me a lot.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I could probably use a little more hip extension?

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your form looks alright from that angle, though it looks like your using sub-maximal weight. So its kind of hard to tell where your form or if your form is breaking down.

Somethings I might suggest.

1. You can relax your shoulders/upper back a little. Just keep the low back arched or in a neutral position.

2. I'd bring your feet in a little closer, around hip width to get more leg drive.

3. Your hips might be set a little high before you pull, but it may look that way from the front view.

5. Could maybe use a little more "hip thrust". Once the bar just gets above your knees you want push your glutes forward

Other than that it looks pretty good.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I was only doing 225 to put more focus on form instead of moving the weight. I'll try out those things and see how it goes.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheStig said:
Yeah I was only doing 225 to put more focus on form instead of moving the weight. I'll try out those things and see how it goes.
To be honest what I mentioned may or may not work. Even though there is a right and wrong way to deadlift, your style and technique will vary on the individual. You'll have to play around a little to see what works for you. Or if you train in a commercial gym, look for some powerlifters (if there is any) and ask them to check out your form.

Hope things turn out well!