Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

deadlift results?

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well ive been deadlifting as heavy as i can for a while now for 1x5 at the end of a rippetoes workouts (squat, bench deadlift or squat, press, row). as far as i know, ive gone up a lot, now 275 at 155 body weight. not too spectacular but a decent progression for me. mostly its my grip that gives out anyways, but even with this progress, i dont feel any difference in my back. no doubt it is getting stronger but is it supposed to get bigger or something? my lower back seems to have stayed the same throughout my lifting days. my form is pretty good as i check in side mirrors and make sure my back is straight and that my shoulders go up first.
thanks

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If your progress is being hindered by your grip, than buy lifting straps.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah. Straps.

I use them for BB rows too. Yeah, yeah i guess i'm girlie but when i have to stop 4 or 5 reps short of what my back can do on my last set I guess I'll keep my feminine wrists to have a masculine back.

As for rack deadlifts. I don't even think i could do more than one rep at that weight without straps. My forearm endurance sucks. Time for farmer's walks or something, eh?

I do all my warmup sets without straps, though. And most of the worksets. At least the first one or two sets depending on the number i'm doing...

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How long is awhile?

LoneSilver

kickureface said:
well ive been deadlifting as heavy as i can for a while now for 1x5 at the end of a rippetoes workouts (squat, bench deadlift or squat, press, row). as far as i know, ive gone up a lot, now 275 at 155 body weight. not too spectacular but a decent progression for me. mostly its my grip that gives out anyways, but even with this progress, i dont feel any difference in my back. no doubt it is getting stronger but is it supposed to get bigger or something? my lower back seems to have stayed the same throughout my lifting days. my form is pretty good as i check in side mirrors and make sure my back is straight and that my shoulders go up first.
thanks

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
personally, i always feel like my grip is giving up before my back, and yet, the next day my back always says "no, really, that was good! thanks for thinkin' of me, though!"

as long as your weights are going up, you're fine for now. and if you haven't tried it, lots of guys can do more weight with an alternating grip (one overhand, the other underhand, then switch between sets).

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Staggered grip?

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i go over under grip so thats set. and a while meaning everytime i try to go up. whether 10 lbs or 20lbs. at 275 pulling it up was a lil hard but fsure next time i can go up 10lbs minimum.20 might be a lil high though. either way, i want to stay raw so no straps.
and to throttle: i lift heavy, or i think i do, for 1x5 at the end of my workout program. BUT i dont get that next-day feeling as you refer to. my back feels perfectly fine, whereas my legs and chest (squat bench deadlift day) are sore. should i worry? i know that soreness isnt any indicator of a good workout but 2 areas are sore and my largest lift isnt, wtf is going on? lol thanks
and why "switch between sets" for the alt. grip?

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I put 5x5 FIRST in a workout oriented around back movements...rows, pulls, deads etc.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i forgot you said you were doing rippetoe--stick with that since it's working, and don't let any of us talk you into a 3-day split :D

and in light of that, you're not really doing enough deadlifting to beat up your back the way it would as the centerpiece of one day out of a 3 day split. since you're always doing squats first, and deadlifts hit many of the same muscle groups, you're going to feel it in the part of the posterior chain you've already beat up (thighs). in short, you've got nothing to worry about, keep it up!

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oops. :(

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
eh ok thanks throttle, i wil lcarry on.

but just one more question, deadlift adds mass-but where? the obvious answer would be lower back mainly, but mine does not seem to have grown much if any at all, so i have no experience to validate that assumption.
also, if doing heavy deadlifts and somehow having it increase your lower back mass as well, how much will your waist line go up? i assume thats the only way to add waist inches other than getting fat; im just curious about that.

thanks!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deads can increase the size of your waist as your obliques/abs/spinal erectors grow.

Deadlifts should add mass to your whole frame, if this isn't happening you're either doing them wrong or not eating enough...

danielzxc

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Obviously you're not fkkin eating enough. Lol. Don't complicate this shyt too much man. You wanna grow, you GOTTA be in a caloric surplus. Just doing deads won't making a fkking difference unless you're eating enough.

And Alex, seriously man, as IF it's cos he's not "doing them right! Are you for real? If you're lifting hundreds of pounds off the ground in SOMETHING resembling a deadlift movement, that is ENOUGH. The point of doing them correctly is to NOT INJURE yourself, not because two inches to the left or right, scrape your shins/don't scrape your shins is gonna make any real difference in how much you grow. Lol.

Similar with squats. You do them in good form so you don't hurt yourself. But if you squat 500lbs and you break all the rules doing it, you're still squatting 500 fvkking pounds! Let's get this straight.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
danielzxc said:
Obviously you're not fkkin eating enough. Lol. Don't complicate this shyt too much man. You wanna grow, you GOTTA be in a caloric surplus. Just doing deads won't making a fkking difference unless you're eating enough.

And Alex, seriously man, as IF it's cos he's not "doing them right! Are you for real? If you're lifting hundreds of pounds off the ground in SOMETHING resembling a deadlift movement, that is ENOUGH. The point of doing them correctly is to NOT INJURE yourself, not because two inches to the left or right, scrape your shins/don't scrape your shins is gonna make any real difference in how much you grow. Lol.

Similar with squats. You do them in good form so you don't hurt yourself. But if you squat 500lbs and you break all the rules doing it, you're still squatting 500 fvkking pounds! Let's get this straight.
Bad form = less weight. If you start with a loose lower back, tight shoulder blades, your shoulders infront of the bar, and your ass on the ground, you're not going to be able to lift sh1t.

But I agree that the problem is that he is probably not eating enough........ It usually is.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
danielzxc said:
So if you got 500lbs and quarter-squatted it, it'd still stimulate a growth response as opposed as if you went ass-to-hams?

Or if you did a set of deadlifts, the first one a clean rep off the floor, and the next four just bouncing the bar off the ground using 50/50 effort and momentum as opposed to five singles, you'd get more growth?

There's a limit to how much cheating you can get away with.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifts are king at adding mass, you'll notice improvements in upper back, shoulders, traps, glutes, forearms. You're either not doing proper form or you're not eating enough if you haven't noticed this.

From my experience, reps don't matter for deadlifts as much as the weight. I do 5 reps for early warm-up sets, my sets I do low reps as singles, with 60-120 seconds rest in between.

Each week I do max weight off the bottom pin for 1-2 singles with perhaps a 3-4 rep lower-weight set afterwards, which has brought much better results than lower weights for multiple reps and sets.

I don't know the physio behind this and I haven't done any research, but I received great benefits from a brief stint on the Hammer Strength dead machine, since you can use much more weight. It seemed to prepare my lower back especially and overall body to handle heavy weights, when I went to BB it went much smoother.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys, that cleared some stuff up. i do notice my upperback usually gets a little tense after squat bench deadlift days. might be because i bench with the 3 point ass-shoulderblades-head on the bench with firm feet and that hits the back a lil?? dunno
either way i guess im just not eating enough. if i measure my waist im usuallythinking my belly got bigger rather than my muscles there got bigger. ill keep a better lookout next time. :)
and is it natural to bruise the legs with deadlifts? when i come up sometimes the bar hits my front calf and then when i start going down, i bend my knees and the bar may hit my knees, causing bruises. heh.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could maybe look into sumo deadlifts, they might better suit your frame. As for straps I was against the idea as I wanted my forearms to grow, but if you use straps and your deads go up then I've been told your forearms are stimulated anyway and you can just not use them in warm up sets, this way everything continues going in the right direction. Forearms will take longer to get stronger than back, so be sure not to hold your progress back. Good luck...:up:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i just want to point out that one reason you won't notice deads adding big mass to your lower back is that physiologically there really isn't any place to put a great deal of added mass there. as lewis suggests, the mass gains will show up elsewhere.

just think about how weird you would look with a bulging lower back.....