Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Deadlift Personal Best!! 295 x 9!!

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been straight-leg deadlifting for 6-8 weeks now and I am amazed how quickly my strength has been increasing on this amazing lift. It it by far my favorite back exercise second only to pullups and I am finding the strength gain to be sky-rocketing.

Yesterday I warmed up with the bar, did a set with a 45lb on each side, then did a set of 10 quality reps at 225lbs. Then I decided to jump to 295 adding a 35 to each side and to go for 10. I have lifting gloves and wrist straps but thats it. I really was surprised HOW HEAVY it was to lift 295 lbs. I had a double-overhand grip on the bar. I could definetely feel after that 9th rep my body was depleted of the necessary energy to hit a 10th rep without possibility of failure or dropping the bar so I racked it.

My new deadlift goal is 400 lbsx10!

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
Charm said:
I've been straight-leg deadlifting for 6-8 weeks now and I am amazed how quickly my strength has been increasing on this amazing lift. It it by far my favorite back exercise second only to pullups and I am finding the strength gain to be sky-rocketing.

Yesterday I warmed up with the bar, did a set with a 45lb on each side, then did a set of 10 quality reps at 225lbs. Then I decided to jump to 295 adding a 35 to each side and to go for 10. I have lifting gloves and wrist straps but thats it. I really was surprised HOW HEAVY it was to lift 295 lbs. I had a double-overhand grip on the bar. I could definetely feel after that 9th rep my body was depleted of the necessary energy to hit a 10th rep without possibility of failure or dropping the bar so I racked it.

My new deadlift goal is 400 lbsx10!
If you're doing stiff-leg deads, try them off a small platform to get a better stretch next time. You'll feel them more in your hams the next day.

MM

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great job bro. 295 x 10 has gotta be pretty damn taxing! I'm gonna "flame" you a little bit for using gloves/straps... but that's just my personal opinion...I use chalk and nothing else. I don't really believe in straps/gloves, etc.

405 x 10 is a crazy goal...if you can pull that, you'll have a quarter ton 1 RM!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
Congrats! PBs always rock, especially in the deadlift.

You should be doing more warmup sets than that though. Have a read of http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404 and download the warmup set spreadsheet from page 4.
I personally use my heavy sets as my warm ups...I find I'm the strongest at the start of my workout, so I'll go:

225 x 1
315 x 1 (just to feel it out)
405 x 4-5 ...do 2 sets of this.
- then down to work sets 8-12 reps with 315-345 depending on how I feel.

I think doing more warm ups for DLs fatigues the lower back too much. But then again I often deadlift/squat 2x per week.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
congrats man...pulling ten times in a row is pretty damn tiring at a heavy weight. Keep up the good work. Why don't you set your goal to 500? haha

sbgm

Don Juan
Reaction score
110 kgs x 3

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Great job bro. 295 x 10 has gotta be pretty damn taxing! I'm gonna "flame" you a little bit for using gloves/straps... but that's just my personal opinion...I use chalk and nothing else. I don't really believe in straps/gloves, etc.
Yeah dude because we should not deadlift for a few months while waiting for grip strength to catch up to our back strength.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude, I have no shame about using gloves or straps. I use gloves because I was getting nasty calluses on my hands that we're cracking and peeling no matter how much lotions I used. I use straps because after 8 reps on heavy weight the bar would slip and I knew my back had more in it. I'm deadlifting to work my back, the arm-grip gains are a by-product and I have no problems using straps. I usually only use them for the heavier sets.

Also on the topic of chalk, I don't like carrying it around with me and it makes a huge mess at the gym. Thanks for sharing your experience though.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mad Manic said:
If you're doing stiff-leg deads, try them off a small platform to get a better stretch next time. You'll feel them more in your hams the next day.

MM
The deadlift rack at my gym is on an elevated platform like the kind you're speaking of so it's already setup for me that way :) And my hams feel it, believe me!!

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
Congrats! PBs always rock, especially in the deadlift.

You should be doing more warmup sets than that though. Have a read of http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404 and download the warmup set spreadsheet from page 4.
I was already warmed up from having done 5 sets of pullups, 3 sets of pulldowns, 3 sets of seated rows. Then I only needed a few quick sets with the bar and 45's.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
I was already warmed up from having done 5 sets of pullups, 3 sets of pulldowns, 3 sets of seated rows. Then I only needed a few quick sets with the bar and 45's.
Hey man, that's a lot of work to be doing prior to deadlifting! Deadlifting is a big movement that utilizes like all major muscle groups in the body particularly when lifting heavy and going in the higher rep ranges like you're doing. I pretty much always do deads at the start of my workout when I have a lot of metabolic and neurological "reserve". This works well for me, so I thought I'd recommend it.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Hey man, that's a lot of work to be doing prior to deadlifting! Deadlifting is a big movement that utilizes like all major muscle groups in the body particularly when lifting heavy and going in the higher rep ranges like you're doing. I pretty much always do deads at the start of my workout when I have a lot of metabolic and neurological "reserve". This works well for me, so I thought I'd recommend it.
I like yourself take my back-workouts very seriously. I have seen incredible results in my lats from doing pullups/pulldown and seated rows in the beginning. It has added length and thickness and very nice definition.

I'll be keeping DL's in the middle of my workouts. I like doing them and then bent-over rows.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Mixing up the order in which exercises are done can keep progression going for longer. I'd recommend for Charm to keep doing what he is doing until things slow up, and then switch the order around again.