Dead car...

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The car that we had had has now quit running. Past couple weeks it has been having trouble turning over... but it would start first time, it would just hesitate a little. Tonight it will do nothing. Only thing that works on the car are the lights, as normal. When you turn the key, it just clicks :cuss:

I can only think its the starter or fuel injection. Anyone have any ideas? Battery should be good, it was brand new about 4 months ago...

The car is an 89 buick century

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When mine did that, it was the starter, AND the alternator.

If you know anyone with mechanical skills, see if they can start it manually.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
when you turn the key to start and you hear clicking but the engine doesn't turn over it's most likely a bad starter. The clicking is the starter solenoid trying to unsuccesfully operate the starter..

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
iqqi said:
If you know anyone with mechanical skills, see if they can start it manually.
You can't manually start (push start) a Buick with automatic transmission, dumb ass :D

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
iqqi said:
I don't know nuthin' 'bout no Buicks, BEEYOTCH.

Just going by what was done for me in the same situation.
Yeah but you sugested to push start a buick. You always give advice that doesn't apply to anyone else but yourself beeyotch :D .

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
when you turn the key to start and you hear clicking but the engine doesn't turn over it's most likely a bad starter. The clicking is the starter solenoid trying to unsuccesfully operate the starter..
Found one on line for like 93 bucks, probably just hit up autozone or something like that and see if they can aquire one...

A couple weeks ago this POS did the same thing, but there was a clinking sound (like a coin drop or something) and it would not start after about an hour or so of cussing at it and trying to figure out how I was going to work, I got mad, floored the gas and fired it up and laid on it... it finally started but after that, you needed to hit the gas to get it to turn over, but it started and got worse, to the point it would hesitate to turn over, like it was missing the "spark" to fire. Tonight, it will not even start. Just click.

Thanks for the response every one. I guess there is no way to start this POS right now at all is there?

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
slitherjef said:
Thanks for the response every one. I guess there is no way to start this POS right now at all is there?
No there's no other way to start it. if it's just clicking and not turning over it'll probably never crank. You need a new starter. there's probably other repairs the engine needs, but the clicking and no engine turn over is the starter.

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
No there's no other way to start it. if it's just clicking and not turning over it'll probably never crank. You need a new starter. there's probably other repairs the engine needs, but the clicking and no engine turn over is the starter.
Probably does need more engine work. Only paid 600 bucks for it I think. Its got some front end damage, but it ran pretty good for 5 months. If I can get the starter and that does the trick, hopefully that will keep it running for a couple months so I can do some saving... in the mean time I can get a bike for backup

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes those old starters freeze up. Try banging on it with a hammer or pry bar. That sometimes works.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's the battery.

Give it a jump start, then go on a long drive, to put some more juice back in it.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try to jump start it...I feel it is the battery too.

If it does not jump start...then continue to trouble shoot.

Reaction score
ketostix said:
Yepp..I agree.. It is the starter.... cheap and easy to replace...:up:

Reaction score
Latinoman said:
Try to jump start it...I feel it is the battery too.

If it does not jump start...then continue to trouble shoot.
Well the battery was 4 moinths old he says, but if he ran the battery dry once it could of killed it..

There should be an indicator that is green on top of the battery, but yeah maybe jump it and see if it turns over.. If the lights are brite then most likely
the battery is good.

Most likely the starter because my truck did the same thing once...

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
Well the battery was 4 moinths old he says, but if he ran the battery dry once it could of killed it..

There should be an indicator that is green on top of the battery, but yeah maybe jump it and see if it turns over.. If the lights are brite then most likely
the battery is good.

Yeah that's what I'm saying if the battery is new and charged and his lights are working and the starter solenoid is just clicking it's the starter. I'm guessing the car gets cranked a lot because this engine is in poor tune and probably has bad fuel injectors since just about all late 80's early 90's models like these had fuel injector problems.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
iqqi said:
I was the first to say it was the starter.

I deserve some rep. :D

...it's not the battery!
Well your online diagnosis doesn't deserve to be repped just because you wrote the first to reply with that. You also said it was the alternator and that a Buick could be pushed started. :kick:

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:

the battery is good.

It is easier to check the battery (jump starting) than to tow the vehicle to the mechanic and getting the starter replaced.

My suggestion is to rule out the EASIEST thing first. Just to be 100% sure.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
Yeah that's what I'm saying if the battery is new and charged and his lights are working and the starter solenoid is just clicking it's the starter. I'm guessing the car gets cranked a lot because this engine is in poor tune and probably has bad fuel injectors since just about all late 80's early 90's models like these had fuel injector problems.
There is not uncommon to buy defective batteries. It is not uncommon to have all the lights working and the battery needing a jump start.

Also, if it is cold in Colorado and he happens to buy a battery that is not designed for that weather...he will have problems starting the vehicle. If he accidentally left one of the inside lights on...he will also have problems starting the vehicle (even if the outside lights come on bright).

It is the EASIEST thing to check. He lose nothing by trying to jump start. If it does not work...then he can check the connections (make sure they are tight) and move to starter.