Dancing - I suck

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Dancing - I suck

Originally posted by Bhekizwe
Loosen up.Lose yourself in the music.The is no one way to dance.Its all about your creativity.Express yourself through your style.Be at ease with yourself
Dancing is 90% attitude,10% skill.
yup, exactly.

you gotta love the music, the beat, move with it.

oh and learn from other people. When i was really young, i looked at best dancers and tried to imitate them.. and it worked.

whats with the dance threads lately?

and like i said already, nothing like dancing the right way with a hot girl. I don't mean like slow dancing or club grinding, i mean like intimate sexual powerful dancing, like salsa or tango or something. Where you're close but you still have to move, lead, etc.

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lessons will improve it. Give it 6 months.

Find out about a dancing competition and prepare for it with a partner.

Don't **** your dancing partner. It screws you up because you can't concentrate when you're dancing.

gemini525

Reaction score
if you are talking about dancing to hip hop type of music, i suggest watching hip hop music videos [the videos for the recent hip hop club hits], no need to learn how to do usher/MJ type of moves at the club, most of the time theres no room anyway. just do the same ol' 2 step with a little swing. just have to have that bounce. if you want to learn how to grind [if you know how to grind well, you'll be surprised how much more girls will be into you], just watch sean paul music videos. especially "i'm still in love with you"

Slique

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if these will help your game, but try them out for yourself and let me know.

1. Feel the Rhythm, the Beat, and the Harmony - let your soul absorb the music
2. Let your soul speak for your body
3. Watch "Hitch" (Will Smith will teach u what you need to know bout dancing for now before u go out and take more lessons)
4. Just have a great time and ignore other people. You are dancing with her, and not for anyone else. Be as natural as Don Juan.
5. As they say in The Last Samurai": "No mind" [don't mind them. Focus and concentrate]

As a final note: Anyone can dance. Dancing is the expression of the liveliness of the Soul (just as laughter is the language of the soul). I've seen a 90 year old man grooving to salsa music, and I kid you not: this old man will outlive all of us.

I'm sure you'll find anywhere on this forum, that inhibitions always prevent us from being Don Juans. Let all your inhibitions go, and let your soul free.

Matheau

Don Juan
Reaction score
Take classes in ballroom dance. The rest, you don't need, you can pretty easily do those without any really skill or training, but with ballroom dances it is extremely obvious if you know what you are doing.

Once you get practice, they are very natural, and you can get the girl to do exactly what you want without saying anything, just by leading and with the right signals. Girls absolutely love that. I kind of think all the subtle body communication involved is the main draw.

Break dancing very poorly works wonders from my experience. Though it is actually a lot harder to do convincingly and can be more difficult to not hurt yourself. It just gives the impression that you are completely confident, especially if you really are having fun with it. Everyone has seen good or decent break dancers, but how often do you see a guy do a wobbly cart wheel, completely stop, kneel down, and do a forward somersault in a break dancing circle. It is very distinctive, it makes you very noticable, and unless you look like a total spaz or something, people will see you aren't actually trying and are just messing around.

I would highly recommend ballroom dancing lessons. Depending on where you take them, they can be a great place to meet women, too. My college had a course in ballroom dancing (which coincidentally actually counted towards my graduation requirements), I think of the I believe ten girls in it, only two of them had boyfriends. There is also usually too few guys there, so usually you will be at a premium as a partner.

Rata Blanca

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to add some spicy style to your dance the secret is in the waist ;)
Try moving in your house, you know front and back, left, right.
(Specially left and right)
Then do some circles. Imagine it as you were grabbing her by the shoulders and you can only move your waist, follow the beats, drums, battery of whatever, those intrstruments are the main rhytm of the song, if they slow down you slow down, if they go faster, you go faster. Practice a lot and once your waist is really loose a lot girls will love you ;) (This is how male strippers move)
But remember, confidence, impredictibility and leading(couple dancing) habilities is what actually improves your dancing.

Rata Blanca

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Matheau said:
Once you get practice, they are very natural, and you can get the girl to do exactly what you want without saying anything, just by leading and with the right signals. Girls absolutely love that. I kind of think all the subtle body communication involved is the main draw.
This is very important girls love when the man takes the lead.
And if its the first time you dance with her and you watch her insecure about her dancing habilities, whisper her what you are going to do...like "we turn here, slow down a bit, we flip here, faster now...." etc...

manbearpig

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have any natural rhythm.

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dancing is supposed to be fun!

I remember when I used to dance like crazy in clubs. I'd just go into the danceroom... get my own space in the crowd... close my eyes for a few seconds, while starting to feel the beat and the rhythm of the music...
Then dance! Tune my body into the music and let it guide me along it's path. Let go of everything and dance! Free your mind, express yourself :D

Women would start dancing around me, and I'd be too busy doing my own thing to even pay much attention to them. Then I'd suddenly stop... as I felt the sweat drop from my face. That's when your body is going through a phase of having to deal with all the hormones that have just been raging through your body and now need to be contained, so you can stop... After that, the night can only get better.

Dancing is something inside of you that you're showing to the world, and only you can make it come out right.

The best way to actually get your groove on, is to dance for a minimum of an hour each day while you're in the privacy of your own home/room, until you've finally gotten in touch with that side of yourself.
Just keep dancing music on as much as you can... after a while, you'll catch yourself suddenly dancing to the music, because it's fun! :D

Oh yeah... alcohol can help... but in the end it's just a way of getting your mind beyond a certain point... if you can get your mind beyond that point without alcohol, it will be much more rewarding.

JonSter

Reaction score
I think the secret to freestyle dancing is to not think about it. Don't try to analyze what you're doing or what you're going to do next. Learn to feel the music.

Someone learning to dance can learn a move or two, but trying to spread that over two or three songs -- in front of a woman -- is difficult.

The best way to practice is in front of your friends and relatives at weddings, parties, or just goofing around. You won't mind looking like a fool in front of them.

When you're having a few cools ones with your buddies at someone's house, throw down $10.00 and say you can outdance anyone in the room (with everyone dancing at the same time). Dancing "goofy" would probably be seen as a plus in that situation, but you'll get lots of practice and start feeling more comfortable dancing in a group for more than a few minutes at a time.

At a family BBQ, encourage the teens to start dancing and dance with them.

When you're driving in your car, tune to a dance station and sway and bob to the beat till you just do it naturally, without thinking about it. You can do the same at home while you're online. Multitask.

Those are all painless ways to get aclimatized to dancing and develop your natural rythm. You may even find that you'll develop your own style, and others will start imitating you.

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
NOTE: I didn't read any posts beyond the first, so someone may have already given this tip. If so, I apologize. Also, this is just what I've found works for me. It's only a psychological tip, so for some people it may end up making them dance worse than before :nervous:. Oh well.

This is what I've discovered about dancing: If you think too hard about trying to dance well, your movements will appear unnatural and mechanical, and you'll come across as tense to anyone who might be watching you. Not only that, but your moves won't FEEL natural, which will make you even more insecure about what you're doing :down:. If instead, you think about things that are totally unrelated to dancing (e.g. school, sports, food, etc.), the rhythm of the music will get into your body and "take over", and you'll just start moving on your own. Not only will your moves appear more fluid and graceful, but you'll come across as being more relaxed, instead of being nervous about how "hot" your moves are like all the other guys on the dance floor. You'll also be able to FEEL the difference; your movements will seem more natural and fluid, which in turn make you feel better about what you're doing :up:.

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you wanna know a real easy way?

OK, well just down a few drinks and then your good to go. Seriously. You'll be relaxed and flow with the beats. I'm no dancer but the alcohol combined with the dark combined with the loud music no one can even tell.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing ballroom dance at somepoint soon, it looks smashing.