Dance Lessons

pyrez2k

Reaction score
When it comes to dancing I seem to have no sense of rhythm and cant dance worth sh*t. I know its probably all in my head, but I'm so self-conscious when dancing that I feel rediculous. So I decided to do something about this and learn to dance. Question is, how do you learn to dance like they do in the clubs? I found a local place that teaches Jazz/Hip Hop, would that help me out? If not then what should I look for? Also, would Ball-Room/Salsa dancing help my rhythm enough to enable me dance to other types of music?

Hercules

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just download some music videos and mimic thier dancing moves thats what i do...usher has awesome dance moves and also get some sean pual videos

Don Ronny

Banned
Reaction score
Dancing is for fairies.

Go hunting or something before your balls retract into your body and turn into ovaries.

Shadow Dancer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ahhh a question about dancing, oh how do I love thee...let me count the ways...1...2...3...

The way you see people dancing in clubs is not taught in any dance studio you're likely to come across. Unless you're in New York. If you ARE in NYC, let me know and I'll tell you exactly where to go for authentic street dance lessons taught by the best of the best.

Most of the stuff you'll come across in studios is choreography dancing. And no matter how cool that may look on a dance video it is NOT how you dance in the club. In fact, ask any actual dancer and they'll tell you that if you can't freestyle to the beat, you can't dance.

Be that as it may, going to a jazz/hip hop class WILL improve your rhythm, timing, etc, so in that regard it will be beneficial. And you will learn a few moves here and there that you can use in the club.

Taking a Salsa class will do wonders. You'll gain rhythm, etc., and you'll learn how to dance with a partner. You'll learn how to lead, spin the girl, be sensual...it's great. Although there aren't a ton of Salsa clubs to dance at. Double-although, you can incorporate Salsa in your freestyle club dancing (which is what I do) and you'll look phuckin dope. Sexy as hell.

Ok, so you see the plusses and minuses with studios. So what's the BEST way to learn? On your own, my boy, on your own. Here's my advice to you...

Step 1:

Find out which musical style moves you. Do you get the groovy feeling while listening to Hip hop, or to Swing, or to R&B, etc? Find the musical style you really connect to and "feel".

Step 2:

Put the music on and just start moving to the beat. Close your shades, lock your door for privacy if you like. Don't worry if you suck, don't know where to place your hands, and are uncoordinated. Just get used to moving on the beat. Imagine the music is flowing through you and making you groove.

Step 3:

Once you can move on beat, download music videos of your desired music that contain dancing footage. Pick ONE basic and very simple move that you see and try to do it. Practice that move over and over till you can do it perfect and ON BEAT. When you got that move perfect, copy another move. Perfect it. Then one more move. Perfect it. Once you have all three moves down and on beat, work on smoothly transitioning from one move to the next.

This is basic. Once you've done this you can contact me and I'll guide you on what to do next.

This may take you 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months...it all depends on you. But you better believe you WILL be SO HAPPY and LOVIN YOURSELF when you can finally dance. You gain so much more than just the ability to move your body.

Kineti[C]harm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jazz/hiphop will teach you rythms etc but when you dance at clubs it's freestyling, just feeling the music.

CrazyGoNuts

Don Juan
Reaction score
not being able to dance isnt even an issue when you go to clubs and stuff, especially in NYC. There are tons of people who cant really dance and go out there anyways and have fun. Most of the people in there are gonna be f*cked up in one way or another anyways and its not like they laugh at those who cant dance.

I used to go clubbin every weekend and almost everyone I used to meet there was just cool and very relaxed. Back when I started tryin to mess around with glowsticks people would just come up to me and say "hey man, try it this way instead of that way", etc ...

CrazyGoNuts

Don Juan
Reaction score
another thing that should probably be mentioned is this: MOST girls can dance well enough where if you go up to one you can just follow her movements. Its also a good way to listen to the beats and get used to the proper movements.

myfriendblu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
. So what's the BEST way to learn? On your own, my boy, on your own. Here's my advice to you...

This may take you 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months...it all depends on you. But you better believe you WILL be SO HAPPY and LOVIN YOURSELF when you can finally dance. You gain so much more than just the ability to move your body.
Im with shadow dancer on this. Many people just go out to clubs and get bombed on alcohol to make up for their lack of dance ability. Its sooooo sad.

Learn to dance people. its not hard. It will enable you to go out all the time without spending ridiculous money on alcohol and it will save your body from the damage of gettin wasted all the time. You will be amazed on how much better you feel the next day after a drink or two as compared to ten. once you can do that, its no problem to go out to clubs 3 days in a row or such all the time. I have been known to club 3 straight days for weeks or months on at end. Why? I don't get drunk and I don't spend much money./ :D

CrazyGoNuts

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't get drunk and I don't spend much money./
damn dude, 3 nights in a row will cost me 60-75 just in cover charges. The clubs are great so I dont mind it, but I never understood how people were willin to spend like 200+ every weekend like some of my friends do from time to time

Walk this Way

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're too shy, don't you have any female friends who can teach you? I dunno what all these macho DJ guys think, but I squeeze the best uses out of my female friends, and dancing is something they know because they love those stupid videos.

Shadow Dancer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Dementia...you the same "Dementia" from the Wiggles board?

AlwaysExcel

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd suggest some type of ballroom dance lessons to learn how to dance with another person. Dance in front of a mirror to your favorite dance music and talk to good dancers about their moves to develop your freestyle solo moves. Dance for the fun of it though.

I Fvckin LOVE dancing regardless of the women! I freestyle dance solo quite a bit and change up my dance to the various music styles and subgenres I'm dancing to. I hate dancing while intoxicated on most things, ESPECIALLY alcohol. Once I hit that groove where I'm warmed up and feeling the music, I tear it the hell up! Dancing solo is a whole different ball game than dancing with another person though.

Generic Club dancing is the non-solo dance with the least amount of style. People aren't very synchronized unless they grinding, because the best way to be synchronized is to have some part of your body touching the other person. Club dancing isn't that hard to do but I get kinda bored with it, especially grinding. If I'm not touching the other person, I'd rather be doing my own thing and not worrying about someone else. Most girls can't hang with my freestyle anyhow! Hehe!

Latin, swing, and other ballroom dances are pimp as fvck because you can lead the girl and the two of you are much more in sync. The whole thing is very smooth, physically and mentally. Dancing is basically physical seduction and ballroom dancing is a seductive conversation between bodies. The girl enjoys it when you take the lead just like when you are strong and know where you are going in other areas of seduction. A lot girls gripe about guys not being good dancers but a lot of the girls I've met don't follow very well.