daily push-ups and sit-ups

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Does doing push-ups and sit-ups everyday affects my weight-lifting routines? Or should I only do push-ups on only on days that I work on chest like benching?
Also, is there such thing as over-training or doing too much push-ups, like too many reps?

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i wouldnt do pushups the day before chest, it will hinder your results. sit ups who cares, doing tons a day is useless anyways.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to run in the mornings and lift at night. In the mornings I will mix up body weight exercises to make it interesting. I do my chest on mondays which means I wont be doing body weight pushups/dips until Thursday. I do back on wednesday so no pullups/chinups until saturday. I do my legs/shoulders on fridays so I take the weekends off to allow my legs to rest up. Usually my monday workout is sprints to go along with the trend of "weights" to work the muscle good and then the lighter Body weight exertion after a few days rest which is sprints for the legs.
Key here is dont over train or it will take longer for results and you may injure yourself. Listen to your body and not some workout schedule you made up or copied from the internet.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by vanwilder
sit ups who cares, doing tons a day is useless anyways.
That's quite the comment.:rolleyes:

You can do sit-ups everyday since they are a low intensity exercise. This is actually preferred with elite level track athletes. Most do between 500 - 1000 reps of various ab exercises per day.

Push-ups can be done everyday too if you don't go to failure. They are good for recovery.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wheelin&dealin
That's quite the comment.:rolleyes:

You can do sit-ups everyday since they are a low intensity exercise. This is actually preferred with elite level track athletes. Most do between 500 - 1000 reps of various ab exercises per day.

Push-ups can be done everyday too if you don't go to failure. They are good for recovery.
for the point of getting abs it wont do very much, for core ****, yeah they need that. sorry i was thinking from a totally different perspective. i dont even bother with abs, i find it useless.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont know why everyone gets the impression that you can do abs daily. THey need rest after an intense workout just like your pecs, triceps, lats, biceps, traps, quads etc. I guess if you go light you can go every day but I am not a fan of doing a little bit of every muscle group in a workout. I would rather concentrate on an area and really get a good workout in.
PErsonally its Every other day at the minimum for abs but I like to give it more time if my body says so. Listen to your muscles and dont over train because you set yourself up for failure.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"sit ups who cares, doing tons a day is useless anyways."

You're wrong, mate.

You or all the hundreds of professional/amateur boxers that live by them. And boxers just so happen to be some of the most fit athletes there is, streangely.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MrS
"sit ups who cares, doing tons a day is useless anyways."

You're wrong, mate.

You or all the hundreds of professional/amateur boxers that live by them. And boxers just so happen to be some of the most fit athletes there is, streangely.

They are fit, but they usually don't have bulging six-packs. When MrS defined them "useless", he probably meant that if you want a nice six-pack, you're better off doing weighted crunches with low reps.

silverfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you work right, eat right and rest right calisthenics are a good fitness routine.

Most military units centre on pushups, pullups, dips, situps and squats (and variations thereof) as the core of their conditioning. Note the USMC has a pullup test - not a lat pulldown test.

Add some running or swimming and you will be in good shape with functional fitness. Unless you are a genetic freak you will not build a beach physique this way though.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by silverfox
Unless you are a genetic freak you will not build a beach physique this way though.
It depends on what you consider a beach physique. Where I live, the beach body is more similar to Abercrombie and Fitch's models than an average bodybuilder. We usually refer to the typical Californian surfer, which is nothing more than athletic.

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
after achieving both types of physiques before ,i'd mush rather
have the shredded ripped physique -then be all muscle bound,
but thats just me.
For anyone that doubts the power of pull ups/push ups/crunches-NEVER did them to the extent that caused true development.

but then again nothing will ever replace the strength gained
from raw deadlifts or power cleans.