Curfew?

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 16 years old and a junior in high school and my curfew until now was 11:30. I was able to convince my parents to extend it to 12:00, which is pretty good. Now, this is generally fine for normal nights, but now and then there are times where I'll need to/want to stay out later. Also, I have a lot of friends, many of them younger than me, that have curfews later than that (or at least their parents are more lenient and will extend it if necessary).

I've tried talking nicely and persuasively to my mom about maybe extending it some more after a period of time of it being 12, but she won't budge. And the problem is not that she doesn't want me out that late, but that the curfew by law is 12. And she is completely determined not to break it. I've tried telling her that it's a secondary offense (meaning they can't pull you over just for being out, they may just charge you for it if you're already getting pulled over for some other offense). I've also even tried telling her that even if for some reason you are pulled over, and you aren't doing anything else wrong (speeding, drunk, etc.), the large majority of all police officers will not charge you for being out, and will simply tell you to go home. So, basically, the curfew being a law shouldn't really be a big issue, though she makes it out to be one.

I know a 12:00 curfew is already fairly generous, and I am grateful that I have it, I just would like to be able to have some more slack on a case-by-case basis (which will occur much more in the summer). Any tips on how I can convince her that it's alright for me to be driving past 12 if I'm in a situation where I need to be (concert, midnight movie, etc.)?

Kidd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Prove that you are responsible.

I always have to be home by 11 at the LATEST.. Be happy that for you its 12.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
where do you live, since when is their a curfew by law? as for parents curfew's my parents would want me to be home intime to go to sleep at a resonable hour like 11 on a school night or sleep round a freinds house. although they wont let me do that to much on school nights.

If its not a school night well they dont tell me when to come home, although i dont go out very late very often, latest i come home is maybe 11;30-12 anyway although i stayed out to 2 in the morning before then stayed at my freinds house.

Zaine

Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a magical land across a TREACHEROUS ocean, FILLED with serpents and sea creatures... and at this land is many an unknown thing. This land I speak of is called... AMERICA... **** YEAH! GOING TO SAVE THE MOTHER ****ING DAY YEAH! Terrorists your game is thorugh, 'cuz now you have to answer to... AMERICA! **** YEAH!

We have a curfew here.

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk
where do you live, since when is their a curfew by law? as for parents curfew's my parents would want me to be home intime to go to sleep at a resonable hour like 11 on a school night or sleep round a freinds house. although they wont let me do that to much on school nights.

If its not a school night well they dont tell me when to come home, although i dont go out very late very often, latest i come home is maybe 11;30-12 anyway although i stayed out to 2 in the morning before then stayed at my freinds house.
Well yeah, I'm talking about on nights when there's no school. I (and no one I know for that matter) never go out on school nights unless it's something particularly special.

Also, another thing I failed to mention was that since it's the law to be in at 12 she gets pissed if I come home even 5 minutes late, whereas if it wasn't techinically against the law she wouldn't care if I was a few minutes late. And this usually happens if it takes you longer to get home or something, which you don't always intentionally do.

Sir Lancelot

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't know there was actually a law for this, wierd. My curfew right now is 12:30, but my parents are pretty lenient about it. If I won't be coming home right at 12:30 I usually call home and tell them I'm going to be a little late. I just turned 18 though, so if I do break curfew they don't mind as much.

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, my parents usually get pissed if im home after 12.

Whenever theres a night where i want to stay out later(like a party or something) i crash by my friends house.
Just find a friend with parents who dont care about curfew, and thats it

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by skinnydart
Mine's 11, 12 would be so sweet.
Yeah, believe me, I'm grateful i got the extension. I'm just mad that she is completely unwilling to budge at all in terms of me being home a few minutes late, and me wanting to stay out later on special occassions (though maybe she will then, I don't know because I haven't had any since I've had my license; last summer when I was on swim team she let me go out to eat with some kids at like 12 30 am and getting home at around 2 after the meets, so I'm just hoping she'll let me drive).

SetzerSky

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mine used to be 12, and now its been extended to 2... the problem is I am 18, but being a senior and living at home I am expected to abide by the house rules... Anways, just stay at a friends house and you'll be fine... Or do what I did over the summer and jsut sneak out after coming home.

Fabrizio

Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont know, i'm 15, and my curfew is 1 am. and it has been for like a year. but recently i been getting in trouble, and they are trying to cut it back, but i always end up pursuading them to leave it at 1. i wont dare say to extend it, cause i know 1 is way too long for my age, but you know if it was up to me it would be like 2. they said they were gonna cut it back to 12, and i was pissed. most of my friends are older, so they stay out longer, that is why i think my curfew is early. maybe when i am 16 they will maybe move it to 1:30, you know then i can have some extended time, just calling in saying i am doing this or whatever, so they dont worry and get mad.

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just stay at someone else's house. That's what I did.

Mr. Debonaire

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zaine
There's a magical land across a TREACHEROUS ocean, FILLED with serpents and sea creatures... and at this land is many an unknown thing. This land I speak of is called... AMERICA... **** YEAH! GOING TO SAVE THE MOTHER ****ING DAY YEAH! Terrorists your game is thorugh, 'cuz now you have to answer to... AMERICA! **** YEAH!

We have a curfew here.
WTF??? lmao

go team america

jrme1212

Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually there is no law on how late you can stay out. Where I am from you just can't be driving past 12 if your only 16. The law drops when your 17 though. As for me at my moms house my curfew is non-existant. (My parents are divorced) But at my dads i have to be home by like 11:30 unless it's a hockey night or something.