Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Criss Angel, is it real or fake?

Mission

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been checking out some Criss Angel videos, particularily the levitating ones. I know how to actually do the basic levitating trick and have had a magician do it right infront of my eyes. However it only works if you plan on levitating a few inches off the ground. I witnessed Criss float across two buildings with people on the street looking up and watching in awe. Of course I am aware of many tricks that TV can use to make a magician look amazing. HOWEVER I have also looked into some of the crazy physics theory's such as string theory etc. Some theorys suggest that we live in a world of infinite possibilities, such as how an electron surrounding a nucleus could be in one of millions of places and we can never actually mathematically say where it will be in one exact moment, until we observe it that is.

Think of this; you are playing basketball and you look away from the ball for a moment. When you are not looking at it, the ball could be ANYWHERE but you can guess more or less what it is, this is probability it is based on your senses but until you PHYSICALLY observe the ball as being in a certain location it is everywhere around you.

So is it possible that Criss Angel has found a way to manipulate the odds to allow him to do things that seemingly involve the classical laws of physics, but of course those laws are based only on the observations that MOST commonly occur.

Think about it, racks your brain doesn't it.

--Mission

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not especially. If Criss Angel had really found a way to bypass even SOME of the principle laws of physics (i.e. gravity), do you believe for one instant that he would use it for parlor tricks? Of course not - there are billions (if not trillions) of dollars available for someone who has figured out a way to perform such a feat. Everyone from the military to the Nobel Committee would be interested. The person who figured this out wouldn't be selling "Criss Angel" rulers for $4 a pop on their website. :rolleyes:

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He might know psychokinesis. In theory you can use it on yourself if you're that good at it. It's probably just a trick though.

Diablo, not necessarily. If what he can do is real and he revealed it, he could find him self in a lab at the autopsy table.

I know how to actually do the basic levitating trick and have had a magician do it right infront of my eyes. However it only works if you plan on levitating a few inches off the ground.
How do you do the levitation trick?

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of his disapearing tricks are nothing more than stop and go photography with the camera. The audience members are all actors for these type of tricks. You also have to take into account with modern video editing software you can create almost anything on screen.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shiftkey said:
Diablo, not necessarily. If what he can do is real and he revealed it, he could find him self in a lab at the autopsy table.
By "revealing it", do you mean hovering above buildings within full sight of public onlookers? Or perhaps by selling tickets to shows for his tour which is filled with such feats? Or even by advertising himself through numerous banner ads on various websites around the world?

Gosh, it's a good thing he's not revealing his powers to anyone but himself... :rolleyes:

On a side note, and regarding 'levitating' between two buildings many stories tall... I'll be glad to sell you some invisiline for $90 a roll. All you'll need is 4 rolls, a building over 30 feet tall, and either an assistant or an electical motor. My PayPal is ready whenever you are.

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, most of that stuff is performed infront of a paid audience with a crane when he flies into the air.

If that dude could manipulate the universe using the principles of the string theory, then he definitely would NOT be hosing cheesy shows to impress people. He'd travel back in time, bet on sports events or buy stocks and become filthy rich, or make an alternate universe where he's the king of the world.

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
Camera Angles + Editing Suite + Stooges + Staged Effects. Which is not to say there is anything wrong with that either. Criss Angel roots from stage magicians. A lot of his stuff are not completely new, see Burton and Copperfield for different variations of tricks. Criss adds an extra shock/blood/gore'ish flair to his performance.

You should go to youtube and do a search on Cyril Takayama and Derran Brown.

Mission

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow guys great response.
Shiftkey: the trick is all about angles, basically you need to have great perception of the other persons point of view, and then you simply go up on your toes on one foot with your feet very close together. Practice infront of a full sized mirror with your back turned and you will find the angle, its actually damn cool.

--Mission

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does this mean you aren't interested in buying the invisiline? I'll offer a $10 discount if you get it within the next 24 hours... that means instead of $360, you'll get 4 quality rolls dropshipped to you for only $350 (including shipping via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation).

Yes, you can see my ebay powerseller side coming through a bit.. ;)

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only on sosuave could someone try to use String Theory to explain why they think Cris Angel's tricks are real. LMFAO :kick:

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I don't like about this show is that too many of his tricks are based on simple camera gimmicks. Ever wonder how Criss disapears under a blanket in the middle of a street and then reappears on the roof of a building?

He uses a common technique that has been used by special effects people called "stop and go" photography in movies for decades. He gets under the blanket, the camera is turned off, Criss moves to the top of the building undetected by the home viewing audience because the camera is off, then through the magic of editing he is placed on top of the building. The cheering crowd are all actors. David Copperfield was notorious for using stop and go camera tricks on his live shows on TV.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He's fake. He can't levitate, he can't walk through glass or any of the other nonsense that he does.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Criss Angel is a simple magician and I'm willing to argue with anyone who disagrees. What he pulls are tricks and nothing more, no quantum theory, no string theory, but mere tricks. And remember, ask any magician and they will tell you the people who are most gullible to trickery are smart people; the more you focus on trying to unravel the trick, the easier you are to being conned. To quote Penn of Penn & Teller, "Magic is a despicable art form, and magicians are more despicable people than jugglers. All you're really doing with magic is lying. In that sense you're taking a basic societal taboo into the artistic realm. That's a very fascinating thing to do, very hip, very happening. Also, magic has irony built into it, and irony is one of the strongest things you can do in theatre. Even done badly as sarcasm, irony always works. In magic you have something that looks one way, and is actually being done another way."

The Truth

Banned
Reaction score
Seeing him walk on water was incredible! It baffled my mind!

But he is merely an illusionist like David Copperfield, David Blaine and others like them. When Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty "disappear" it was a camera trick and nothing more. When David Blaine "levatated" he was lifted on wires and the footage was edited to make it look like an audience was watching.

I would like to know how it's all done but usually when you find out its very disappointing. I still think he's better than Jesus though!

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Criss Angel is a simple magician and I'm willing to argue with anyone who disagrees. What he pulls are tricks and nothing more, no quantum theory, no string theory, but mere tricks. And remember, ask any magician and they will tell you the people who are most gullible to trickery are smart people; the more you focus on trying to unravel the trick, the easier you are to being conned. To quote Penn of Penn & Teller, "Magic is a despicable art form, and magicians are more despicable people than jugglers. All you're really doing with magic is lying. In that sense you're taking a basic societal taboo into the artistic realm. That's a very fascinating thing to do, very hip, very happening. Also, magic has irony built into it, and irony is one of the strongest things you can do in theatre. Even done badly as sarcasm, irony always works. In magic you have something that looks one way, and is actually being done another way."
As a Magician I can honestly say that he is pretty much correct.

Also... not everything Criss Angel does is 'stop and go' (although, it is something that is used in 'television magic').

A lot of the stuff that you see Blaine, Angel, and others of that ilk use are very expensive and very elaborate 'effects' ('trick' is such a dirty ****ing word ;)) that are more along the lines of low grade special effects than simple camera editing.

If all it took was 'stop and go' photography, there would be a lot more magicians on television right now.

AS