Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Creating the sense of mystery

-Boogerman-

Don Juan
Reaction score
Edmond Dantes was betrayed by his friends and convicted for treason while being innocent. He was sent to the prison on If where he spent almost twenty years of his life planning his revenge. In the prison he met a person that thought him everything he should know, from history to nobility. When he later escaped, everyone close to him thought he was dead. After his escape he joined the smuggler Vampa and sailed with them for a time. He went to the island of Monte Cristo and dug up a legendary treasure that his friend in If had told him about.

From that moment he became the Count of Monte Cristo. When he later arrived to Paris his reputation had already spread to the Parisians. They had heard about a stranger who had infinite money and who just had popped up of nowhere; calling himself Count the Monte Cristo; a lifeless island people knew, but count? He hadn’t even told his name, and that made people interested in him. Edmond Dantes played his cards right, he knew how to be a mystery, and he knew if people would know who he was, he would surely be sent back to If or be killed. So he rarely spoke, when he did, he gave it much thought and he always spoke with a slow, rhetorical, noble and ambiguous voice so he didn’t tell anything about himself but the people could make their own fantasies about him. A part of his plan was to get to know his enemies and their weaknesses so he could avenge his mistreated life. He would tell them ambiguous sentences that would fit the moment but hinted on what the person had done in their past.

Another thing that made Edmond so mysterious was his way of showing new sides of himself. All the other nobles had a strict and regular life. Edmond had an exciting and mysterious life. He would be accompany exotic people, throw parties then and there, buy a new home just like that. No one could ever plan his actions; some seemed very strange but they all served the purpose of getting his revenge. Because of his way of not being regular he was in constant focus of the cream of society who wished to know who this charming man was. He revealed his name a few times, and only when it served his revenge.

What can be learnt

Edmond Dantes was an expert in making himself a mystery. He knew that otherwise he would have been killed. So instead of just being angry and coming back and killing everyone that had been disloyal to him he planned everything, the reputation, the public appearances and his revenge. He knew that people would suffer more if he found their weaknesses and played on them. And even if he made people suffer by murdering them he would either have to flee or be arrested himself.

Be unique
If your goal is to be mysterious then you have to be able to stand out. Wear unique jewelry, clothes and have a unique haircut or beard. You should look stylish in this things, not goofy. Another example of uniqueness can be to have an own personality trait that people wonder about.

Avoid the regularities
If people know who you are, then you are becoming boring fast. You should always contrast you personality to ensure that you keep people on their toes. In private you can be regular, but in public your highest priority is to avoid people from seeing any regularities in you.

Contrast your personality
If people start to see patterns in you then you should contrast your personality. If you are friendly, then bringing a person to your house and having a gun lying on top of a table so they glance at it. When you are sure they have seen it then try to cover it with something as if you suspect that they have not seen it.

Be vague
When you are talking about yourself, be vague. Do not tell people straight facts about yourself. When people ask questions about you or what you do say something generally about your profession. If you are a bas player then say that you are in the music business or such.

Do the unexpected
This is much like contrasting your personality but instead of using tools for it, you use action. If you are playing very shy, then doing a speech in front of the school will throw people of their stability. At least people will wonder why this seemingly shy person made such a great speech.

Speak less
If you speak too much you will not be able to hold your mask or your mystery intact. You will seem very common and people will look for more interesting persons. If you are to speak, then be vague as stated above; speak slowly and with authority. Do not speak before you have thought of what to say. Silence creates mystery and interest.

Hidden talents
If you are going to be mysterious then you must be able to do things that people do not expect from you. Sometimes it can be good to show some of these talents that you have so people will be confused. Hide your best talents and show the moderate ones so people does not become intimidated by you. If people expect you to be a lousy singer and one time you start to sing in front of an audience then people will have much trouble counting what hidden resources you have.

This can be seen in the movie “The 13:th warrior” with Antonio Banderas. The Vikings that come to aid must find a way to seem more powerful then they are to keep their enemies at bay. So they decide to have a duel. An old short Viking start to pick a fight with a large, muscular and young one. The younger Viking get angry and they start to fight each other in a circle of death. The entire village sees this fight. At first the older Viking seem to loose, his shields get splintered, he get a tired and everyone know that he will loose. At the end of the fight he try to catch his breath leaning on his sword while the younger Viking attacks him to kill him. In one swift move the old Viking seem invigorated and slay the younger one and walk of confident not looking tired at all. This shows the enemies that there is more force to this man than he show.

vudufixit

Don Juan
Reaction score
Great ideas, except I think the gun thing may not be such a great idea.
Most people are unenlightened about guns, especially women, and I think they'd be afraid, repulsed, or both.
An unusual decorative object, or even a really elegant-looking (perhaps ceremonial) knife might be better.

-Boogerman-

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hell yeah, the gun can only be used in very few occations. I just wanted to show the contrast in it's extreme. Cermonial dagger, bible, anything works. Even a teddybear if you are very evil ;)

-Boogerman-

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. :) Actually I only have summarized this from different sources frpm hints here and there. So it is not me who have made up this stuff, I just wrote it down. Just put in some of my own thoughts and experiences in it. Glad you liked it Dario.

affirmed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What I love about this post is it uses nuts and bolts examples rather than being all vague, some of it reminds me of 48 laws of power, but, unlike that, you actually come away with some concrete ideas rather than a general whiff of what you could maybe try doing possibly while mostly wondering exactly how Napoleons battle strategies can be incorporated into your lack of success at seeming powerful.

-Boogerman-

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks affirmed, I just borrowed the book and I see that I am very influented in that way o writing.