Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Creatine: How to use it? Also, qu. about Dextrose

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, i've been working out for awhile, but only gained about 6 lbs after working out for 3 months, as i am a HARD GAINER, and i dont have acess to enough food to do some serious bulking...

I've been considering creatine, and i've searched the forum, but havnet seen anything on the basics of using creatine...

1. I assume you just dissolve the powder into warm/hot water right?
2. How often do you drink it? Say i work out about once a week, sometimes twice, how often and when do i drink the stuff?
3. Are there any side effects to using creatine?
4. I hear you have to really stock up on water when you use it, this true?
5. Any other precautions i should take before i try this out?
5. Any specific kinds of brands/type of creatine thats the best? Which shoudl i avoid?

Also for dextrose, i cant seem to find it anywhere. Is this stuff like kinda 'frowned upon' or something? Coz i asked this one health store, and the employee was like "GASP! NO!"...
1. Is dextrose in pill form or powder?
2. When do you take it? Just awhile before work out and then after?
3. Its just basically to give you more carbs so you have enough energy to do more right?

Thanks alot

W

wheelin&dealin

Originally posted by sonick182:

1. Is dextrose in pill form or powder?
2. When do you take it? Just awhile before work out and then after?
3. Its just basically to give you more carbs so you have enough energy to do more right?
1. Powder

2. Post workout, take about 75 - 100 grams with your protein, creatine or whatever other supplements you put in your shake.

3. No. If you take it with protein and creatine. It aids in recovery by quickly replenishing your muscles with carbs, protein and creatine.

nibun

Don Juan
Reaction score
bump

I would like to hear see more of those Qs answered too

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BerzerkFury
Oh yea, Cell-tech is pretty much the best powdered creatine you can buy, fairly expensive though.
Don't be Cell-Tech. It's a good product but overpriced. Just mix some creatine with dextrose post workout and you should be fine.

K-Daddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cell-Tech is effective...about as effective as 75g of dextrose mixed with 10g of creatine. It's not worth the price. You don't pay for extra effectiveness from the ALA because ALA degrades rapidly when exposed to air.

You can find dextrose in your local wine-making store. You probably do have one near you. Another name for it is corn sugar, so you can look for it by that name if you need to. If you want to order online, www.supplementdirect.com and www.bulkfoods.com both come to mind as they both have it at good prices...even though locally wouldn't be bad pricewise.

Dextrose with creatine is not absolutely necessary but it helps. Since you're bulking, it'll definitely help. By the way...if you're wanting to bulk, you have to eat-eat-eat, especially if you have a high metabolism. I don't believe that there is such thing as a "hardgainer"...just people with higher metabolisms than others and people that don't eat as much as they think they eat. You eat until you grow, and then you keep eating. That's it. Buy you some tuna and peanut butter and get to it.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sonick182
I've been considering creatine, and i've searched the forum, but havnet seen anything on the basics of using creatine...

1. I assume you just dissolve the powder into warm/hot water right?
2. How often do you drink it? Say i work out about once a week, sometimes twice, how often and when do i drink the stuff?
3. Are there any side effects to using creatine?
4. I hear you have to really stock up on water when you use it, this true?
5. Any other precautions i should take before i try this out?
6. Any specific kinds of brands/type of creatine thats the best? Which shoudl i avoid?
I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp, but anybody feel free to fix any of my mistakes...

#1 - Water or juice, doesn't have to be hot. I use phosphagen HP, which is working better than the GNC stuff I used to use. I've heard good things about Cell-tech, but it is rather expensive.

#2 - If you're only working out 1-2x per week, creatine might not be for you. Then again, it still will probably help you put on some size. If you take it, first you need to go through a 4-5 day loading period. These days you take 20g per day (most products have serving sizes of 5g, meaning you would take 4 servings per day. Cell-tech is in 10g serving sizes, so you would take 2 per day). After the loading phase, you need to take creatine everyday to maintain muscle stores. You should take 5-10g per day after the loading phase (for a 6-8 week "cycle") Most research I've seen encourages cycling creatine, but Cell-tech claims you don't have to. Until there is more research, I would cycle it (6-8 weeks on creatine, then 6 weeks off). After the loading phase, on workout days take creatine right after your workout. On non-workout days, take creatine as soon as you wake up in the morning.

#3 - No significant negative side effects to speak of, at least in the short term. There is no long-term research on effects. If you have kidney problems, or your family has a history of kidney problems, I wouldn't risk taking creatine. Anti-creatine people say creatine puts extra stress on kidneys, although there is no research to back this up (their claim is based on the fact that you're drinking more water, thus your body must create more urine, causing stress on kidneys). There is also no research saying creatine does not damage kidneys in the long run.
As for other side effects, you will gain weight while on creatine, but a good amount of it will be water weight. Some people become more injury prone (muscle strains and pulls) while on creatine. Others (myself included) feel creatine adds stress to ligaments, as your muscles are growing at a rate faster than your body can adapt to. This doesn't keep me from using creatine, however it is something to be conscious of if you have joint problems already.

#4 - Yes. Drink at least a gallon a day, especially while loading. You will be pissing a lot. I drink about 24 ounces with each serving of creatine, and there are 128 ounces in a gallon. Do the math - if you're taking 4 servings a day with about 24 ounces per serving (nothing magical about that number, by the way), that's already 96 ounces. You only need another 32 ounces during the course of the day. Usually I drink a little more than a gallon in a day - I'm constantly drinking water.

#5 - make sure you're lifting with proper form, make sure you're not overtraining. Eat well while your on creatine - if you're looking for results you need to give your body the foundation for growth. If you have conditions such as kidney problems, ligament problems, or something else that may be effected by creatine (thin blood, blood clots, etc...) then do some more research before you get on it. Personally I think creatine is a great supplement if you do all the other stuff while your taking it (lifting and eating right). You're not going to get results just by taking creatine though...

#6 - Use something reputable. EAS Phosphagen HP is what I use - it combines creatine with a "transport system" that is supposed to help your body absorb creatine efficiently. I have used Xrated and GNC brand creatine - they both worked fine, but the Phosphagen HP I'm taking now is better (and it's not all that expensive). I've heard good things about cell-tech too, but I haven't tried it so I won't recommend it. As for ones to avoid, I can't help you. If you're buying from a company you haven't heard of, there's a higher liklihood you're buying an inferior product. Buy from a company that has something to lose if they sell a poor product - EAS, GNC, Hi-Health brands (I believe Xrated is a Hi-health brand), MuscleTech (cell-tech). If you want the decision made for you, go with the EAS Phosphagen HP. At the very least it's a good starting point.

I hope this helps.