Concept II rowing machine

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My gym added a pair of concept II rowing machines recently. I'm starting a cutting cycle tonight so I tried it out for 12 minutes. Took a "break" to do crunches and then did another 12 on the life cycle. Phew! I'm a rag.

I checked out the concept II website and watched the animation to get an idea of what the proper form is. Only thing is, an overhand grip feels sort of unnatural. I switched back and forth from overhand to underhand grip. The underhand grip seems to work the bis and back better while the overhand seems to work traps and tris more.

Anybody here know whether or not your grip matters here?

It was one hell of a cardio session either way. After about minute three, it becomes obvious you are getting a full body workout. I'm going to be a big rowing machine fan.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I only had one piece of equipment I could use it would be the Concept ll, in my view it does a bit of everything and is by far the best exercise for cardio - HIIT or steady state. You have to learn proper technique though and the vast majority of people do it totally wrong so get someone in the know - ideally a rower - to show you how to perform it correctly.

I've always done it with an overhand grip, that's what the guys in the rowing team I know do and that's good enough for me. I would have thought an underhand grip would feel unnatural if anything. Remember, rowing is a great allround exercise but you have your free weight movements in order to hit specific bodyparts so personally I would advise conventional rowing form.

As a former rower I'm sure Diesel could give you more technical advice than I.

Draguignan

Don Juan
Reaction score
The correct grip is one that one would use for a motorcycle. Don't worry about initial blisters, by the way. They'll disappear.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never had a single blister from it, you shouldn't be gripping it that tight. (Mind you, my hands are pretty robust from years of lifting).

siph

Don Juan
Reaction score
i believe your using the machine incorrectly. I have a room-mate who is D1 recruited rower whos team placed first nationally in high school. His biggest pet peave is that people think rowers use their upperbody. If you subscribe to proper form, you will be putting most of the work on your legs. That is after all the largest muscle that could be reasonably used for rowing. There is also a lot of form that should be built up, it is lack of form that prevents many guys in great physical shape from rowing well. After hearing him talk about everything involved in rowing properly id be hesitant to even get on a machine. regardless, try and look up some good information on form before getting on the machine