Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Conceal & Carry: For those that carry...

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those of you that [legally] carry a pistol during everyday life, I was curious which type of weapon you carry, your reasons for selecting that weapon and which type of holster/placement you prefer (especially during warmer months and locations)?

Also, when you need to enter locations where carrying is not allowed, how do you prefer to store your weapon in your car?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always like the Glock models, they're pretty much idiot-proof (stop laughing). For standard size I liked the G21. Easy to use, easy to clean, accurate and lightweight. I also like the smaller G38 (very nice for conceal and carry).

Falco makes a nice shoulder holster that you wear under your weak arm and it can be used as a standard hip holster too. It's leather and comes with a double magazine holder.

When you need to temporarily need to store your weapon I suggest keeping it in a lockbox in the trunk. It keeps law enforcement at ease if you're ever pulled over and had forgotten to put it in a visible area in the passenger compartment. One last thing, NEVER put on your holster when driving, it is extremely dangerous.

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a recent Glock convert myself.

For years I've shot my Gold Cup. Before that carried 1911's in the service. It's hard to beat that sweet single action trigger pull and my paws really like the 1911 frame and grip. Not to mention it is such a sweet Bullseye gun.

Then one day in a more tactical training setup (poppers from tactical rigs, no concealment) my friend beat me on the 1st draw because I missed dropping the thumb safety on the 1911. I beat him on every other occassion - but what good was that when he got off the FIRST THREE shots of the day before I fumbled and got one out.

So I've been working like crazy to learn the Glock double action trigger. Mainly lots and lots and lots of range time with an emphasis on medium distance 3-shot groups drawn from the holster (for speed and general accuracy) and a lot of longer distance slowfire because it really amplifies the subtleties of the longer DA trigger pull and different frame geometry. Right now I'm shooting a G17 to keep the shooting costs down while learning the the Glock way. This frame would probably even be tolerable for cold weather carry (with bigger clothes and coats).

I'm still a bit weary about the crossdraw holsters. They sure sit in a nice place for general carry (winter and summer). However, I find the motion of bringing the weak hand to the gun without covering it with the muzzle to be quite difficult (not to mention covering others whom are not the threat).

Agreed on the car transport storage in trunk/rear of vehicle. Even though the carry permit allows it to be anywhere in the car loaded, you're better off having it on you in the holster or in the trunk unloaded and locked in a box if possible. The later will probably save you a crapload of trouble if you've had a few drinks and get pulled over where the lower BAC rule for carriers could get you with just 2 drinks!

For people that take C&C seriously, its a very interesting and personal subject with lots to learn from both novice and experienced individuals alike.

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Serialized3 said:
5 shots of 357 mag stopping power, small enough to fit in a pocket or waistband (even though it's a bit heavy), and there's nothing faster on the draw than a revolver (I wouldn't want to carry a semi-auto with a bullet in the chamber)
...yeah, I have a couple of friends who carry compact revolvers. There is much to be said for the simplicity!

You mentoned the revolver is faster since there's one in the chamber and you don't prefer to carry one ramped up in a semi-auto. I used to follow that train of thought too (especially with the single-actions autos). But now I'm changing my tune there. A lot of the auto's are now double-action triggers (very much like the revolver). So in theory, carrying one ramped up in a double-action auto is very much like carrying a chambered round in a revolver - a trigger pull away. However, even that argument does not counter the mechanical reliability (and often size) of the revolver! And there is also the topic of unloading a weapon for example, unloading a ramped up auto seems more complicated and risky to many shooters.

Serialized3 said:
Its actually closer to 50 cents these days, damn Iraq war!
..I've been reloading certain calibers for years now (45cal, 223, 308 and few others) and even though it's cheaper, those costs are going up now too.

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently moved to Texas and decided to get a gun. Always wanted one. Any suggestions on a starter gun? I need cheap. Mainly for shooting at the range and maybe a break in. I've got 400 to spend on it. Pretty low. Looks like the decent guns are about 1000. I'm thinking about buying a 1911 kit and slowly buying the parts and piece to have a decent gun but I'm looking for something to learn off now. Is a pawn shop a good place to go?

Saw some affordable guns on the Taurus site. Should I go for a revolver or pistol?

woods

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I scored a Llama .45 for 150$ from a friend of mine. Its not the best brand, but it will sure as hell get the job done. It is NOT a c+c gun though. Its too big. I got it for self defence, the day after a psycho broke down my door and pulled a shotgun right out of my hands. Fortunately, here in Reno, guns dont need to be registered at all.
I was talking to an ex-marine a couple nights ago, and he said he liked revolvers better for c+c, because if you pull a semi-auto on someone with military training, they can grab your wrist, and pull the chamber back at the same time, to disable the gun. The only way to do that with a revolver is to jam your finger behind the hammer.
Personally, I think its safer to have a semi-auto, without a round in the chamber, but thats just me.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
woods said:
I
I was talking to an ex-marine a couple nights ago, and he said he liked revolvers better for c+c, because if you pull a semi-auto on someone with military training, they can grab your wrist, and pull the chamber back at the same time, to disable the gun. The only way to do that with a revolver is to jam your finger behind the hammer.
I have to raise the BS flag on this one. While it is true that if you can push the slide back the weapon won't fire, It's not something that should even be a concern unless you're not willing to pull the trigger.

We used to do weapons grappling with 9mm berretas and not once was somebody able to get the slide back on an opponents weapon before they would have been shot.