Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Computer System: Security

sozzz

Don Juan
Reaction score
since 3 days ago was 9/11, i thought that it'd be nice to hear some opinions as to what you guys think about bringing back terminal/mainframe environment. during 9/11 a lot of information were lost and could not be restore. but what if we had used terminal/mainframe environment, would that have done anything as far as online security goes? I dont know much about security stuff but my friends got me interested when I was chilling with them and hearing them talk about terminal/mainframe environment. :)

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The information was "lost". You see, if someone were to delete it, they would be in trouble. But if the documents and data were "lost" and they could "not recollect the events in question" then no one takes the blame. It was a complete accident you see.

You wouldn't believe how many mistakes like this happen and files get "lost". Just read the news. When Bush was leaving the White House, they "lost" so many emails and documents. I blame Microsoft for this problem. If they made a better windows, that didn't crash every 20min the government wouldn't "lose" so much important sh*t. Also, I blame the tech guys. It's always their fault too.

DanelMadr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sozzz said:
since 3 days ago was 9/11, i thought that it'd be nice to hear some opinions as to what you guys think about bringing back terminal/mainframe environment. during 9/11 a lot of information were lost and could not be restore. but what if we had used terminal/mainframe environment, would that have done anything as far as online security goes? I dont know much about security stuff but my friends got me interested when I was chilling with them and hearing them talk about terminal/mainframe environment. :)
It would depend where the mainframe would be stored. Even in Server/Client environment data is stored on the server in most scenarios. So again when the server gets a hit the data is gone. There is a thing called 'off site back up storage' exactly for these disasters. But it is often complicated/more expensive and depends on risks versus benefits. So often neglected. Who would think the whole WTC will go down in rubble.

Mainframe/terminal pros:
- in case of disk-less terminals there is better security since no data can be extracted form the terminals once turned off (there is some remote possibility of someone getting the info from RAM chips but it is extremely difficult/expensive process)
-you don't have to upgrade hardware as often on the terminals
-you don't have to install full operating system on the terminals so the maintenance is easier
-power consumption is lower

cons:
- the mainframe has to be much more powerful/expensive than server since it does most of the math and disk reading and writing for the terminals.
- the applications have to be well programmed and therefore thought trough so the mainframe does not do unnecessary work.
-network has to be more stable and faster since there is continuous heavy traffic between mainframe and terminals (basically the mainframe sends the screens and takes the keystrokes)
- in case the mainframe is down you can do jack **** on the terminal

I'm all for mainframe/terminal but in most businesses there is no solid concept of information management therefore it is better to "flick it" in server/client model, where efficiency (technology) is not a must.

Hope it helps.

Hope it helps.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sozzz said:
How would this "fix" anything? Sloppy system admins will be sloppy on any platform, organized system admins will be organized. This is not a technology problem, don't throw technology solutions at it.