Compound Exercises for muscle growth...

HolyG

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
With the exception of squats, i'm looking for exercises to do in the gym to help stimulate total body growth i.e. the way squats do.

The reason I don't do squats is cause I already naturally store fat in the butt (the rest of the body looks good and defined) and squats would make it even bigger (I tried it out for a few weeks).

I'm doing HIIT to help cut down on body fat. I'm trying out deadlifts and hang cleans, anyone know of any other good exercises?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
More muscle growth + good dietary habits = high metabolic rate, which translates to fat loss. I can understand that you don't want your butt to look too big but should this happen, simply diet and lean down. You can also adjust your stance to emphasize quads more than glutes and hips.

Other compound movements:

- dips
- chin up/pull up
- bench/dumbell bench variations
- shoulder press/shoulder press variations
- powerclean

Of course deadlift and squat variations. These movements both really beat up your prosterior chain and back. Once you're in the range of 2x bodyweight deadlifts for reps you'll have a great back, especially if you're lean.

HolyG

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man....first off thank you. And sorry for the late reply

Could you please elaborate on the stance adjustment to emphasize quads? I think that would be a good idea to try out.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HolyG said:
Could you please elaborate on the stance adjustment to emphasize quads? I think that would be a good idea to try out.
The closer your legs are together the more it works the outside muscles, the ones that 'sweep'. The further your legs are apart the more it works the inside muscles. The ones that pull your legs together near the groin.

Adjust as needed.

talrock

Don Juan
Reaction score
HolyG said:
Hey man....first off thank you. And sorry for the late reply

close, narrow stance squats emphasize and incorporate more quads into the lift. the further out your stance is, the more you involve more of hamstrings and glutes.

you could also try front squats which I found to be a great supplement to regular squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHu4jhUbx9M

i tend to have my grip such that as in this video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVwJsl2AkKs