College interview tomorrow, any quick tips?

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so basically this is my first actual college interview, since im transffering from a community college to this one to finish my bachelors.

The letter said expect to be here (interview site) for few hrs.

So anyway, to be prepared, any quick tips ?

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

Barbillus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Be yourself.

Have good answers prepared to sell yourself.

Why will you fit in this school?
Why are you transferring?
How will the school you are applying to better prepare you for post-college life?

good luck.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch for "sh1t tests"

... like making you wait a very long time (be prepared, and have or figure out some way to make productive use of the waiting time), or something like that. Although such ploys are much more common in job interviews. In academia, they usually play it straight.

Other than that, just play it straight yourself. Bullsh1tting would be the worst thing you could do, not that I'm assuming you would. Just resist the temptation to goose your qualifications too much.

Cappy da pimp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is a college interview really necessary? Im a transfer from a community college as well and I applied and was accepted to 7 of 7 schools. None of which required I have an interview or even write an essay. My best advice would be dress well and be prepared for why you want to attend the institution ie academics and reputation. Good luck.

idiot_boyfriend

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Make a list of three or four good questions to ask your interviewer.

I've never tried this, but i've heard, early on, to ask what they are looking for in a student. That way, you can spend the rest of the time, effectively, answering their questions.

Good luck.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

I was expecting people to be dressed up and stuff, but most of the people there just wore everyday clothes. The only thing different from what i usually wore was a button down shirt and caramel colored shoes.

Actually my interview turned out alright for the most part yesterday.

Unfortunately any form of design major requires a portfolio review of undergraduates or transferring students....which is the category i fall in.

There were 2 interviewers, i had a woman and a man...so it's a double evaluation. I knew my design work was average, so i grabbed my balls and gave it my all. Went through each piece as suave as possible and answered any questtions they had.

The guy was evil and asked critical questions that did throw me off, mainly because i was unprepared to answer them.
at the beginning, he asked "what didnt you like about your old college" and "why would you like to finish your BFA at this college"

I was really at a loss for words, the woman was nice and helped me fill it in. In my college essay, i had an explanation, but i guess when it comes down to quick thinking, it isnt my forte. He also included other questions near the end that threw me off.
the woman on the other hand was really nice about it and liked my pieces.

overall it went alright, and im glad its over. Now just awaiting notification of my acceptance or possible rejection.

Cheiradawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ScrewIt

The guy was evil and asked critical questions that did throw me off, mainly because i was unprepared to answer them.
at the beginning, he asked "what didnt you like about your old college" and "why would you like to finish your BFA at this college"

I was really at a loss for words, the woman was nice and helped me fill it in. In my college essay, i had an explanation, but i guess when it comes down to quick thinking, it isnt my forte. He also included other questions near the end that threw me off.
the woman on the other hand was really nice about it and liked my pieces.

This is the way alot of interviews go for school or the work force. A man will ask questions and expect you to have answers, show direction in your work, and a woman will be nice and judge you after you leave the room.

In general any time you go to an interview for anything they are going to want to know a few things. Frist they are going to want to know why you are interested in what they have. Here you have to know what you want to do and how the position you are interviewing for fits in with what you want to do and how it is the next step for what you have already done.

They will ask about your past and how what you have done in the past has prepaired you for the position you are interviewing for.

You have to think about interviews this way or their questions will seem to come out of left field and you will look like an idiot.