Hmm... Well Freddie I haven't read the thread you speak of, or if I did it was too damn long ago and I just forgot it, but I don't know if you've got the correct approach. I've been a college student for three years now and let me tell you what I do.
I normally sit by them but not right next to them - it seems to send off a desperation vibe or something. I just don't think it's a real good idea. (but if a girl keeps sitting by you or next to you then it's obviously a good thing.) The hand shake is a bad idea. What I reccomend doing is accidently forgetting your pencil or some sh!t and leaning over and asking her for one. During this exchange smile at her, look her in the eye, and make a joke or something like that. Say maybe, "Heh you know, I can remember my notebook, I always buy the right books, and I can even remember to pee before these long a$$ classes, but I never remember a god damn pencil..." If she likes you she'll probably laugh, smile, give you the look. You know what I mean. If you get the good vibe from her, continue the conversation. "What's your major?" "Heh mine too, seeing as this journalism class..." "Where are you from?" "Oh really? I lived out there for a few years..."
After you break this barrier start sitting by her everyday and talking to her. I usually like to have a girl I sit with in everyone of my classes if it is at all possible. Eventually a weekend will roll up that you feel is opportune, ask her what she is doing, tell her YOU MIGHT give her a call if your plans fall through, and if you don't think you're looking to desperate or loserish then call her. Or better yet, wait for a group project to roll up - You should get one assigned fast because professors in college like to give their students a chance to get to know each other. Go over to her apartment or dorm room to do it, wait till her roommate is not there and fvckin let one thing lead to another.
Good luck in college buddy - it's a real fun time. I think the most important thing to remember about the college game is that basically no girl really matters. Don't give a fvck about any of them because there are so damn many...