Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

CM Punk Loses To Mickey In 2 Minutes

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
CM Punk got his a.ss royally kicked tonight. It wasn't even a fight. It went exactly how most people predicted it with Mickey dominating the entire thing and putting Punk away early.

While Punk is getting paid very nicely with this venture due to his "brand name", I think this entire thing looks VERY bad for not just Punk but professional wrestling in general. Punk is nearly 38 years old, never fought before, and is brand spanking new to MMA. Gall, while he only fought professionally 2 times, has been fighting for YEARS in terms of MMA.

I think if Punk tried to come back to WWE later down the line, this is going to hurt his credibility a bit. He's no Brock Lesnar, Lesnar had been involved in shoot fighting/wrestling years prior to his WWE and UFC fighting days.

B

BlueAlpha1

Can't stand Punk. There's a difference between being a rogue/renegade and being a total a-hole. Guy is supposedly the biggest douche ever in real life. Besides Miz he has the most punchable face in wrestling. If you're going to be a total **** at least be Brock Lesnar, one of the legit baddest men on the planet. Punk is a 190 pound guy who is not built that way and clearly out of his league.

In other sports news, Dave Roberts (manager of the LA Dodgers) is getting torched for pulling out Rich Hill in the top of the 8th while he had a perfect game. Not a no hitter, of which there have been 270 in baseball history (an average of 2-3 a year) - a PERFECT GAME of which there have been 23 in baseball's 120+ year history (an average of one every 6-7 years.) This obsession with the 100 pitch count and the total and outright babying of these elite athletes is just appalling and disgraceful. If I were a fan at the game I'd write to the front office asking for a refund and a written apology from the Dodgers organization. America's Pastime is dead in a lot of ways...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless a WWE guy is a former D1 collegiate wrestler like Lesnar, even low level amateur fighters would beat him like that.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is at least real in the sense that the other guy is really trying to break your arm or choke you, and it really hurts when he does. There's just no striking, and often they wear a gi. My trainer's trainer is a former BJJ world champ who coaches BJ Penn. He wanted to be an mma fighter, and not only did he skip the amateur experience to go straight to pro, he told Strikeforce that he wanted to fight only the best. So they introduced him to Jake Shields. The fight was mostly Jake dribbling his head around the ring like a basketball. It wasn't even close. That was his first and last mma fight. BJJ is great, but it's a lot different when you're getting punched in the face.

TheVirtualMind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't stand Punk. There's a difference between being a rogue/renegade and being a total a-hole. Guy is supposedly the biggest douche ever in real life. Besides Miz he has the most punchable face in wrestling. If you're going to be a total **** at least be Brock Lesnar, one of the legit baddest men on the planet. Punk is a 190 pound guy who is not built that way and clearly out of his league.

In other sports news, Dave Roberts (manager of the LA Dodgers) is getting torched for pulling out Rich Hill in the top of the 8th while he had a perfect game. Not a no hitter, of which there have been 270 in baseball history (an average of 2-3 a year) - a PERFECT GAME of which there have been 23 in baseball's 120+ year history (an average of one every 6-7 years.) This obsession with the 100 pitch count and the total and outright babying of these elite athletes is just appalling and disgraceful. If I were a fan at the game I'd write to the front office asking for a refund and a written apology from the Dodgers organization. America's Pastime is dead in a lot of ways...
Punk is supposedly a douche in real life, but Miz is apparently a really great guy in real life. Punk had no business being in there last night. He kept pushing this back for 2 years and still did not look ready at all.

As far as the Rich Hill situation, it wasn't so much pitch count. Hill had a pretty bad blistering that was getting worse during the game. Roberts was screwed. Take Hill out for his health and to try to have him healthy for a stretch run in the playoffs, while risking losing a perfect game...Or leave him in and possibly have the blister pop and lose him for several weeks or longer, depending on how it heals.

B

BlueAlpha1

Punk is supposedly a douche in real life, but Miz is apparently a really great guy in real life. Punk had no business being in there last night. He kept pushing this back for 2 years and still did not look ready at all.

As far as the Rich Hill situation, it wasn't so much pitch count. Hill had a pretty bad blistering that was getting worse during the game. Roberts was screwed. Take Hill out for his health and to try to have him healthy for a stretch run in the playoffs, while risking losing a perfect game...Or leave him in and possibly have the blister pop and lose him for several weeks or longer, depending on how it heals.
I read Miz is a backstage tool and never got over that frat-boy gimmick he broke in with.

And I respectfully disagree on the PG. You simply don't take a pitcher out with a perfect game. Ever. It's never been done before this after the 6th inning. Rich Hill is in his mid-thirties. His career is almost over, and he would have let that blister pop, sealed the wound with styptic pencil and gauze in between innings to stay in that game. Now if the Dodgers win the World Series and Rich Hill is the winning pitcher in the deciding game, I will revert to this thread and admit that those 35 extra pitches might have made the difference. Unless it comes down to this, most baseball fans are convinced. And yet you could STILL make the argument that a perfect game means more than a World Series. Would you rather be at the game in which your team wins the World Series, or see a perfect game in person? For me that's a tough call.

A perfect game could be the deciding factor in an average pitcher getting in the HOF or not. A perfect game means statues are built and enshrined in that ballpark for people to gawk at during a tour. Roberts' compromised Rich Hill's legacy. At least let him START the 8th for chrissake.

I personally saw a no-hitter at Citi Field thrown by Johan Santana in 2012 - it was though the Mets had won a championship in that building. And a perfect game is 10x more rare.

TheVirtualMind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read Miz is a backstage tool and never got over that frat-boy gimmick he broke in with.

And I respectfully disagree on the PG. You simply don't take a pitcher out with a perfect game. Ever. It's never been done before this after the 6th inning. Rich Hill is in his mid-thirties. His career is almost over, and he would have let that blister pop, sealed the wound with styptic pencil and gauze in between innings to stay in that game. Now if the Dodgers win the World Series and Rich Hill is the winning pitcher in the deciding game, I will revert to this thread and admit that those 35 extra pitches might have made the difference. Unless it comes down to this, most baseball fans are convinced. And yet you could STILL make the argument that a perfect game means more than a World Series. Would you rather be at the game in which your team wins the World Series, or see a perfect game in person? For me that's a tough call.

A perfect game could be the deciding factor in an average pitcher getting in the HOF or not. A perfect game means statues are built and enshrined in that ballpark for people to gawk at during a tour. Roberts' compromised Rich Hill's legacy. At least let him START the 8th for chrissake.

I personally saw a no-hitter at Citi Field thrown by Johan Santana in 2012 - it was though the Mets had won a championship in that building. And a perfect game is 10x more rare.
All this is true. That's why I said, the manager was screwed either way. Now, if Hill gets taken out and then Blanton (and possibly more in the bullpen) hold the Rockies for the rest of the game and it is now the first "official" combined perfect game in history, is it still up for question?

While Hill could do that if the blister popped, would he have still been able to have command of his pitches? Pitching with a blister hurts. Now, if it is popped and you now have it leaking, or even the styptic pencil and dabbing it with gauze to heal it, you still can't put the same pressure on and it could still get worse.

I would have loved for Hill to get the perfect game. Just like Dallas Braden and Phillip Humber, Hill isn't going to the Hall of Fame based on the perfect game. He would have his name on a plaque, a few momentos there, and some sign in the stadium. It's still a once in a lifetime experience. But the manager and training staff has more info that we probably do. Managers don't have it easy.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Punk's problem is that he's 37 years old. You can't learn a sport at that old an age and expect to play it at a professional level.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Punk's problem is that he's 37 years old. You can't learn a sport at that old an age and expect to play it at a professional level.
I completely agree. Plus Mickey is a brown belt on the way to a black belt, while Punk is still a damn white belt even after 2 years of "training". There's just no way in hell Punk was going to win that fight, nevertheless make it pass the first round. Literally, what skills did Punk have to lean on?

If Punk were serious about this, he would have went through the amateur levels, got experience, then fought his way up to the pros. But the reality is that the guy is 37, pro wrestling took a toil on his body, and he just wasn't going to work up the amateur levels like that.

This entire Punk fiasco with the UFC was strictly to make money and get pay-per-view buys off CM Punk's brand name from the WWE. Folks online are giving Punk praise for having "had the balls to try" but the entire thing was just completely stupid. Punk should have taken TIME OFF of pro wrestling, got his body healed, and came back to WWE on a part-time schedule like John Cena, Brock Lesnar, etc. are working now.

If he fights another MMA fight (pro or amateur) he's completely stupid because at this point, he won't even be able to make money off his brand name anymore within MMA due to his performance. His performance was completely horrible and had NO business being anywhere near a "professional" fighting environment.

B

BlueAlpha1

I completely agree. Plus Mickey is a brown belt on the way to a black belt, while Punk is still a damn white belt even after 2 years of "training". There's just no way in hell Punk was going to win that fight, nevertheless make it pass the first round. Literally, what skills did Punk have to lean on?

If Punk were serious about this, he would have went through the amateur levels, got experience, then fought his way up to the pros. But the reality is that the guy is 37, pro wrestling took a toil on his body, and he just wasn't going to work up the amateur levels like that.

This entire Punk fiasco with the UFC was strictly to make money and get pay-per-view buys off CM Punk's brand name from the WWE. Folks online are giving Punk praise for having "had the balls to try" but the entire thing was just completely stupid. Punk should have taken TIME OFF of pro wrestling, got his body healed, and came back to WWE on a part-time schedule like John Cena, Brock Lesnar, etc. are working now.

If he fights another MMA fight (pro or amateur) he's completely stupid because at this point, he won't even be able to make money off his brand name anymore within MMA due to his performance. His performance was completely horrible and had NO business being anywhere near a "professional" fighting environment.
He'll do at least one more fight against some fat jobber (like Batista did). Brock Lesnar lost to Frank Mir in embarrassing fashion in his first fight, but rebounded after that to become champion. Punk will get one more shot, but if it goes anything like the first one, his brand and likeness is done. He'll go to Japan for a year, realize it's horrible, try TNA and realize that's even worse, and within 18 months he'll be begging WWE to take him back. Because by then he'll be 39 and what could be possibly do after all this?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly I felt bad for him seeing him lose like that. But, his expectations were unrealistic and I saw this coming. A 38 year old guy with no martial arts or college wrestling background, who started training 2 years ago (and was out for back surgery last year), STARTING at the highest level of MMA is just a recipe for disaster.

I like Punk, think he's a stand up dude, but he needs to be fighting at the amateur regional level, with guys of his own skill level. It takes years to get proficient at any martial art.

Brock Lesnar is an outlier in that 1) he is a freak physical specimen, and 2) was the NCAA wrestling national champ.

Bobby Lashley had a rough start but is now 14-2 in the mid-level promotions.

Punk got the UFC contract because he is a PPV draw, obviously, and I think he has balls for taking it. But he is just outclassed. And to be fair, Mickey Gall is actually really good. I've seen his training videos, he's not some bum. He has a future.

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having a fight career is all about how many tickets/PPV you can sell. At a local level, if one guy has a hundred friends who will buy tickets and another guy has no friends, the first one gets to fight, and probably gets an easy fight, too. If the promoter lets him get beat up, he won't want to fight again, and those ticket sales will be lost.

So Punk might have one more UFC fight, and even after that, Bellator or Glory would give him a shot.

Glory kickboxing is pretty decent, if anyone watches it. I know a guy who fought for my company's promotion as an amateur. He got railroaded by the UFC into being a chump match for his first two fights. That happens when you are an outsider trying to break into the UFC. They decide who they want to look good, and those favorite fighters tend to get fed easy fights. The UFC fired him after two losses, but then he went to Glory, and is having a great career there. The guy was quarterback of the football team in college, and not a wrestler, so he was always at a grappling disadvantage when trying to fight former college wrestlers.

Grappling is the most boring part of the UFC. Glory follows the K1 kickboxing rules, which do allow throws, trips, and sweeps, but just don't award points for them. Prior to the UFC, there was a guy who trademarked the term "shoot fighting." It's like mma, except when you take the other guy down, you only get about 3-5 seconds of nothing happening before the ref stands up both fighters. I think that would make a much more exciting fight than the current UFC rules.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...m-acquires-significant-stake-glory-kickboxing
Yao Ming's firm acquires significant stake in Glory Kickboxing

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having a fight career is all about how many tickets/PPV you can sell.
Totally true. "Deserve" isnt a huge factor when it comes to fight bookings. There are plenty of deserving fighters who dont get title shots or who get railroaded to make way for big-ticket draws.

It's unfortunate that the UFC favors stand up so much. I get it from an entertainment perspective, but it isnt pure martial arts. I think adopting Pride rules would go a long way to making fights more explosive and exciting, but doubt the NSAC would ever sign off on that.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If Punk were serious about this, he would have went through the amateur levels, got experience, then fought his way up to the pros.
Yeah, look at Tim Tebow. He wants to be a baseball player. At least he played the game when he was younger. But he's still not starting in the major leagues, he's starting in the minors, actually in an instructional league. If Punk had tried to work his way up, at least he'd be facing opponents at more his skill level.

I'm a little surprised Dana White didn't put him up against someone much greener (although Gall had only had one UFC fight when he called out Punk). As you say, Punk's name had value to draw in PPV buys. Seems like letting him get slaughtered would damage that value, but I guess what are you going to do?

I agree that if he gets beaten like this again, it may even damage his value as a pro wrestler. He's been exposed, and wrestling crowds might have a hard time buying him as a legitimate bad@ss after this.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dana White has said he wouldn't give him a second chance. Only reason he got a chance was because of his name. People bought this PPV to see CM Punk and it's evident because he got paid 500k just for that 2 minute fight. I got respect for CM Punk but he bit off more hen he could chew. I could've went in that ring and had a more competitive match. You don't just bum rush people in the UfC, especially when your the inexperienced guy. That's just common sense.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
he got paid 500k just for that 2 minute fight.

The guys on the UFC undercard, by comparison, typically make $3-5k. A local pro is doing well to make $1k per fight, and only heavyweights get that much. Those numbers are not even close to being enough to pay for a serious injury if they get hurt.

The UFC is the only major sport without a player's union. The uniform deal with Reebok screwed the fighters badly. The sport is due for a union, but the UFC ownership is going to fight it.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People bought this PPV to see CM Punk and it's evident because he got paid 500k just for that 2 minute fight.
Punk said after the fight it was the second happiest day of his life, second only to his wedding. I thought that he would probably change his mind on that as time went on (even if he doesn't admit it), because he got humiliated. However, now that you mention that he got $500,000 for less than a round, I can see why he might be so happy :)