clothes

TheEnergizer

Don Juan
Reaction score
so only 3 more days of school left until summer!! whoo! i'm gonna be a junior next year, i'm psyched.

now over the summer i'm planning a minor physical makeover, buy some new clothes, cut my hair really short just to see all the stages of length it goes through and find out what fits best, and so on. i'm just wondering if you guys know anything about fashion and what kind of clothes to wear.

all my life ive always just been plain in what i wore. a t-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes, with the only variation being the design on my shirt, or if its winter i wear my zip up hoodie.

this year i wanna buy some new stuff, and change my look up. i'm thinking about buying some polos, different types of pants, maybe even a vest or cardigan or something like that. i dunno, as of right now i know pretty much nothing about fashion. but you know what they say, "the clothes make the man".

so im just looking for some advice on what clothes i should buy, what style i should go with, how much will it cost to have enough variety so that i can regularly wear fancy clothes, etc. nothing too fancy, just you know like along the lines of polos and stuff like that, whatever looks nice that isnt a t-shirt and jeans but also nothing too overt that could nominate me for 'fashionisto' of the year or something.

posting pictures would be great, and id also like to know what you guys wear and some background information on that. if you want me to describe myself and my personality i can do that.... not right now though cuz im too tired. just ask if you need to know anything.

also... are shoulderbags/manpurses/satchels gay for guys in high school? im talking about the ones that hang by your waist and wrap around your opposite shoulder with the strap that goes across your chest and back. i thought it might add some unique style or something and i actually have seen some guys using them and never thought it was gay at all, in fact i kinda like them. take the blonde guy from house for example if you watch that show, hes always stylish and has one of those; heres a picture

http://www.housemd-guide.com/season4/4images/403chase-cameron.jpg

i also really like that jacket hes wearing as well, i wanna get one like that. thats an example of the kinda look im going for, just stuff like a dress shirt under a vest and jacket, polos and t-shirts for the summer, etc. is there anyone on here in high school that pulls that off on a daily basis? what do you guys wear?

Master Cheif

Don Juan
Reaction score
shoulderbags/manpurses/satchels

absolutley gay .

im definatley no fasionista, but if you can rock a leather jacket, id get one

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
www.kinowear.com

Brilliant site for giving you a kick start into fashion, you'll avoid a lot of mistakes and save ALOT of money by applying the advice. But generally, make sure your clothes fit well, so try and go for slim fit shirts and boot cut trousers.

Also satchels are kick ass! Not gay at all. A nice black leather one will go really well with a suit.

Here's a good list of things to start with in your wardrobe:
1 leather jacket (smart casual)
1 jacket (smart casual/casual)
T-shirts and polos: White, black, grey, plain colours, maybe a few with patterns, designs just for flair
1 dark blue jeans
1 Black jeans (Rule of thumb: The darker the jeans the smarter the occasion, the lighter, the more casual)
1 Blue jeans
Shirts: Blue and Red with chequered patterns always look good
Black dress shoes
White flat sole trainers
Maybe some casual black plimsols, or some brown shoes
A good fitting hoodie
Jumpers you can wear over shirts, or t shirts (navy is a good colour)
Brown, black and a casual lighter coloured belt

OamImrsNemo

Don Juan
Reaction score

absolutley gay .
Definantly! haha.

I wear Rocka wear. American eagle , Postle, polo, Dress shirts, Go to like a nordstrom warehouse. They have some cool **** and then go to a thrift store and just mix an match. I have Kind of my own unique style.

But look at what alot of different people wear then mix and match to your own style....

eaglez1177

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Master Cheif said:

absolutley gay .

im definatley no fasionista, but if you can rock a leather jacket, id get one
Indian Jones wears a satchel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree on the messenger bags, I think they lend you a really edgy indie-rocker look if you pull it off right.

Leather jackets...ehh I don't think anyone can pull it off unless you're the really hardcore tough guy type.

Everything you wear has to be comfortable and familiar to you, it needs to have character. You need to look like its the way you've been dressing for years. Its also got to stand out in some way; if everyone at your school wears gaudy, bright colors, go for something a bit more mature and toned down. If everybody is dressing monotone, go for some color.

Me personally: slim fit dress shirt, tucked in, sleeves rolled up. Black canvas belt. dark, slim dress pants. Black converse slip-ons. Small, shiny watch. (I'm a little bit on the dressy side haha)

STUFF :
1. Vertical stripes make you look taller, slimmer. Horizontal makes you look wider. Pick according to your body shape

2. No stripes with stripes or plaid with plaid. You'll look like an optical illusion. There ARE exceptions though, but I don't feel qualified enough to elaborate.

3. If you decide to wear an untucked dress shirt, make sure the bottom doesn't drop past your waist. If it covers your crotch or your bum (or god forbid, drops down even lower than that), you'll look REALLY sloppy.

4. If you wear one, make sure your belt and shoes match. Girls notice this stuff.

5. Your dressyness should be congruent. I/e, don't wear sneakers with a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt. Dress shirts over jeans and sneakers is the exception. This goes for accessories too. If you're dressed down, don't wear a fancy watch; if you're dressed up, don't wear one of those crappy plastic sport watches. Go all out, don't halfass it.

6. Get a good, clean haircut, and have it trimmed regularly. Don't be the guy that waits until his hair is ridiculously long before he gets it cut.

GQ also has some good stuff to look at. What they recommend is usually extremely expensive though, so just go get the cheaper lookalikes. You don't need to look dressed up all the time. Just dress like you know what you're doing and you're not having your mom pick out your clothes for you :)

EDIT: depends on where you live I think, but around here (northeast), nay on the boot cut pants. normal or slim is the way to go; make sure they don't bunch up near the bottom.

Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
www.kinowear.com

Brilliant site for giving you a kick start into fashion, you'll avoid a lot of mistakes and save ALOT of money by applying the advice. But generally, make sure your clothes fit well, so try and go for slim fit shirts and boot cut trousers.

Also satchels are kick ass! Not gay at all. A nice black leather one will go really well with a suit.

Here's a good list of things to start with in your wardrobe:
1 leather jacket (smart casual)
1 jacket (smart casual/casual)
T-shirts and polos: White, black, grey, plain colours, maybe a few with patterns, designs just for flair
1 dark blue jeans
1 Black jeans (Rule of thumb: The darker the jeans the smarter the occasion, the lighter, the more casual)
1 Blue jeans
Shirts: Blue and Red with chequered patterns always look good
Black dress shoes
White flat sole trainers
Maybe some casual black plimsols, or some brown shoes
A good fitting hoodie
Jumpers you can wear over shirts, or t shirts (navy is a good colour)
Brown, black and a casual lighter coloured belt
Thank you for mentioning www.kinowear.com !

It's a shame that the authors stopped writing, but at least they kept the articles online.

Take a chance and take their advice on there. It really helped me out quite a bit

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
808 said:
Thank you for mentioning www.kinowear.com !

It's a shame that the authors stopped writing, but at least they kept the articles online.

Take a chance and take their advice on there. It really helped me out quite a bit
Their lookbooks are brilliant, gives you a real good idea on how to put an outfit together.

TheEnergizer

Don Juan
Reaction score
agreed, thanks so much for posting that website, lots of great information on there. also thanks guys for the advice and tips on clothing, great stuff, i'll definitely keep this in mind.

and yes, indiana jones does wear a satchel. lol the hangover. hey, at least everyone who agreed they are cool didn't spell definitely incorrectly :p perhaps they are for the more intelligent?

BananaSmile

Don Juan
Reaction score
hahah wtf?
manpurses are awsome (just it looks gay if your wearing baggy jeans and a looose tshirt, or a cotton satchet with a leather jacket.)

nothing is really gay
if you know how to wear it

(maybe skinny jeans,unless ur in band dont wear it)

i have 4 categories

sport- Shorts, addidas (nb,puma or nike) shirts and pants sweats hoodies
casual- jeans and (T) shirts + leather jacket(althou i never had one its in this category)
formal - blackpants+tie+ shirt+ black shoes

some items overlap
i would wear the casual clothes to school mostly t-shirts or maybe lumberjack shirts but thats just me and you should consider clothes that match you,your neighbourhood and your style.