clothes: color, size, etc...

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(note for the moderators: i know that this has been discussed sometimes before, but i want a thread where all this stuff is put together, so people don't have to look for hundreds of different threads to find informations. i think you shouldn't close this one)

How do you choose your clothes' color? Do you match them with your skin, your eyes, your hair, all of them? Does height and build matter in choosing the color of your clothes?

What's the ideal size in your opinion? How do you recognize it? Should short-sleeves be tight to your arms or should they hang a little? How much?

Do you pop up your polo's collar? Do you tuck your t-shirts in? What about your shirts?

Answer one question, more than one, even all of them if you wish, but contribute to this thread

Marf

Don Juan
Reaction score
seriously... if you want to know what fits you, you should see a proffesional stylist.
Just go there once, it can really help you out.

Schlep

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
Do you pop up your polo's collar? Do you tuck your t-shirts in? What about your shirts?
Most of what you asked seems to be common sense. I f'n hate collar poppers, so I wanted to get that in there. It didn't look good in the 80's, and it doesn't look good now, either. Please don't tuck t-shirts in, it looks ridiculous and makes you look 40. No offense to any 40 year olds...

I usually go shopping with a girl friend, so she can give some input. I generally know what does and doesn't work, but it's nice to have an extra opinion.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: clothes: color, size, etc...

If you're built, a t-shirt will naturally be tight. But having a tight t-shirt otherwise will probably make you look gay (at least in the U.S.).

For the rest, Schlep is right, bring a girl and ask for her opinion now and then. If she gets a creepy look when you show her something, well, you've just learned what to avoid.

Of course, I hate shopping and girls love it. I find it best to know exactly what you want before you get to the store (and make sure she knows too). You'll save a lot of time.

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like my shirts to fit loose, even though medium fits me OK, I prefer the shirt to fit loose because the air ventilates better and feels more comfortable, especially during this time of year when it's warm. I wear my t shirts tucked in with jeans but not with shorts.

I dress according to my physical appearance, since I have a full face, I like v-necks because it will make your face and neck appear longer, I avoid turtle necks because of my short neck and round face.

yes, you need to choose your clothing for your body type and hair color.

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its all about the button down shirts for me, I mean I wear t-shirts or maybe a pullover golf-type casual shirt, but if you want to look good, then work out your upper body and forearms, get a button down shirt, leave the top 2 buttons undone, with a wife beater underneath, rioll up the sleeves especially if you have good forearms. Try to get shirts that dont have more than 2 colors, and try to avoid very small designs, medium to large sections, so avoid small plaid. Just wear things that match, get a nice watch, maybe a nice casual necklace, not something that is huge, and try to get a I just got off work, so now I am trying to look casual attitude about you clothes. If you are even a little bit built, of at least in good shape, then spend a few extra bucks and get a tappered cause dress shirt, also called fitted, its basically a dress shirt that is made wide at the top, tappers down around your middle torso, and widens back to regular size near the bottom, to give a much firmer, more slimming appearance. Also you should always try to wear darkpants, unless you are super skinny, cause dark paints give a slimming affect.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aight, I'll try to answer your questions.

How do you choose your clothes' color?

Simple. I'll try it on to see if it matches my skin color. I'm dark skinned so that gives me more options for colors. I personally prefer wearing blues or earth tones but I'll sport something bright every now and then.

Do you match them with your skin, your eyes, your hair, all of them?

Just my skin only. Matching clothes with my hair/eyes is not an issue for me.

Does height and build matter in choosing the color of your clothes?

I think it matters more in choosing what fit you want more than what color you want. If you weight 400 pounds, maybe bright colors won't be what you want. Personally, due to my build, I try to find long sleeve shirts that are more fitted so that they taper around the waist. They look a little more clean.

What's the ideal size in your opinion? How do you recognize it?

My ideal size is simple. Does it fit? I'm 6'3" with a 37in sleeve so sometimes XL doesn't fit me.

Should short-sleeves be tight to your arms or should they hang a little? How much?

If you're swole, then you can wear them tighter. If you're skinny, you may want them to fit a little looser. Personally I prefer a loose fit for T-shirts, as I sport them with baggy jeans or cargos, usually XXL. I often sport short sleeve button ups and I never tuck those in.

Do you pop up your polo's collar?

Are you Kanye West? Otherwise don't, you'll look silly.

Do you tuck your t-shirts in?

No. I wear t-shirts with jeans or shorts.

What about your shirts?

If it's a dress shirt for work, I tuck it in. If it's a night out, depending on the type of shirt, I'll tuck it in or untuck it, depending on the style. Dress shirts that you wear to the office tend to be a little long so it looks sort of sloppy if you untuck them with slacks. Those trendy style button downs you always see people sportin you generally leave those untucked.

Like everyone else said, if you're completely clueless, go shopping with someone that is fashion concious. A female opinion is also good (although don't trust female salespeople's opinions, she just wants to sell you something. Instead if you must, ask a female shopper's opinion. You will more likely get an honest answer).

escobar04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I ain't no Kanye West but he's def. one of my top three favorite rappers during these days of those idiots from the South

so therefore I always pop my collar

just can't help it

I'm a ****y and arrogant fella so it works for me

I'm also a loyal Brand Jordan typa guy so my kicks speak for themselves