Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Chest pains while running

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I don't have access to a gym, the last few days I've started running once every day or two. My cardio-vascular system is out of shape so I can't go for more than about 30 minutes with breaks walking in between, but I've found that what's stopping me from going for longer is that when I start breathing in more deeply, my chest hurts. It feels like it's on my ribs, and its a dull pain that becomes sharper as I breath harder and go for longer. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, what causes it, how to fix it, etc?

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're out of shape. Simple as that. Not sure of the science of all of that, but it will fade the more running you do over time.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah when I was fat that happened. It also happens if I start off too fast. Start off with a 5-10 minute warm-up then increase your speed. gradually improve your start time, but the keyt is to start off slow.

Reaction score
If you tell me HOW you run, I can give you a few pointers.

Chest pains, stitches, growing pains, and of course endurance, can be tied to your breathing.

The most common running mistake is breathing on the wrong step. Your body has been trained, breathing on your current step is an evolutionary human tactic. Correlating your repititions with your step allows the process to become a reflex.

Next time you run try to breath in when you land on your left foot, instead of your right.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I do long runs, I generally tried to keep my breathing as so.

Inhale for 4 steps. Exhale for 4 steps.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's called stitch, happens if you drink/eat a short time before running. Also could be because you're not in good shape and go in too fast for youyr fitness.

wunnaBsmooth

Don Juan
Reaction score
These guys are probably right

Not to scare you, but it could be exercise induced azthma too.
The other posters are probably more educated than I am in this, but I read some articles a few weeks ago about it. It happens to me too, but I'm relatively certain my cardio system isn't as clean as it should be,..........lol

If it really worries you, see your doctor and ask him about it.....

Reaction score
wunnaBsmooth said:
but I read some articles a few weeks ago about it. It happens to me too...
That's the hypochondriac in you talking;) We all do it though, no worries.

Been running for years, switching it up between long distance, and all out sprinting endurance.

I've gotten pains from my neck all the way down to the tips of my toes. THe problems range from shoes, to tensing your jaw when you run.

I'd say, if ANYTHING, a new runner is feeling pains in his chest when he begins to run again due to lung/diaphragm expansion...

To alleviate most chest pains due to exapansion you only need to switch your feet. Your internal organs aren't symmetrically aligned inside of your body. Your liver, esophogus/stomach, and you heart all rest on the same side of your body. For the same reason you should sleep on the left side of your body, so should you breath on it...

OfficeSpace

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bro, I had the exact same problem a while ago, but it's solved now. Whenever I run, I run on an empty stomach and I don't drink a lot of water.. Just a little sip to keep my mouth a little moist.. If I run with any food in my stomach, I will almost surely get aches when jogging and I will need to walk it off and the pain will just come back when I start running again.

Now I can run like hell for a full 45 mins in a basketball game without ever having any pain in the rib area. So don't eat or drink before running.. Run on an empty stomach and just sip some water.. don't really drink a lot! It'll slow you down and it'll lead to pain.

Freddy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nocturnal said:
Since I don't have access to a gym, the last few days I've started running once every day or two. My cardio-vascular system is out of shape so I can't go for more than about 30 minutes with breaks walking in between, but I've found that what's stopping me from going for longer is that when I start breathing in more deeply, my chest hurts. It feels like it's on my ribs, and its a dull pain that becomes sharper as I breath harder and go for longer. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, what causes it, how to fix it, etc?
Above anything else I would get advice from your medical doctor.

seriously! Go get yourself checked up.
Its probabvly nothing serious but aways err on the side of caution.