"Cheat Your Way Thin": fad or not?

wiggamonkey

Don Juan
Reaction score
I came across a program called "Cheat Your Way Thin" (www.cheatyourwaythin.com) that proposes an interesting way of losing weight: having a normal diet with intermittent "cheating" to trick your body into increasing its metabolism. I know what you're all thinking, and I thought the same thing until I gave the website a fair read. The ideas don't sound entirely nonsensical. Then again, I'm not an expert. I'd like to see what you all think before I make a potentially stupid purchase.

Here is the idea behind the program, in a nutshell:

-- Normal, sustained "caloric-restriction" diets cause the body to go into starvation mode and thus burn fewer calories

-- To counter this process, you should "trick" your body now and then by increasing your caloric intake (they emphatically talk about chowing down on pizza, ice cream, donuts, or whatever your food of choice may be). The idea is that your body will respond by getting out of "starvation mode" and metabolizing faster. I REPEAT: you only do this INTERMITTENTLY-- the diet is not a sustained, unhealthy, junk food binge.

-- This, in turn, causes you to lose even MORE fat once you cycle back to a lighter caloric load with healthier foods such as fruits, veggies, and fibrous carbs

-- This diet, supplimented with regular exercise, equals rapid fat loss.

Should I listen to any of this? One the one hand, there is a huge "too-good-to-be-true" component in this whole thing that makes my "scam" radar go off.

On the other hand, the ideas behind the diet aren't entirely illogical. (What I am about to say might not be entirely correct, so feel free to correct any of it). It's premised on the idea that the amount of energy you consume and when you consume it affects the speed of your metabolism. To illustrate this, think of the "six-small-meal" plan that dieters often go on to speed up their metabolsim. The whole idea operates on the idea that your metabolism increases every time you eat and decreases when you don't eat. That's why it is a terrible idea to starve yourself to death all day and THEN pig out-- you'll be consuming a lot of calories that your body will metabolize much more slowly. In a way, manipulating the timing of your meals is similar to manipulating the sequence of how many calories you consume. Both have an impact on the speed of your metabolism. So, from this (possibly correct) perspective, this diet makes sense.

Another thing that makes me think that this COULD work is that it's endorsed by someone who has a lot of credibility in my eyes. He is a fitness expert named Anthony Ellis who has written several e-books on gaining mass. I actually had tremendous success with his program (22 lbs of muscle (NOT FAT) in 3 months). Anthony knows what he's talking about, but I am too jaded to dismiss the idea of a big name in fitness taking money to endorse someone else's product.

I cannot make up my mind and I'd love to hear some more thoughts before I make a potentially ridiculous purchase.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Eating junk is just that - you're eating junk.

Another problem is that with these diets you are consuming far more than you burn. The food is high in sugar, saturated and even trans fats, both very bad for your heart and will cause energy swings.

Stay on it too long and you can say hello to heart problems.

I'd stick with the tried way => 6 meals a day - works on the same principle as getting your body out of starvation mode = burn more fat (which is designed to protect the body)

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What Flyer said.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The fact that you're considering this knowing full well how bad it is, makes me feel sorry for you.

Stick to a proper diet, and reduce the calories. You don't need factory processed, nutrient lacking (but high calorie) foods to lose weight. That's how you GAIN weight, and other cardiovascular problems.

Anyways, good luck with you ice cream and sugar diet. LOL.

After you destroy your physique, consider reading stuff by sports nutritionist Lyle McDonald: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

wiggamonkey

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, guys.

HOWEVER, Alle_Gory, I really don't appreciate your rudeness. I understand that my point of view on the diet might come accross as naive, but "I feel sorry for you" and "after you destroy your physique" are just condescending and unwarranted. Don't take a chance to insult someone just because it's there.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
He's right, it's incredibly daft that you're even considering this. Whatever happened to a bit of hard work and sensible eating in order to lose weight? How come, even with all these fad diets and such, it's still the best way to lose weight?

Lyle McDonald is one of the world's best sports nutritionists. Seriously, read his stuff.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wiggamonkey said:
HOWEVER, Alle_Gory, I really don't appreciate your rudeness. I understand that my point of view on the diet might come accross as naive, but "I feel sorry for you" and "after you destroy your physique" are just condescending and unwarranted. Don't take a chance to insult someone just because it's there.
You're attempting the worst diet idea I've ever heard (worse than the grapefruit diet), and you expect me to take you seriously. LOL.

I really DO feel sorry for you because you're so gullible, and you WILL destroy your physique on this 'diet'.

+ What Smack said.

wiggamonkey

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
You're attempting the worst diet idea I've ever heard (worse than the grapefruit diet), and you expect me to take you seriously. LOL.

I really DO feel sorry for you because you're so gullible, and you WILL destroy your physique on this 'diet'.

+ What Smack said.
I never said that I was going to try the diet, nor did I take a position as to whether or not it would work. I merely wanted opinions from people. Yours happened to be delivered quite rudely.

I never questioned that you meant what you said by saying you "feel sorry for me." I'm just saying that it was very condescending and uncalled for. It's okay with me if you think the diet is a pile of crap. In fact, I solicited opinions on the diet. Notice how I did not solicit opinions on ME. You're entitled to THINK (notice how I say THINK, not say) I'm dumb as a brick for simply WONDERING whether the diet would work, but as long as I don't ask for your opinions of ME, don't give them to me.

Last edited:

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The idea behind this diet is just a way to allow you to cheat a bit more by playing with the diet, which people want. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but definitely doesn't work better than a 4-6 meal diet plan with no junk food and a proper amount of calories, lifting, and cardio.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wiggamonkey said:
I never said that I was going to try the diet, nor did I take a position as to whether or not it would work. I merely wanted opinions from people. Yours happened to be delivered quite rudely.

I never questioned that you meant what you said by saying you "feel sorry for me." I'm just saying that it was very condescending and uncalled for. It's okay with me if you think the diet is a pile of crap. In fact, I solicited opinions on the diet. Notice how I did not solicit opinions on ME. You're entitled to THINK (notice how I say THINK, not say) I'm dumb as a brick for simply WONDERING whether the diet would work, but as long as I don't ask for your opinions of ME, don't give them to me.
OK, I apologise, I misread your post.

My opinion is the diet is total crap.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wiggamonkey said:

Looks like we both agree I am an a55hole. Yes, I do think you're dumb as a brick, for nutrition at least. That's why I gave you the link to Lyle McDonald's site. He's one of the best. You can also try Dr.John Berardi: http://www.johnberardi.com/

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I fail to see how eating junk food for several weeks will kill a physique and cause long term cardiovascular problems.

Did anyone even read the website because it sure as hell doesn't say "eat junk all the time."

You never heard of a "carb up" on a timed carb diet? No one seems to be dying from those.

Eating junk during planned time periods curbs cravings.

Calorie cycling is a normal dieting technique. I know iron addict recommends not dieting for longer than 12-16 weeks in order to return the metabolism to normal levels after low calories for so long. Then dieting again after a few weeks if need be.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Did anyone even read the website because it sure as hell doesn't say "eat junk all the time."

You never heard of a "carb up" on a timed carb diet? No one seems to be dying from those.
Have you read these diets? Nobody in their right mind suggests pizza donuts and ice cream to "carb up". You'll usually see suggestions like pasta and fruits instead. These also reduce the hunger pangs with dieting because they are lower GI and higher in fiber. You don't feel as hungry, and overall don't eat as much.

The author is clearly trying to make a quick buck off the lazy masses, who are desperately looking for someone to tell them what they want to hear. But there is no such thing as a shortcut.

Eating junk during planned time periods curbs cravings.
If you're addicted to the junk in junk food, then maybe.

Calorie cycling is a normal dieting technique. I know iron addict recommends not dieting for longer than 12-16 weeks in order to return the metabolism to normal levels after low calories for so long. Then dieting again after a few weeks if need be.
This I completely agree with.

Question for you. What is a "whole food". I keep seeing this term thrown around.

Last edited:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Question for you. What is a "whole food". I keep seeing this term thrown around.
typically people mean by this "minimally processed ingredients"

so fresh & frozen fruits & veggies, unprocessed meat and fish. some people would include unpolished grains and/or raw milk.

under a slightly looser rubric, i would include traditionally processed ingredients: for example, pre-20th century cheeses but not "processed cheeses" (e.g. American, Velveeta) and cold-pressed oils but not solvent-extracted oils.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Have you read these diets? Nobody in their right mind suggests pizza donuts and ice cream to "carb up". You'll usually see suggestions like pasta and fruits instead.
Why is pasta better than the other three things? It's still high GI.

Yeah, i see suggestions of eat whatever carbs you want on a carb up. I've seen people who pig out on a cereal like fruity pebbles.

Dante from DC training i've seen recommend that if you're going to cheat and have a cookie go ahead and eat them all and kill the craving since after eating so many cookies you won't really want any for a long time.

I don't know why fruit should be recommended specially as its carb up function is limited by half of its sugar being fructose.

The point is to maintain your sanity. It's a lot easier to stick to a diet all week if you can look forward to eating junk food on the weekend. On thursday morning when you're craving ice cream you can think "just wait till saturday you can do it" rather than "you can't have it --- EVER!!"

I somehow managed to eat a few entire pizzas while losing 25 lbs with hardly any cardio in a few months. And i don't even do diets like that. I just completely randomly decide i'm going to eat some carbs every once in a while on top of the carbs i have for one meal only postworkout.

This heavily structured stuff is for the birds. You generally meet 90% of what you should be doing and everything will still work out. It's not like most of us are trying to shred our way down to 5% bf from 8%. All it takes is a little sense along the way and not retardedly overdo anything.

Here's a quote from Lyle McDonald

Anyone who has read both "The Anabolic Diet" (AD) by Dr. Mauro DiPasquale and "Bodyopus" (BO) by Dan Duchaine should realize that there are two diametrically different approaches to the carb-up. In the AD, the carb-up is quite unstructured. The goal is basically to eat a lot of carbs, and stop eating when you feel yourself starting to get bloated (which is roughly indicative of full muscle glycogen stores, where more carbohydrate will spill over to fat). In BO, an extremely meticulous carb-up schedule was provided, breaking down the 48 hour carb-up into individual meals, eaten every 2.5 hours. The approach which this article will provide is somewhere in the middle.

Dsnyder

Reaction score
It really is a neat concept

Someone told me about the Cheat Your Way Thin Diet a while ago. From what I was told it was a rather interesting diet. It is not a "scam". The creater has the credientials to back the claims.

The reason it is differnt from any other diet is because you vary your eating from day to day. Then once a week you get a cheat day. On your cheat day you can eat all the foods that you have been craving. Hence the name "Cheat your way Thin".

I haven't tried it yet but my friend claims it is a good plan and once you read how it works and apply it you will be able to stick with it long term and get the results you want without ever feeling deprived.

If anyone wants to talk about it more hit me up. I like doing my research before jumping into a new diet so I could hook you up with all the information I've found so far. Once you learn all the facts it is a pretty solid plan.