Cell Phones = Defense Mechanisms

ozzfest

Don Juan
Reaction score
Has anyone else encountered these types of women? They actually use their cell phones as an imaginary friend. In other words they are constantly walking around with that cellphone pressed in their ear and their eyes looking elsewhere. They totally block out the real world and are engrossed in a moronic discussion with whoever. I know a few women who do this. Anytime they are in transport...lets say from their car to an office building, mall...etc. They grab that phone and chit chat. So they are never accessable to anyone. Looks like they are always busy or involved in some important call.

Cell phones can be a wonderful thing and the world is a better place , but these women are using these cellphones waaaaay too much these days. Theres no down time. I was watching that movie the Breakup the other day with J Aniston and she was on a bad date. Her cell phone rings at dinner and she used it to lie and pretend her friend had an emergency. Brilliant. I'm thinking this happens a lot. Either the woman goes to the ladies room and calls her friend to tell her to call her in 10 min so she can get out of a date..or they can be so bold as to just text their friend right in front of you for immediate help.

I know one girl in particular that basically will get on the phone right in front of me. If we go out to lunch the phone is vibrating away on the table or ringing like nuts. The constant "beeps" that she has a new text message. Its so annoying. Oh and has literally called someone (parents, friends, whoever) in the car afterwards while we are driving somewhere. So now I'm sitting in the passenger seat, staring out the window, trying to pretend I'm not listening but obviously failing miserably cuz I have nowhere else to go. Am I invisible here? I mean its annoying enough to answer a call you get but to initiate it? We're not dating or anything, just friends but still...isn't that rude?

And like I said the cell phone is used as a weapon of defense when walking to and fro ... they will engage in a conversation, look straight down and pretend the outside world doesn't exist as they walk to their destination. They see no one. Its like they don't want to be bothered and this enables them an out.

I mean how much do we have to talk on the darn phone? I think women obviously like talking on the phone with their friends than guys. But when is enough enough?

Any thoughts?

GtarPlayr73

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the cell phone = invented by a woman

Was there ever an invention more female-friendly? (Besides a vibrator). Really, i couldn't imagine a life living off a cell phone. Poor things. But that's women for you: anything to keep that insecurity at bay and that social status sustained...

Time to take care of that bullsh!t. We men need to start insisting...when you're with me on a date, the phone gets turned off, or i move on to the NEXT one in line...

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[rant=on]

Cell phones are normalize the seemingly ADD-like deficiencies of normal people. It seems as if a person has a free moment of non-activity, they reach for their cell in order to have something to do. I have yet to have a reason to call a bud and talk about Sunday's game while I'm in the local grocery comparing prices breakfast cereals. Don't get me wrong, cell's have their place but personally I've used it to call my local pizzeria for delivery on my way home from work more often than I have used it to call a friend for chit-chat. If I want to talk to a bud, guess what? We're out doing something together and have no time to pick up the phone and chat with someone who is bored and has nothing else to do.

[/rant]

Hitman10000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember sitting in a restaurant and waiting for my meal to come and across me was this couple: A fat woman and a guy who is probably 10 years older than her. Both of them were yakking away on cell phones and I just started laughing inside cause I knew that the both of them didn't have much going on at that time or in their lives but they use the cell phone to pass the time till I'm assuming their meal came to them.

In another instance, I've also seen either a girlfriend or a boyfriend which is usually a girlfriend in most cases blabbering away on the phone while the significant other stares away being ignored. Or like Paris Hilton while she is having sex...in front of a night vision video camera.

It's just plain disrespect if a girl starts diddling with her cell phone to send a text message or has conversations while with you. Now if she was confirming something or she wanted to get some info, fine. Keep your social conversation or texting at during a slower time but not when you're with someone. If you ever find a girl that doesn't have Type A behavior with her cellphone, She is a keeper.

ElStud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I find that cellphones make it hard to do street approaches, because the girls all on the phone and I don't want to interrupt her. I mean, sure, iPod's and CD Players allow girls to do the same thing, but if you just tap them on the shoulder they'll take the headphones off and listen to you. If you approach the girl she's probably not going to like "Oh, sorry, let me hang up on my friend so I can talk to you" nope, she's most likely going to be like "Oh, can't talk right, I'm talking to my friend".

Raikojo17

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly can't stand this.

I'm like, b1tch please. nobody cares who you're gf is sleeping with or talking to or what ever. leave that sh1t at home.

nobody wants to here you whine and b1tch on the phone all day.
leave that at home.

Reaction score
Everyone both guys and girls own a cell phone now in Australia, even the older people who at first despised them.
In 1998 no one seemed to have one, in 1999 they started to become popular, in 2001 the first camera phone cost $900, by 2005 you could buy a one that had a camera video tv and mp3 player for $150, as soon as everyone had one the prices began to dramatically drop.

ozzfest

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya ever overhear some of these conversations tho? in the grocery store...you hear some chick as she is grabbing milk and eggs " oh then she said...blah blah"...its all this garbage. And someone earlier mentioned that its almost used as though everyone needs to just be entertained every second of the day. I know some of my friends even do that to me. They are in traffic..call me. What do you want from me? listen to the radio and leave me alone.

Getting back to ladies using it ,,, its just frustrating and annoying when I see them on their phones in their own little world. They might as well be holding up a big sign that says "DON'T BOTHER ME". What really hurts is some of these women have no social skills outside of their friends and their cellphones. You get them out on a date and they are speechless. Yet they can chat with their friends about nothing for hrs.

I'm ranting now but it just burns me up sometimes. One last thing..yeah the cell phone at the table when your on a date. Geez. Put it away. And its kind of sad to see a couple on their cell phones talking to 2 other people when they could be talking to each other. That ain't good

ConantheLibertarian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I tell them that unless you conduct actual business with your devices, that for our date they're off. I turn mine off, and she turns hers off. Too bad you can't do that to the ones out there in stores and on the streets.

The phones have gotten out of hand. They have names now, and they've become fashion/status symbols, especially for women. But if I want to talk to a woman, I won't shy away.

The fact that I'm gracing her with an introduction of myself should be enough to peel her away from that plastic lump that her ear is stuck to ;).

total_afc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell her to turn off the phone. If she respects you (you have enough value) she will do it. If you don't, she will not. This is a compliance test. Right now, you are afraid to tell her to turn it off, since you are afraid she will tell you to fvck off.

ozzfest said:
I mean how much do we have to talk on the darn phone? I think women obviously like talking on the phone with their friends than guys. But when is enough enough?

Any thoughts?

thickandcreamy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I Hate Cars

OP's next post: "I hate cars. I really hate them. It seems that whenever I talk to a girl, she runs off to her car, and drives off! Can you believe that?!? I wish cars had never been invented. The son of Ford is a c0ck block!"

Dude, if you really think the cell phone is a problem, you've already got your head so far up your ass no amount of counseling will help. Grow some balls first man.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ozzfest said:
I know one girl in particular that basically will get on the phone right in front of me. If we go out to lunch the phone is vibrating away on the table or ringing like nuts. The constant "beeps" that she has a new text message. Its so annoying. Oh and has literally called someone (parents, friends, whoever) in the car afterwards while we are driving somewhere. So now I'm sitting in the passenger seat, staring out the window, trying to pretend I'm not listening but obviously failing miserably cuz I have nowhere else to go.
So the next time she wants to hang out just say "only if your phone is turned off."

I do this type of thing. Usually not OFF but they know better than to answer it when they're with me. They often ask "is it okay if i call so and so" if there's a real need before they do.

The few times where it's something they really should answer they end up apologizing now...

Some of these damn phones can play entire songs for just a TEXT MESSAGE now. I've had it go off on them during sex. Talk about mood killer... especially since i start getting mad.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Hell, I do it sometimes too if I want to avoid an uncomfortable situation or don't want to talk to somebody (as in I see somebody I know, or I'm walking on the street and see 4 HB's in a row coming toward me).
I've been purposely exposing myself to these situations so that they aren't uncomfortable anymore. I seriously used to take different routes around my office and leave through an inconvenient exit just to avoid certain people that made me uncomfortable or feel shy... but fvck that.

VictorK

Don Juan
Reaction score
when i first met the girl i'm dating now, she would answer her cell whenever it rang infront of me....now when it rings...she doesn't even notice it

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you guys are right; it is disrespectful for a girl to yak on the phone while she's with you. If a girl does it (especially if the convo is particularly long and/or she doesn't apologize to you), then you should seriously think about just ditching the b1tch right there. Recently I've decided it's best to avoid girls that disrespect me at all in this type of way. Men these days seriously let themselves get taken advantage of by girls who have low IL or just don't respect them.

Remember, staying single isn't failure. Failure is being in an unhappy relationship.

as far as a girl purposefully using the phone to avoid you -- Well, it's a legitimate tactic. A female isn't known for boldness (hopefully!) so this is a legitimate way of ditching you if she's not interested enough. Learn to accept that not every girl will appreciate you, and keep improving yourself in the meantime.

Regarding girls who talk on the phone all the time in order to tune out the world -- Yeah, they probably do have issues. Granted, girls are supposed to be talkative and social, and it does make sense that they would engage in idle chit-chat frequently. Still, there are limits...

Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Hell, I do it sometimes too if I want to avoid an uncomfortable situation or don't want to talk to somebody (as in I see somebody I know, or I'm walking on the street and see 4 HB's in a row coming toward me).
Deus, are you seriously a man at all? That's pretty pathetic... You've amassed a good number of posts here, but you continually whine and admit to being a real wuss IRL. I like your posts about looks, but why don't you take your own advice and man up...Improve your personality; read the Book of Pook or something. Get out of your comfort zone little by little.