Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Ceasars Legion.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am currently reading this book, and I have to say, it is incredibly interesting as it is a well researched book, about the reign of Ceasars military campaigns. From the beginning, his conquor of Portugal, to the very end. Has anyone read this book previously and what are your thoughts? Or has anyone read any other interesting books on Ceasar or the Roman empire that they could recommend and what the books are about.

Cheers.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colleen McCullough has written several books on the Roman Empire. She starts off with Gaius Marius, then about Sulla before finishing it off with Caesar. I think there are 4 books, the first book is "The First Man in Rome" describing Gaius Marius' rise to power in Rome, how he got elected to Consul 7 times and how he reformed the army (going from the old 'Hastati, Principe and Triarii' setup - to the now famous imperial legions with members recruited from the 'Head Count').

The books are well researched mixed together with fiction.

There is also this other book about the greates Roman generals, ranging from Scipio Africanus, Gauis Marius, Caesar to Belisarius (who recaptured Rome from the Ostrogoths) written by a military historian that describes their campaigns in detail. I forgot the name of the book and the author, but I have it at home and I'll post it when I find it.

Tyron

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you like reading books I would recommend Conn Iggulden's Emperor (4 book series). It's fictional tale of Caesars life from child to his death. Very entertaining albeit not historically accurate. Half fiction half fact. A good read if you are into history and roman empire and also like novels.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Tyron, I am more into the facts, but I know there are large parts of the history of the empire (and Caesars life) that are not documented. So sometimes it is good to add a little educated guesses.

Centaurion, that other book you are not sure the name of, sounds like the one I am reading (though, the one I am reading is from a historian who researched Caesars military conquests for 30 years, so as to mix the writings of several classical writers such as Caesar himself, Plutarch, Appian, Suetonius, Tacitus, Cassius Dio, Josephus, Polybius and a few others in an attempt not to get a bias view (as most of the writters of the day were very bias, foremost, Caesar himself). But like the one you mentioned, it explaines the military campaigns in detail.

The books by Colleen McCullough sound interesting, I might have a look for them and have a quick skim through to see if I like the writing style. Do you know of any book that details quickly the history of the Roman empire? So far I have only been able to find a 2 hour video documentary on this topic (its called "ROME: Engineering an empire"), but it focuses more on the engineering feats of the Romans, than on the actual history (critical battles, rise, and reasons for the eventual downfall of the empire etc).

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I found it - "In the name of the Roman Empire"