Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

CDC stats on HSV-2 (Genital Herpes)

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Oh, ok, I guess the Merck needs to be revised as per your edits:

That's HSV-1 (oral), not HSV-2 (genital).

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you been tested for HSV 1 and HSV 2? You have to specifically ask to be tested so they can check for the correct IGG antibodies.
about 4 years ago before my last doctor retired, since then I haven't, we did a whole battery of bloodwork only showed slightly high bilerubin (sp?) counts
I used to be paranoid as fvck with the hoes out there and about these days everywhere. Still am, but I must judge a woman by sight and sense before I'll go raw, as tempting as it is. A non-caring woman can be really unhealthy and predictable uncouth bad-smellin tuna

GunShow85

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been with over 100 women under 200 in my lifetime. How have I Not contracted HSV?
I have a 4-5 guy friends that are around 200 notch count (mostly rawdog) and I believe them when they say they don't have it.

This is puzzling.

I wonder are they: (1) lucky (2) dating virgins (hah) (3) somehow more resistant (4) lying (5) is the CDC overestimating numbers (6) infected but asymptomatic

GunShow85

Don Juan
Reaction score
Even then with rubber still a decent chance you can contract it.
Yes. Condoms are like 99% effective against most STDs but only 70% against HSV2. I believe this is because it is a ski disease and generally shows up anywhere from knees to waistline. So condom doesn't protect your scrotum, pubic area, etc.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Oh, ok, I guess the Merck needs to be revised as per your edits:

about 4 years ago before my last doctor retired, since then I haven't, we did a whole battery of bloodwork only showed slightly high bilerubin (sp?) counts
I used to be paranoid as fvck with the hoes out there and about these days everywhere. Still am, but I must judge a woman by sight and sense before I'll go raw, as tempting as it is. A non-caring woman can be really unhealthy and predictable uncouth bad-smellin tuna
IGG anti-bodies are created when our immune system attacks and defeats the virus. A high load would mean you would be positive for the virus IF you were tested for the IGG HSV or HSV-2 antibodies.

Prob. wise to get re-tested. Statistically speaking, one out of four have HSV 2 and up to four out of five have HSV. So, if you did have sex with over 200 people, then you prob. have it.*

* This is NOT medical advice and should not be used as an alternative for seeking medical attention.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. Condoms are like 99% effective against most STDs but only 70% against HSV2. I believe this is because it is a ski disease and generally shows up anywhere from knees to waistline. So condom doesn't protect your scrotum, pubic area, etc.
Wash area with rubbing alcohol after sex encounters is good practice.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HSV doesn't cause lesions, they can cause water filled blisters.
Water? Why are they white and look like zits? And when they pop, isn't that a "lesion?"

The testing via antibodies is actually quite controversial. There was a piece of research, oregon state I think, where the antibody testing was actually less accurate than a random guess.

The story we get from the cdc is always carefully crafted. Everyone get tested for everything all the time, and the invincibility of condoms are two common themes. Both of those imperatives have value, but to best influence the public, the message must be kept simple. If they acknowledged that one test was flawed, people might stop getting tested altogether.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Water? Why are they white and look like zits? And when they pop, isn't that a "lesion?"

The testing via antibodies is actually quite controversial. There was a piece of research, oregon state I think, where the antibody testing was actually less accurate than a random guess.

The story we get from the cdc is always carefully crafted. Everyone get tested for everything all the time, and the invincibility of condoms are two common themes. Both of those imperatives have value, but to best influence the public, the message must be kept simple. If they acknowledged that one test was flawed, people might stop getting tested altogether.
No. Lesions are usually for HIV; at least that's what we classify them. HSV-2 are fluid filled blisters. The blisters contain water, the virus and white blood cells, or t-helper cells attempting to fight the virus. Once a person builds anti-bodies, then they disappear much faster. Blood tests now have 99.8% accuracy and are the standard. However, we would usually swap the vagina (and around), inside the penis (urethra), the shaft/head of the penis and anal canal if there was anal sex involved (very common nowadays).

In order to swab the actual blister, that would mean having to pop it, which could have the virus particles all over the place (due to the popping and fluid pressure). It's one of the reasons most healthcare facalities prefer not to go that route. Plus, it's not safe for medical staff. So, the IGG blood test is the test of choice. There is also the Western Blot test from University of Washington; but it's very expensive. That is also an option for the patient to consider.

FYI: A HSV-2 test is very common during pregnancy to rule out HSV-2. Should the mother have HSV-2, there is a good chance she can pass it along to her kid if she's not on anti-viral therapy (Valtrax). The kid could contract HSV-2 during the birthing process and may not live since it doesn't have a strong enough immune system to fight off the virus on it's own. This is why HSV-2 is no joking matter for ladies.

Ohso-Phresh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know you have good intentions but I’m gonna go with the Merck definitions:

“Eight types of herpesviruses infect humans, two of which are herpes simplex viruses (HSV). Both types of herpes simplex virus, HSV-1 and HSV-2, can cause oral or genital infection. Most often, HSV-1 causes gingivostomatitis, herpes labialis, and herpes keratitis. HSV-2 usually causes genital lesions.”

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I know you have good intentions but I’m gonna go with the Merck definitions:

“Eight types of herpesviruses infect humans, two of which are herpes simplex viruses (HSV). Both types of herpes simplex virus, HSV-1 and HSV-2, can cause oral or genital infection. Most often, HSV-1 causes gingivostomatitis, herpes labialis, and herpes keratitis. HSV-2 usually causes genital lesions.”
Whatever you say dude. You are misunderstanding what you are interpreting from the Merck reference manual. You are not my patient, so believe and proceed what and how you wish. Be well and good luck.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No. Lesions are usually for HIV; at least that's what we classify them. HSV-2 are fluid filled blisters. The blisters contain water, the virus and white blood cells, or t-helper cells attempting to fight the virus. Once a person builds anti-bodies, then they disappear much faster. Blood tests now have 99.8% accuracy and are the standard. However, we would usually swap the vagina (and around), inside the penis (urethra), the shaft/head of the penis and anal canal if there was anal sex involved (very common nowadays).

In order to swab the actual blister, that would mean having to pop it, which could have the virus particles all over the place (due to the popping and fluid pressure). It's one of the reasons most healthcare facalities prefer not to go that route. Plus, it's not safe for medical staff. So, the IGG blood test is the test of choice. There is also the Western Blot test from University of Washington; but it's very expensive. That is also an option for the patient to consider.

FYI: A HSV-2 test is very common during pregnancy to rule out HSV-2. Should the mother have HSV-2, there is a good chance she can pass it along to her kid if she's not on anti-viral therapy (Valtrax). The kid could contract HSV-2 during the birthing process and may not live since it doesn't have a strong enough immune system to fight off the virus on it's own. This is why HSV-2 is no joking matter for ladies.
I think this article is about the study I was talking about. Maybe testing has improved in the past couple of years?

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I think this article is about the study I was talking about. Maybe testing has improved in the past couple of years?

I've never sent a script to UW, but it is considered the gold standard. Back when it came out, the IGG blood tests were not close to 100%, more like 60% - 80%, so UW was able to develop a way to bring up the accuracy to 99.8% or so. IGG blood tests have come a long way are nearly just as on point as UW w.o. the extra costs and hassles to send over the draws.