Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Careers

imarockstar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, something that has been bothering me as of late is the fact that I'm getting a little older. Im 25 and I will be finishing up my 2 year associates degree this year, and will most likely transfer and take some online classes to finish up my bachelors. Problem is, I have no idea what to major in. Im picking Business right now because it seems general and safe, and I feel like with business you can't go wrong, the world revolves around businesses (money) and technology. I've always kind of had an interest in technology, and have dabbled in writing codes and for some reason I like that kind of stuff. I'm taking an IT class right now, but its very basic.

Long story short, Im not really sure what I want to do with my life, and I feel like at my age I need to hurry up and figure it out. Just wondering how you guys found your careers, or what you are doing to obtain one.

Johnnyventana

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You want to do something that you are better than other people at, and that you love.

You'll then be pretty happy.

So, what is it?

For me it is marketing and advertising and being creative.

Do only what you do well, and do it really well.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are headed in the right direction. You didn't say history or some other liberal arts major. There is NO market for those except teaching at another college. But colleges won't tell you that.

Make sure your degree MEANS something, a barrier to entry from competition. Am I worried about the guy down the street wanting to be a dentist? No, he has 8 years of school ahead. My son is going to school for chemical engineering.

IF you don't need the degree to do what you want, why are you in school?

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't need to hurry up and do anything. Just keep doing something to move forward.

I got my BA in business and actually used it in my profession. Got my foot in the door anyway. IT sounds good, especially if you have a passion for it. What about going to grad school? Maybe a bridge better left uncrossed until you are a junior or senior. Law school? MBA? MA info tech?

Just don't stop. That's my advice.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like Computer Engineering may be your field. I'd try that out. Can't go wrong with that degree.

I'm going to encourage my kids to go into Accounting, Law or the Medical field.

I don't particularly love my career or job, but it pays the bills. So yes, give this some more thought and go into what you want to go into. If not, trust me, you'll wake up ten years from now bored to death. As you get older, you need goals, and you need to enjoy what you do.

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
Sounds like Computer Engineering may be your field. I'd try that out. Can't go wrong with that degree.
IF he's good with math.

Engineering in general requires advanced math so if you're no good with algebra, trig, pre-calculus, etc., it'd just be a futile attempt since the math gets harder...

damnsam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Only a lucky few are able to do what they love and still get paid for doing it! If you haven't found your passion and discovered a way to materialize it into $$$ I'd pick from this list:

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp

I'm in engineering myself and glad I chose my major and do pretty well. I also have options to expand on my career whether it's going into project management, getting into the business side of marketing/sales/etc. If you have the technical capability along with people skills you'll be fine. I'd really focus on getting your credentials in order (degrees, certifications, etc) while you're still young. Study now play later, play now pay later...