Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Career in Accounting

TTom

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just wanted some opinions on a possible career choice I may be getting into (Accounting).

I'd like to become a CA or a CGA, but I don't know all *that* much about this stuff and an outside (informed too) opinion would be great.

I also enjoy Business and would ideally like to own my own company someday. Any thoughts on that too would be good.

-Tom

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
im an accounting junior right now. Its not as exciting as being a stunt man but it will pay the bills. I havent decided if I am going for an MBA after this or going to Law school. Either way as long as their is money, billing, taxes and other financial duties,there will be work.

Duo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a second year Commerce student and I am leaning towards majoring in accounting.

From the information I've gathered, it seems like I will most likely be getting my CA because it seems like it opens many doors in terms of possible careers.

Basically, with a CA you can easily move away from the book-keeping aspect of accounting and into some more interesting areas, such as management (eg. CEO, CFO) or finance & investment.

The other two options for me (being from Canada) are a CGA (Certified General Accountant) and CMA (Certified Management Accountant). From what I've heard, the CGA is most for "accountant" accountants (eg. tax, book-keeping) and the CMA is only for managerial stuff.

The CA seems better for me at this point simply because I don't really know what I want to do.

Anyways, this stuff is all very confusing (many people I have talked to have given me conflicting answers), and I recommend you contact the various accounting designation associations and ask them to send you information.

**Another important note is that (I believe) the CA is a fairly international designation. The CGA and CMA are not so much. So if you plan on working in a variety of places, I would recommend the CA.**

sounds like a boring career
Sounds like you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is CA the Canadian equivalent of CPA?

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore Accounting major. I'm not accepted into the professional business program yet because I'm only a sophomore but soon... anyways I'm doing accounting because it is in my opinion "real" business, not like some of the stupid worthless management or marketing majors, it will be helpful to me when I own my own business, and it is a global practice. I want to move to Ireland to be a CPA so...

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing the double major to get a bs in accounting and a BS in business but dropped the business because there was no real gain to the dual major. Accounting suits me better and I can take the CPA exam and get the MBA or JD down the line. I am not sure how much more of an advantage you will get with the MS in Accounting over an MBA.
The CPA license opens a lot of doors and having experience as an accountant can give you a step ahead of other applicants to Federal Investigative agencies like DEA, ATF, SS , IRS CID, postal inspector, TIGTA. FBI is in their own world and cant seem to consistently focus on a certain group to recruit from.
Just keep up the good work and take the CPA exam as soon as possible. Luckily in NY you dont have to sit for all parts at once so if you mess up a section and need to retake, you dont have to do the whole exam.

FRëSHURE

Don Juan
Reaction score
My brother got an accounting degree. Joint a firm for a couple of years, and now they are paying for him to get his CA. He's maybe 3qtrs of the way through it.

DAMN does he study alot! so far he hasn't failed any of the exams. But seriously guys. You'll need commitment.

He studies minimum a few hours a day.

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am in 1st year uni at the moment and am also wondering whether to major in Accounting or not.

The problem is, just about everyone who I've spoken to about Accounting... they don't like it one bit. I know people in higher year levels who have begun to do it then dropped it because they "cant stand it", I've heard from friends about people who became accountants and then hate their jobs, and also other people who are considering switching majors because they don't like it... BUT..

The good thing about accounting is that it is (a) useful, (b) practical and (c) good for job opportunities.

I guess you could ask yourself:
Accounting, or Finance? :confused:

Right now I don't even know the answer to that.

EDIT: I hope that didn't put you off accounting if you really want to do it. Just, some people don't like it, but everyone's different so it will most likely be a good choice for you if you are truly committed to it.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Accounting is boring like f*ck, but it'll get you a job. Accountants have never dropped in demand. Some of my friends did accounting, and they've already got jobs in excellent companies before they graduated.

Of course they want to kill themselves at work, but its a stable career. Nothing exciting, but you won't starve.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm an accountant. I have a degree and it'll take me about 2 more years before I'll get my CGA designation. The company pays for all my courses and books. If you're on the westcoast I'd recommend going the CGA route since a CA designation is worth about the same over here. I think the CGA route is alot easier to achieve since all you need is a C+ in the required courses and there is no big final exam like the CA's have. Right now I make $30,000 but as soon as I get my designation my salary will jump to 50 to 60k.

Alot of people bash the accounting profession and have no idea what they're talking about when they say it's "boring". It's rated one of the best jobs in North America by the Jobs Rated Almanac. For the people that bash the profession, what's an exciting job to you? Is an exciting job working outside doing construction?? or maybe fixing toilets and being covered in sh*t all day? I don't get it.

Duo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wheelin&dealin
I'm an accountant. I have a degree and it'll take me about 2 more years before I'll get my CGA designation. The company pays for all my courses and books. If you're on the westcoast I'd recommend going the CGA route since a CA designation is worth about the same over here. I think the CGA route is alot easier to achieve since all you need is a C+ in the required courses and there is no big final exam like the CA's have. Right now I make $30,000 but as soon as I get my designation my salary will jump to 50 to 60k.
Hey man, I live in Vancouver too. Right now I'm attending the Sauder School of Business at UBC.

Anyways, my concern with the CGA is that it seems like it might be more difficult to get work with it in other places in the world than if I had a CA. What do you think?

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duo
Hey man, I live in Vancouver too. Right now I'm attending the Sauder School of Business at UBC.

Anyways, my concern with the CGA is that it seems like it might be more difficult to get work with it in other places in the world than if I had a CA. What do you think?
I'm sure a CA designation is better recognized around the world.. but why would you want to move anywhere else? Have you had a look around Vancouver? The city is awe-inspiring. The women, the scenery, the whole damn venue is ridiculous!

Take it from somebody who's been all over North America. This city is where you want to be.

FRëSHURE

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alot of people bash the accounting profession and have no idea what they're talking about when they say it's "boring". It's rated one of the best jobs in North America by the Jobs Rated Almanac. For the people that bash the profession, what's an exciting job to you? Is an exciting job working outside doing construction?? or maybe fixing toilets and being covered in sh*t all day? I don't get it.
Its simple.

Its steriotypical of accountants to be boring.

Theres nothing wrong with breaking the sterio type.

Example. Look at IT people in the 80's/90's.

The steriotype is that these people all have pocket protectors and are skinny as hell. etc. etc.

Go to a University/College now. Look at the guys studying IT. Some will fit the stereotype, but many will be guys in good shape, who enjoy sports and beers, like a regular guy.

IT people aren't going to shake the nerdy image anytime soon though.

Accountants are boring.
IT are nerds.
Lawyers are scum.

deal with it.

Duo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure a CA designation is better recognized around the world.. but why would you want to move anywhere else? Have you had a look around Vancouver? The city is awe-inspiring. The women, the scenery, the whole damn venue is ridiculous!

Take it from somebody who's been all over North America. This city is where you want to be.
Oh I know. I definitely plan to spend most of my time in Vancouver. It's the place to be*.

That being said, it would be nice to have the option of working somewhere else for part of my life. Especially in Europe and/or Australia.

What can I say, I have the wanderlust.

* This might change after the Olympics.

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duo
Oh I know. I definitely plan to spend most of my time in Vancouver. It's the place to be*.

That being said, it would be nice to have the option of working somewhere else for part of my life. Especially in Europe and/or Australia.

What can I say, I have the wanderlust.

* This might change after the Olympics.
Yeah, I have a European Union passport and I definitely want to work over there but I go to school/live in America. I hope it's not to hard to get certified in Europe. I would also like to work in Vancouver because of all the cool things I`ve heard and the beauty of the area. I hope it's not too hard to work in Canada for a little bit?

Duo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DrMetallica
Yeah, I have a European Union passport and I definitely want to work over there but I go to school/live in America. I hope it's not to hard to get certified in Europe. I would also like to work in Vancouver because of all the cool things I`ve heard and the beauty of the area. I hope it's not too hard to work in Canada for a little bit?
I don't know about work visas, but it seems like everyone and their dog can immigrate to Canada if they want to. :rolleyes: