Car Salesmen

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, most of the money is in used cars. It's made by having parts and skilled labor to repair them, by giving the private seller about 1/2 what they could get with a private sale, and selling the car for about 4x their cost of acquistion/repair. I am not kiddig or mistaken, either.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's one of those businesses you really have to just cut your teeth with. you will learn a lot about how people tick selling cars

most important / best thing i can tell you is to trust your gut. don't waste time and don't be afraid to bail out **** what your managers are telling you.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well heres an update.

I only get paid 25% of profit. Minimum is 100$ per sales.

I've only sold one car in the past 7 days even though it was the last of the month. But to be honest with you my head just wasn't in it this last week. Working 60 hours a week is very stressful and tiring.

Got tired of people saying their just looking and they need approvals from their spouse. ETC...

The sale I made yesterday was a 1100$ profit for me but besides that deal I really haven't made good money.

I did however manage to take pics of all the inventory prices and msrp of all the vehicles though. Hopefully I can study it and ONLY sell high profit cars.

JohnChops

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No more keyboard jockeying . Action is the place.
PrettyBoyAJ said:
Well heres an update.

I only get paid 25% of profit. Minimum is 100$ per sales.

I've only sold one car in the past 7 days even though it was the last of the month. But to be honest with you my head just wasn't in it this last week. Working 60 hours a week is very stressful and tiring.

Got tired of people saying their just looking and they need approvals from their spouse. ETC...

The sale I made yesterday was a 1100$ profit for me but besides that deal I really haven't made good money.

I did however manage to take pics of all the inventory prices and msrp of all the vehicles though. Hopefully I can study it and ONLY sell high profit cars.
My Dads a car dealer, he owns his own lot. Deals with customers who are "just looking" all the time. His reaction is that he already knows that if they are just looking he isnt going to be selling a car to this person. They are just a waste of time, window shoppers.

Selling cars, you need to have the right amount of agression and control. If you are a push over you will never make it in that business. If you assert yourself in conversation and push towards a sale then thats when you can start to learn. You'll pick up many more techniques and niches about sales as you go along, you're just starting out so don't beat yourself up about it. Selling ain't for everyone.

But just like with women, know when to walk away from the customer to show you aren't here to play games you either are buying or leaving. Thats it.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never sold a thing in my life, unless it was candy bars and magazines in highschool and I sucked at that. What I can tell you is from a buyers standpoint of someone who has bought 3 new trucks in the past 4 years. I deal with one salesman and one salesman only. It's hard finding a good, honest salesman in the car game, but when you do you really have something. Not only have I bought 3 trucks from this guy, I've also bought my mom a new car from him, and sent countless people to him because I know he's going to treat them right and in turn I look good for referring them to him.

What he isn't is pushy or aggressive. I HATE that. Nothing runs me off faster then some salesman trying to push me into something. I pretty much have my mind made up of what I want and what I'm going to pay for it before I ever step foot on your lot. I know all the details of the exact truck I'm looking for and probably know more about the truck then the guy that's selling it. The salesman I mentioned earlier knows his product and let's it sell itself and if you have any questions he can answer them and answer them HONESTLY. you won't catch this dude in a lie. Wanna test drive something on the lot? he will toss you the keys and tell you to "have at it" while he waits in his office. Want the very BEST price the FIRST time? he'll give it to you the FIRST time. no b.s. going back and forth for hours trying to squeeze out every penny you can. This guy gives you FAIR value for your trade-in (better then other dealers that I've compared just to see what the difference is) and he's going to beat any dealers price....without you even mentioning what the other prices were. This guy doesn't need to make a killing off of one car because he sells 5 a day.

He knows me and I know him, he's the same guy days, months, years AFTER the sale as he was the day you were signing the papers. If all car salesman were like him, car buying would be as easy as buying milk from the grocery store. As hassle and stress free too. This guy has me as a customer for life and he knows it and doesn't take advantage of that. He will always be the same straight forward, honest, give you the best deal you can kinda guy he was the first time I did business with him. He asks if you want extra's like extended warranties and stuff but when you tell him no that's it, he doesn't bring it up again.

The guy is a dang genius when it comes to selling cars!

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"You take care of him... do I have to? Well fvck you -- you have to do the next one then."

"Yeah what do you want?"

"Sh1t you're wasting my time."

"No I can't order that. It would be a lot of trouble for nothing. Why don't you just buy this one here?"

"Look why should I bother doing the paperwork for you if I can't make any commission offa it?"

"No, a thousand over sticker is as low as I can go, I gotta make something."

"I'm going inside. If you see something you like just ask someone for help."

Salesmen, aka cashiers, are the most entitled cvnts on Earth. Just like women, they think they deserve money for doing nothing. Car salesmen are the worst of the worst. Run their mouths and every word is shaming, pressure, manipulation, and the most crass, selfish distain for the wishes of the customer. Fvck all salesmen up the azz with a tire iron, then skull fvck them to death with it.

fuko2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i sold cars for a while at a GM dealership. My advice is if you have the mentality of close close close you will push them away. If they are just a lead from the internet always follow up ive sold tons of cars from internet leads people did not want. Aslo lot up's are very challengeing. when you walk up to your customer always use the word welcome in the first sentence ytou spit out. it helps them feel more comfortable and welcome of corse but we all get the ones "im just looking" dont walk away. ive seen tons of salesmen walk away only to have another one go out and take the sale. it happend to me haha and never pre-qualify. if someone drives up in a pos most peoples first thought is this person cant buy ...not true. and the service department is full of good leads. get in good with the service writer and techs and if they have someone whos car is fubar they will refer them to you. but last and not least make sure you have a good F&I guy. even after you close the deal is not over until they drive off the lot. if your F&I man pushes a warranty to hard or something like that your customer may back out . it has happend to me before. but good luck out there you are now part of one of the most hated professions.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People who say they hate salesman are mad at themselves for poor decisions in the past. It's like slvts who say they hate men - it's not my fault you're easy!

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when i say i can sale condoms to a nunnery I can sale anything. the key to dealing with an objection is to 1. understnad what they are objecting to and 2. understand their motives

a person comes to the lot they say they are just looking. okay.

1. if you watch them, the very first thing they got out on the lot and saw is what they came to see. the rest is just to pass on the i'm just looking facade. no one comes to the lot with NOTHING in mind. come on. whatever they get there and the first thing they go to is what they wanted to see

2. a person who says htey are just looking they are telling you they don't like to be pressured. so what i do is i changed the subject to nothing to do with cars. find something to shoot the **** with. our lot was right next to a movie theater so i would ask are they just killing time until they go tot he movies most were, and we'd start talking about movies. I sold a few cars like that. that night. i made one guy miss his movie he came to go see, sold him a blue RX8.

but even if they don't buy anything or don't want really talk about buying something don't push it. stay shooting the **** mode, beucase you are planting the seed in their mind that you aren't going to pressure cook them. and when they ARE ready to buy, they will come looking for you beucase they know they are going to have the experience they want. I 'd get 3-4 of these a month guys just out of the blue pop up with my card and i talked to them and now they are ready to buy.

some people you got to pressure. the guy who you know is ready to buy a car but doesn't know about ****, can't make a decision for him self you got to pressure cook that guy or he will never guy. you have tom ake the decision for him. but you don't pressure cook the i'm just looking guy.

if your F&I man pushes a warranty to hard or something like that your customer may back out
the last day i ever sold cars i sold this older woman a yellow honda S2000 and i think i had netted like 2400 dollars or something i had about 650 dollars coming to me frmo the deal. not a real big deal but one i would take 7 days a week. anyway, i get my comission c heck, it's coming back as a mini deal (100 dollars).

this mother****er, the F and I guy, *****d out the markup on the car to sale his warranty package. we damn near went to blows over that ****. i said you know what, my business is making a little money now **** this **** i'm not slaving over this **** to get ripped off like this.

you are wasting your time working for a lot with a bad F and I guy

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just realized I got ****ed big time. Sold a managers special car on the 2 (ms are 1000$ flat rates.) come to find out because the month changed the flat rate was 550 because it was a new month and I had to split it because another salesmen talked to the guy on the phone the previous day.

Screw this. I'm getting screwed with my money. Making over minimum wage with a masters degree yet working 60 hours a week. **** this.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think it's car salesman that people are really fearful of. I think it's the finance guy/lady. Think about it, you've been at the dealer already for about an hour or two....the deal is halfway done...you're sort of worn down mentally...problem is now you REALLY have to be on your A game with the finance guy/girl or you will get taken behind the woodshed. You can be the best car shopper in history and they will STILL get you if you aren't careful. and I mean CAREFUL. I had one fast talking slickster change my interest rate on me onetime. Lucky for me I read everything before I sign it, and I mean EVERYTHING. I don't rush, even though he was sort of in a hurry. I knew what my credit score was before I went into the dealership, I had already had financing lined up prior to stepping foot on the lot. I just wanted to see if the dealer could beat it. the finance guy ran my credit and said "you have great credit! we can approve you for 2.9%". I said "ok that works" because my bank had approved me for 3.4%. Problem was when I got to looking over the contract the sleazy son of a ***** wrote in 16.9% and the 2.9% was nowhere to be found. I didn't say a word, I just ripped up the contract, got up and left. The look on his face was priceless because he knew he had been caught. The salesman came running after me trying to smooth things over but I told him "your boss just cost you a sale, go thank him."

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PrettyBoyAJ said:
Just realized I got ****ed big time. Sold a managers special car on the 2 (ms are 1000$ flat rates.) come to find out because the month changed the flat rate was 550 because it was a new month and I had to split it because another salesmen talked to the guy on the phone the previous day.

Screw this. I'm getting screwed with my money. Making over minimum wage with a masters degree yet working 60 hours a week. **** this.
you didn't get screwed that's the rulees of the game. that's a split deal 7 days a week. that was his customer that you sold. that's the rules.

that's why you always ask "have you spoken to anyone else".

basically think about it like this. you laid yoru game down tight on a girl and you never even bothered to ask if she had a boyfriend or was married. come to find out she's ****iing engaged after you have spit to her for 45 mintues. that's your ****ing fault lol.

just chalk it up and keep your head up.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Understood. Just really frustrated. Making another minimum wage check (barely over draw) is going to drive me crazy

fuko2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yall dont log your up's? Best way to figure this out is like the other guy said always ask if they have spoken to someone else and if they have and cant remember do a T.O. to your sales manager and from there he will decide if you have a split deal or not. I would take peoples old leads and rework them sometimes. i had a few come in and buy and the other salesmen got mad when i closed them. my GM said no split deal because they had written them off as a dead lead and or could not get them on the lot. see what yalls policy on that is. FOLLOW UPS are a GOOD thing. Cars are a dirty game. try to find one sales person you can trust and when your not in they can handle your deals. thats what i did but be sure to give them a little kick back off of whatever you make if they close for you one day. good luck and keep your head up.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuko2007 said:
yall dont log your up's? Best way to figure this out is like the other guy said always ask if they have spoken to someone else and if they have and cant remember do a T.O. to your sales manager and from there he will decide if you have a split deal or not. I would take peoples old leads and rework them sometimes. i had a few come in and buy and the other salesmen got mad when i closed them. my GM said no split deal because they had written them off as a dead lead and or could not get them on the lot. see what yalls policy on that is. FOLLOW UPS are a GOOD thing. Cars are a dirty game. try to find one sales person you can trust and when your not in they can handle your deals. thats what i did but be sure to give them a little kick back off of whatever you make if they close for you one day. good luck and keep your head up.
yeah if you are using Reynolds and Reynolds CORRECTLY this fixes that problem as you have to log your clients and if there is a client in the system it will come up.

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
People who say they hate salesman are mad at themselves for poor decisions in the past. It's like slvts who say they hate men - it's not my fault you're easy!
As you wish.

But I never bought a new car in my life. It's a bad investment. And I always buy used cars from private parties. So I'm not sure where the self-hate would come from that I'm supposedly projecting onto salesmen. More likely, I am disgusted at their behavior.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We log all of our ups. I'm over that past situation. From now on I'm only focusing on used cars and manager special new cars. Minis ain't doing nothing but keeping me at draw.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PrettyBoyAJ said:
We log all of our ups. I'm over that past situation. From now on I'm only focusing on used cars and manager special new cars. Minis ain't doing nothing but keeping me at draw.
if your bonus structure is anything like any other car dealership your comissions jumps from 25% to 30% after you sale 10 cars and you get about a 2k bonus after you sale anywhere from 17 to 20 cars.

those new cars come in handy.

there are going to be some deals where you dont' make any money but that does not mean the deal wont' make you any money. that mini deal might be the deal you need to get your 2k bonus

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea. That's exactly how it works for us. Any special way that you got people come to you. I printed out my own business cards and hand them out a lot. Even have a 100$ birddog. I'm trying to hit 20 cars in my first full month. Only 2 in 5 days though. Need to get my grind on.