Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Car salesman.

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm done working at these minimum wage jobs that are just generally bad. Even though I know what I want in my life and how to get it, these beginning stages just kill me. It feels like I'm wasting my time. I sometimes even get a little depressed. It really gets to me that there is nothing I can do right now except grind it out for some cash until I can afford college, car, etc...

So with that being said, I saw one of my ex co workers become a salesman one day. He was a great employee by the way and he's 19. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on getting into that business. I really enjoy cars and paying attention to all the minor and major details that make a difference, so I'm thinking I should try and get into that business. This will also help my charisma game tremendously. I also understand that it's a commission game and I will be working long hours.

How should I go about this?

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean how should you go about this? Go apply at a Car Dealership.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing you have to remember about minimum wage jobs (or slightly above minimum) is that they are easy to replace. Seriously, how hard do you think it'll be to go out and get another minimum wage job? Pretty damn easy. It will be harder to get a job that will pay you more.

I have never been a car salesman, but if they bring you into an interview, they may ask you why you want to be car salesman. The one, simple, singular answer you need to give them is: "I want to make money". After that, you should be golden.

As for being a car salesman, my one piece of advice is give the customer what they want. If a customer (such as myself) comes in and tells you exactly what make/model vehicle they want and the options they want, give it to them. Write up a quote and immediately show them it will cost X amount. Offer 1, maybe 2 at the most suggestions on additional things since you are trying to sell them on something, but after that, shut up.

Now it's different if a customer comes and they don't know exactly what they want. Then you can suggest lots of things.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cars are about the one thing I haven't sold. I did sell mortgage loans. Both involve a lot of monthly payment calculations. You always want to get the customer's old debt and roll it into the new loan, so you make more money. All people ever care about is the monthly payment, so you need to be able to spit an accurate number right back at them, and that comes with practice. When you merge several small debts into one larger one, the total monthly payment is almost always lower, which is what people like. No one cares about rates, terms, or duration of the contract - just the monthly payment.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
As a guy in B2B Sales, with nearly 8 years of experience, there's better opportunities in "Sales" than selling cars unless you are coming to the table with a network established or if you have some sort of strategy to drive people to specifically see YOU to buy a car.

The whole tired act of waiting for someone to drive up to scroll around and "close them" gig, is too old and too inconsistent to forecast income.

ZTIME

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Walk in and apply as stated!

Word of warning. Understand the demographic of where you live. If the average income level where you live is 30k a year, don't sell high end vehicles. If you live in Miami, go sell high end vehicles.

Best brand to rep right now is Ford. I don't drive one personally, but they have a variety of vehicles covering every demographic including commercial vehicles. And we all feel pretty good about them for not taking tarp $$$

Sales is for "go getters" not for lazy people!! If your intent is to sit around waiting for the next "up", you're done.

You're young. If you get into the car business and do well, ask to learn the finance department. That's where all of the real money is made. Anyone can get a car invoice price off of the internet these days, so commissions are generally low at the front end of the deal. Back-end income is always easier to make and pays higher commissions. Don't forget that.

If you can't hustle....Stick with the hourly jobs. Car sales is a shark tank.

I personally hate car sales but have done it successfully in my early 20's. The "yes sir", "no sir", internet pricing, lame customers trying to push you for a better deal just gets old.

However, learn from the experience of being there. Nothing is more gratifying then making that $3'000 commission when you land "the big one"!

r.andy

Reaction score
I don't think there is any problem to doing a job as Car Salesman... yes I agree with that the wages are low in this. But once you get experienced and join any reputed company you will start to get handsome wages.