Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Car burns oil at a rapid rate, should I try Synthetic oil?

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My car is a 1995 Saturn SL2 with 239950 miles. When you consider all the miles it has, it's rather amazing that burning oil is this car's only noticeable problem.

Anyway right now I am having to refill (by which I mean I put in a quart, this car dosen't hold much oil) this cars oil every 300-400 miles. Recently I have been thinking about that at my next oil change (I still do those only once every 2500-3000 miles) maybe I should try synthetic oil. I know it's expensive and generally used only by people who love their cars more than their family and friends, but I was doing the math and if the synthetic oil does last the full 3000 miles I would actually be saving money (although I'll admit I am not 100% sure how more expensive a synthetic oil change is over a regular oil change. From what I've seen regular oil is about $1.50 per qt and synthetic is about $6.00 per qt). I do plan on asking some mechanics and other people about this, however I just want to get as much feedback about this as possible. So would it be worth it to try synthetic oil, or will that not do me any good? Also if you guys know of anyother ways in which I can prevent my car from burning so much oil please let me know.

Thanks for your input

Wubbman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would say try it, but that is just a short term solution. Your piston rings are fried and are allowing oil into the combustion chamber. Thats why the car is burning oil so much. Think about saving some money for another car, as having the amount of work done that is required to replace piston rings just isn't worth it for a car that old with that many miles. HTH.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most synthetics are thinner, I would have thought it would make it worse. Plus they also have more chemicals in them to break up deposits. This could lead to a sudden, major jettison of the golden stuff.

I'm no mechanic though I may be wrong.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Yep, synthetics are thinner, and in older cars, you will most likely develop a leak or two.

Your engine is worn, and is burining oil probably due to worn piston rings and worn valve stem seals.

stevera004

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For burning oil problems, just use the heaviest (20W50 say) and cheapest (because you'll be topping it up every day/week/month).

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya you most likely have worn out piston rings. That can be very expensive to replace. You could always try one of the oils for cars with over 75,000 miles, that may help a little.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I say check your head gaskets first. They're easy to replace and inexpensive.

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing I should've mentioned is I have replaced all the gaskets, pistons etc. I actually had them replaced twice within two years, the first time they were replaced my dad paid for it (because it was still his car at the time) and the car was under a 12,000 mile warranty. Less then a year later I got them replaced (the car was still under warranty so it cost me nothing). This worked alright for a little bit but the problem came back. There is a long story about what happened next but I won't tell it right now. I'm just letting you all know that these gaskets, pistons etc. are all fairly new but can not fully settle in because of the outer engine cover (something like that anyway, according to the mechanic over at Saturn).

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
I say check your head gaskets first. They're easy to replace and inexpensive.
You mean valve cover gaskets, right?

Head gaskets are an expensive job - very time-consuming.

Besides, he's burning oil, not leaking oil, so that would rule out any leaking gaskets.