Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cant think of a career

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just turned 24 and want to get my life in order already. Right now im working at UPS making 8.50 an hr...It sucks. But its a job. I want to get out of this house already and get on my own.

My goal as of now are three choice.

1. Security throughout the day, while doing online school to build up credits, and my personal training business or working at a gym at night.

2. Real Estate Broker - Would of jumped right into that already but the US Market sucks

3. Stick with UPS and make a career out of it - Drivers make $30 an hr which is absolutely nothing to me. I can do double that in an hr with my personal training business.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crissco said:
3. Stick with UPS and make a career out of it - Drivers make $30 an hr which is absolutely nothing to me. I can do double that in an hr with my personal training business.
Do you still live at home? Just curious...I mean if 30 an hour is nothing to you despite you making only 8.50 an hour now then I just can't wrap my head around that. And if you're still at home at 24 I think that your best move would be the third move since it is the best guarantee that you are moving on with your life.

It sounds like your personal training business is your passion. That's a fine passion to pursue. And working as a UPS driver shouldn't get in the way of that. Real estate brokerage might. And going to school while working a full time or close to it job would as well. A career is balancing practicality with dreams.

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still live at home. 30an hour isnt a lot because for training I was charging 65an hour. Long run itll take me 5-10 years to become a UPS driver. And in that time i can have so much money saved up from training and security.

Like I said i love training, def a passion of mine and im good at it

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crissco said:
I still live at home. 30an hour isnt a lot because for training I was charging 65an hour. Long run itll take me 5-10 years to become a UPS driver. And in that time i can have so much money saved up from training and security.

Like I said i love training, def a passion of mine and im good at it
If you're training people fulltime, making $65 an hour, and living at home, what's the problem? Unless you're spending your'e cash on blow, high class hookers and grey goose, you should be quite loaded. Not sure what your dilemma is.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am also a personal trainer and nutritionist.

I think you should focus on money NOT passion.

make a check list of all the tangible things you want in life.
(be specific)

-nice house
-nice Car
-3 Vacations out of the year
-etc.

Figure out how much it will cost every month.

Find a job that pays for all those things.

See if that job is in demand via google.

Develop a plan to get the job.

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are personality inventories and a tome of information related to the selection of a new career including advice on how to transition.

Think of this dilemma you're having as one that can be broken down into its individual components to be solved, just like a word problem or a math problem or a simple financial problem. You have needs, wants, and goals. You need to make a first-pass at listing your BASIC (and I mean very basic) needs, wants, and goals.

Phase I: Know yourself.
Step 1. Make a list of basic needs.
Step 2. Make a list of pie-in-the-sky financial dreams.
Step 3. Make a list of personality/social dreams.
Step 4. Take personality inventories that help you identify proper career paths.
Step 5. Apply those personality inventories to career paths to identify potential avenues to achieve those careers you find appealing.

Phase II: Reconciliation
Step 1. Identify careers for which the career path is unrealistic or for which it it something you're unwilling to execute (i.e. president may be an unrealistic goal, as may being a rock star, unless you believe that you have the passion and dedication and business sense to get yourself there).
Step 2. Revisit your basic needs. Eliminate career paths that don't afford you your basic needs.
Step 3. Revisit your lofty goals. Do they need to be altered based on what you've got left in your career list? This is reconciliation of your goals with your potential.

Phase 3: Winnowing Careers.
Step 1. Investigate the details of execution in getting to the careers that you find most desirable that also match with your needs and your revised professional/personal goals.
Step 2. Use this short list to carefully examine REAL testimonials in books AND the internet to get a LEGITIMATE idea if this career is one you can really get behind.
Step 3. Pick 2 careers - one as a primary goal and one as a backup.

Phase 4: Execution
Step 1. Start down the path of your primary career by whatever action you have deemed necessary.
Step 2. Be successful.

Alternatively, you may want to pay a career counselor to help you through this difficult and highly integrative decision-making process. Find one through friends, relatives, or online reviews, but DO NOT pick one at random.

Good luck with your search!

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
If you're training people fulltime, making $65 an hour, and living at home, what's the problem? Unless you're spending your'e cash on blow, high class hookers and grey goose, you should be quite loaded. Not sure what your dilemma is.
Im not training anyone right now. Im making 8.50 an hr at UPS..

I made a list of what i thought my best options would be.

I am also a personal trainer and nutritionist.

I think you should focus on money NOT passion.

make a check list of all the tangible things you want in life.
(be specific)

-nice house
-nice Car
-3 Vacations out of the year
-etc.

Figure out how much it will cost every month.

Find a job that pays for all those things.

See if that job is in demand via google.

Develop a plan to get the job.
I can do both, money and passion would be doctor.

There are personality inventories and a tome of information related to the selection of a new career including advice on how to transition.

Think of this dilemma you're having as one that can be broken down into its individual components to be solved, just like a word problem or a math problem or a simple financial problem. You have needs, wants, and goals. You need to make a first-pass at listing your BASIC (and I mean very basic) needs, wants, and goals.

Phase I: Know yourself.
Step 1. Make a list of basic needs.
Step 2. Make a list of pie-in-the-sky financial dreams.
Step 3. Make a list of personality/social dreams.
Step 4. Take personality inventories that help you identify proper career paths.
Step 5. Apply those personality inventories to career paths to identify potential avenues to achieve those careers you find appealing.

Phase II: Reconciliation
Step 1. Identify careers for which the career path is unrealistic or for which it it something you're unwilling to execute (i.e. president may be an unrealistic goal, as may being a rock star, unless you believe that you have the passion and dedication and business sense to get yourself there).
Step 2. Revisit your basic needs. Eliminate career paths that don't afford you your basic needs.
Step 3. Revisit your lofty goals. Do they need to be altered based on what you've got left in your career list? This is reconciliation of your goals with your potential.

Phase 3: Winnowing Careers.
Step 1. Investigate the details of execution in getting to the careers that you find most desirable that also match with your needs and your revised professional/personal goals.
Step 2. Use this short list to carefully examine REAL testimonials in books AND the internet to get a LEGITIMATE idea if this career is one you can really get behind.
Step 3. Pick 2 careers - one as a primary goal and one as a backup.

Phase 4: Execution
Step 1. Start down the path of your primary career by whatever action you have deemed necessary.
Step 2. Be successful.

Alternatively, you may want to pay a career counselor to help you through this difficult and highly integrative decision-making process. Find one through friends, relatives, or online reviews, but DO NOT pick one at random.

Good luck with your search!
One of the best posts ive ever read on careers/life..Going to read this over and memorize it.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMHO you have to make some mistakes.

Spend 20 minutes and pick a career based on your interests and how you spend your free time.

Then go for it.

You'll find out whether it's the career for you or not.

--

The lucky phaggots know what they want to do from when they're 10 years old. The rest of us find out through process of elimination.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds pretty simple to me. Chase the money (at least for now). :yes:

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
If I were you, I'd stay at home.

My opinion is to pursue your passion of becoming a doctor. Do whatever you must to enroll in college. Start off with a two-year community college. It's easy to enroll and you'll minimize debt and be able to transfer to a 4-year school at a significantly discounted rate if you do well academically.

In the meantime, keep the UPS job and work your way through college. Save as much money as you can. Tell yourself that each pay period you're gonna deposit _____ dollars into your savings account, and that you're not gonna spend or touch that money. Even if it's just $10.00 per pay period, it'll add up, so let nothing get in the way of that. Buy only what you need. Be happy with what you have.

I know that you're 24 and that it's not cool to live with mom and dad, but this might be the only time in your life that you're able to save the majority of your pennies. In my opinion, the economy will worsen significantly, so it's best to hunker down right now and live frugally. The reality is, you may not have a job tomorrow.

$8.50 an hour doesn't sound like much, but you're living at home and incurring few monthly expenses, so it's not that bad actually, compared to making $30.00 an hour and paying for monthly rent and utilities and everything else that comes along with living on your own.
While I agree with what you say I need to get out of this house man, its very stressful a lot of the times and I need to be on my own and do what i have to do for me.

If my plan somehow doesnt workout ill move back no problem but for right now I think im going to stick to option 1. I make the most money and im going to school to better myself.

I want to thank you all for your responses and knowledge.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Medicine is a great career, but in my opinion its not worth the stress that you're gonna have to endure for the next decade of your life. I'm an RN working in critical care at a large hospital. I have a lot of friends who are residents, many in the surgical subspecialities. When I was younger I thought I wanted to do medicine, I took the MCAT and all that jazz. Then I saw what my buddies gotta go thru in med school and residencies... definitely not worth it in my opinion.

If you want a cool job in health care where you'll get to do way cooler things than most MDs do consider being a CRNA. You'll get to intubate, line, do nerve blocks, epidurals, etc and basically get to sit around keeping your patient alive during a surgery. You're gonna need a B.S.N in nursing and a couple of years of ICU experience, then a 2-3 year masters in anesthesia. Avg. salary for CRNAs are in the 160-180 range, and you can make more if you wanna put the hours in an work in underserviced areas. You could be making close to 200k in your early 30s if you choose this career path. Furthermore there is a substantial demand for CRNAs as the general US population is basically fat and unhealthy. Just check out gaswork.com or this study:
http://www.aana.com/uploadedFiles/R...ournal_-_Public/2006/August_2006/p287-293.pdf

You can try moving out but it puts a lot more stress on yourself financially especially when you're trying to make it thru school. Trust me man, I moved out when I was 21, and had to resort to stripping during my schooling to put a roof over my head, buy food and afford tuition. Unless you're making a lucrative income while in school, its a lot easier to stay at home. Stay busy with school/work and the stressors from home really shouldn't bug you.

If you do decide to take nursing, then you'll be going to school w/ 90% young girls. Some of em will be hot and most of em will have hot young single friends... You'll graduate in 4 years and have a job that will instantly pay 25-30 an hour. Get into a big ICU preferably at a level II or level I trauma center, work there for 1-2 years and then apply to a CRNA program. You'll be done in 2-3 years and easily be making 6 figures working part time if you want. You'll be enjoying steady high demand employment with a good income and great working conditions in a market where everyone is losing jobs. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@ Fuglydude

This is the route I'm taking right now. You only need 1 year of ICU but lots of people get away with 6 months if you have a solid GPA (3-8 - 4.0) along with your BLS, ACLS and PALS.

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Medicine is a great career, but in my opinion its not worth the stress that you're gonna have to endure for the next decade of your life. I'm an RN working in critical care at a large hospital. I have a lot of friends who are residents, many in the surgical subspecialities. When I was younger I thought I wanted to do medicine, I took the MCAT and all that jazz. Then I saw what my buddies gotta go thru in med school and residencies... definitely not worth it in my opinion.

If you want a cool job in health care where you'll get to do way cooler things than most MDs do consider being a CRNA. You'll get to intubate, line, do nerve blocks, epidurals, etc and basically get to sit around keeping your patient alive during a surgery. You're gonna need a B.S.N in nursing and a couple of years of ICU experience, then a 2-3 year masters in anesthesia. Avg. salary for CRNAs are in the 160-180 range, and you can make more if you wanna put the hours in an work in underserviced areas. You could be making close to 200k in your early 30s if you choose this career path. Furthermore there is a substantial demand for CRNAs as the general US population is basically fat and unhealthy. Just check out gaswork.com or this study:
http://www.aana.com/uploadedFiles/R...ournal_-_Public/2006/August_2006/p287-293.pdf

You can try moving out but it puts a lot more stress on yourself financially especially when you're trying to make it thru school. Trust me man, I moved out when I was 21, and had to resort to stripping during my schooling to put a roof over my head, buy food and afford tuition. Unless you're making a lucrative income while in school, its a lot easier to stay at home. Stay busy with school/work and the stressors from home really shouldn't bug you.

If you do decide to take nursing, then you'll be going to school w/ 90% young girls. Some of em will be hot and most of em will have hot young single friends... You'll graduate in 4 years and have a job that will instantly pay 25-30 an hour. Get into a big ICU preferably at a level II or level I trauma center, work there for 1-2 years and then apply to a CRNA program. You'll be done in 2-3 years and easily be making 6 figures working part time if you want. You'll be enjoying steady high demand employment with a good income and great working conditions in a market where everyone is losing jobs. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Very very good post bro. Im going to have to look into this more.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
@ Fuglydude

This is the route I'm taking right now. You only need 1 year of ICU but lots of people get away with 6 months if you have a solid GPA (3-8 - 4.0) along with your BLS, ACLS and PALS.
Good to hear from you bro. How are things going? Glad to see you got a great career path that you're striving for. Where are you right now in the process? I'm a CCRN, so if you have any ICU questions hit me up... you also gotta check out www.ccmtutorials.com ... great resource of the basics of critical care.

Good luck man. Let me know how things go.

Crissco, I'd definitely think about it. If I was in the US, I'd be all over that career path. "Unfortunately" I'm not, but I have too good of a deal w/ a great investment environment, to move to the sinking ship that is the US. Check out:

http://www.aana.com/

for more info. Good luck!