Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can't resist a good kvetch... "Dad bod"

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So in the Being Muscular thread, the topic of what constitutes a "Dad bod" came up. Without implying any criticism of the original poster of this link, here's Hollywood's notion of "Dad bod":

https://thedesigninspiration.com/news/trending/these-celebrities-are-seriously-rocking-the-dad-bod/

The problem with Dad bod is that it means something different to everyone, and is often a relative term. The vast majority of the celebs in the article look like they are simply between action movie gigs where they go back into Shredding Boot Camp to get their next seven-figure payout from the Celebrity ATM. So when you compare those candids to their movie promo photos, they look like, well... normal people.

But for civvie guys? The running average of what I see day-to-day? Being as trim and fit as 80% of those shots would be an apogee for the typical dude off the street. And if you're starting from zero, it would be a fair amount of work and lifestyle change to get there.

The closest I see to my notion of Dad bod is the shot of Pierce Brosnan. But hell, he's sufficiently showing his age that his gut isn't the biggest issue taking the shine off. There are some other examples in that category, but for the most part these guys give the impression they hit the gym regularly, and (as the OP of the link observed) look like they are between cuttings.

My point? Not much of one I suppose, other than to gripe about the insanely high bar that's set by the media/celebrity machine.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with you. The "dad bod" seems to fit into a very wide range of body types. Really, most of the time I've seen it used in the media, it probably wouldn't take the guy too long to whip himself into shape, he's not that far gone. As you say, a lot of the time it seems to be a guy who has clearly spent time working out in the past, but has let it slip a bit for whatever reason.

It doesn't appear to me that having a "dad bod" is the same thing as being a disgusting fat slob, I think it's more of an in between state.

One guy who looks like he has a dad bod to me, but doesn't look like he's ever worked out really, is Sal Vulcano from Impractical Jokers. He certainly doesn't have an Abercrombie type body, but it does appear that a lot of women like him, I've heard a lot of women say so. I don't see it myself, but it must be looks to some extent, plus he must have some sort of natural charm.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe has Dad bod on Impractical Jokers. I think Joe is hilarious but ya. Dad bod. Sal is a bigger guy. More imposing. He is less dad bod due to his stature.

Corden is the biggest dad bod on the link above. Who was the “photographer” that used to rate the pictures of all his young stripper girls? Geez I’m having a senior moment drawing a blank on his name and the name of the rating app he used. He had serious dad bod going on around here.

Obviously it’s time to rest. Lol

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe has Dad bod on Impractical Jokers. I think Joe is hilarious but ya. Dad bod. Sal is a bigger guy. More imposing. He is less dad bod due to his stature.
I think Sal has dad bod. Joe is just plain fat :)
Joe is much more willing to take his shirt off though. Funny how that works.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My take on the dad bod is that it's the "guy who is wealthy enough to be fat" archetype that attracts women. I know smoking hot women who aren't attracted to muscled men in the slightest and prove it by their partners. This goes to show that looks don't matter as much as you think

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My take on the dad bod is that it's the "guy who is wealthy enough to be fat" archetype that attracts women. I know smoking hot women who aren't attracted to muscled men in the slightest and prove it by their partners. This goes to show that looks don't matter as much as you think
I'll give myself a little wiggle room on this but 90+% of all women are hugely attracted to lean, fit, and muscular men. It's in their DNA because these men are FAR BETTER options in genetics and mating and protection than the doughy "dad bod" types. The term "dad bod" exists because when you're a dad and working 60-80 hours a week to support your family with kids and also trying to please your wife because you're married and if she decides she's (gulp) "unhappy" it's going to cost you major $$$$. So, all of this comes at the expense of a guy working out and taking care of himself, hence, he develops a soft, unattractive "Dad Bod."

Women who "go for" Dad Bod types, mostly:

-Have given up and just want a guy who pays attention to them, think: quintessential beta male, blue piller.
-Know that strong, chiseled guys have MANY more s*ex and dating options, thus, creating lot's of competition for the woman which they hate.
-Know they could never hang on to chiseled guy because they lack the relationship skills to do so.
-Are out of shape themselves, and like attracts like in dating, generally.

Pics of a non-dad bod man over 45 attached.

Good luck, Gents.

~Dash~

Attachments

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here’s another thing you guys probably have not considered FWIW.

Ever try to sleep snuggled up to a guy who is so ripped and muscled that his arms and chest are rock hard even when not flexed?

I have. It’s like trying to snuggle or sleep on a box of rocks. Not exactly comfy. I like fit but able to snuggle myself. And I say very fit myself.

Joe’s also the married one. He embodies IDGAF the best on the show in my view.

Nice work Dash.

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Ever try to sleep snuggled up to a guy who is so ripped and muscled that his arms and chest are rock hard even when not flexed?

I have. It’s like trying to snuggle or sleep on a box of rocks. Not exactly comfy. I like fit but able to snuggle myself. And I say very fit myself.

Nice work Dash.
Thanks, BE. Never had any complaints about being "too hard"....;)

Joe from Impractical Jokers rocks and is The Man. Hilarious!

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Funny you say that. My GF is the first relationship I've had where cuddling/snuggling at night is verboten. Quote: "there are times when I've had to refuse overnights because the guy wouldn't get the message".

Cuddling before/after actual sleep time? No problem. But once it's time to sleep, I know to stay on my side of the bed, lol.

And for the record, I will likely never get to the point where I'm a box of rocks. Upstairs? Well, probably too late for that, but the rest of the body is pretty safe from ending up in that condition.

Last edited:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe definitely has the most balls, he will do or say almost anything. He's also the funniest IMO.

There's something about Impractical Jokers, I don't know what it is, it always reminds me of SoSuave. I like to observe thier social dynamics, how women respond to the four of them, which of them seem to be most attractive to women, etc. There's an old PUA idea where you go out and do the most ridiculous, embarrassing things that make you look dumb in public - that way the more normal interactions seem easy in comparison. Impractical Jokers matches up well with that.

Murray is clearly the most fit of the group, he really appears to be the only one who works out really, the only one without a belly. He is definitely the most lean, with the lowest body fat percentage. But he does not seem to be the most attractive to women, he might even be on the bottom. Part of the issue is that the other guys subtly assert their dominance over him. They tend to punk him out and give him the worst punishments. So he's not a dominant guy.

I heard Murray recently got engaged, by the way.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll give myself a little wiggle room on this but 90+% of all women are hugely attracted to lean, fit, and muscular men.
I can go with that number. There will always be exceptions to every rule.