Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can you develop a drinking allergy?

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi fitness and health guys!

I have another more general thread here: http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1749793#post1749793

but I was hoping to also hear from some of you fellas who might know what is going on from a health standpoint. Basically, for the past year or so, I have been getting very sick after drinking alcohol. It hits my stomach, and then my stomach gets all G.I. Joe on it, and I end up puking the entire next day. I MIGHT be safe if I drink one or two, but once I hit that three line, there is a 50% chance I am canceling all plans the next day because I worshiping at my toilet altar.

I am a girl, I am under 100lbs, 5'1 in height. No weak stomach in my history. Used to be able to drink more than anyone without a hangover even. I'm not saying I was ever a huge alcoholic, but when I'd go out every weekend with my girlfriends a couple of years ago before I became a hermit, I could definitely drink anything that came my way without a worry.

Any ideas on the issue that is happening here?

Thanks.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh! i just realized that you are saying the throwing up is happening the next day. i truly think that you have finally hit an age where hangovers happen.
you aren't used to them because you didn't have them until now.

try taking some vitamin c and drinking some water during the day before you drink and then drinking water on the way home and taking 2 ibuprofen before you go to bed. this helps with my hangovers now that i am older.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Allergy" implies there is direct immunological involvement w/ the offending agent. Typically you can only be allergic to larger molecules (traditionally w/ a mol. wt > 10000). Smaller molecules that elicit an immunological response, such as anaphylaxis from things like penicillin, are called "haptens". I don't think you have a drinking "allergy", but perhaps an intolerance of some sort.

In my professional opinion, I think alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there... I work in critical care (deal w/ the sickest people in the hospital), and a large proportion of our patients are there due to alcohol abuse in one form or another. Whether it be motor vehicle crashes, liver failure, esophageal varices/GI bleeds, etc. The physiological/social costs of alcohol cannot be overstated. If you don't believe me look at this:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/0...Feed:+rss/cnn_mostpopular+(RSS:+Most+Popular)

This article was based on a lancet article series. Here's the first one:

The Lancet, Volume 373, Issue 9682, Pages 2223 - 2233, 27 June 2009

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)60746-7/abstract

I've done a lot of illegal drugs in my life, but never been a huge alcohol user, despite the fact that getting hammered is a lot fun. Alcohol is a metabolic poison that basically affects every body system and can really mess with you.

Regarding your question about why you get so nauseous sick from drinking: It probably has to do with your CTZ's reaction from the alcohol in your gut, and then in your bloodstream. The CTZ (chemoreceptor trigger zone) is a part of your brain (medulla) that basically interacts with the puke centers in the brain when there are harmful drugs/hormones present in the bloodstream. The logic of making you puke if there's harmful stuff in your blood is to purge any of the bad stuff that's left in your stomach so that more bad stuff doesn't get absorbed. Its a fairly basic self protection mechanism.

Here's some CTZ links for ya:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemoreceptor_trigger_zone

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Medullary_chemoreceptor_trigger_zone

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/stomach/vomiting.html

So in short... you're puking the day after drinking because your little body (and consequently little liver) cannot metabolize/clear alcohol that well, and you may also have a CTZ that's fairly sensitive to alcohol/alcohol metabolites. The metabolites stick around in your system trigger your CTZ, which sends a signal through the medulla to your stomach to tell it to puke.

Alcohol obviously irritates the mucosal lining of the GI tract... This is yet another stimulus for nausea. As we age our ability to regenerate things decreases. This also holds true for gastric mucous production. If you wanna ramp up mucous production just go out and eat with your drink. Easiest way to do this. GI irritation coupled w/ pissing off your CTZ will undoubtedly increase the chances for puking.

My recommendations:
- cut back on the drinking
- drink one 8-10 oz glass of water for every drink you have
- Take a strong time-release B-vitamin complex
- Take an electrolyte drink (gatorade) and a good strong multivitamin.
- Eat a good meal when you drink.
- Get a bigger, stronger liver and better gastric mucous production/protection :rockon:

Hope this helps...

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
oh! i just realized that you are saying the throwing up is happening the next day. i truly think that you have finally hit an age where hangovers happen.
you aren't used to them because you didn't have them until now.

try taking some vitamin c and drinking some water during the day before you drink and then drinking water on the way home and taking 2 ibuprofen before you go to bed. this helps with my hangovers now that i am older.
Not a great idea to take NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) like ibuprofen after drinking. NSAIDs can irritate the the stomach lining by reducing production of protective mucous. It has to do with an enzyme COX-1 (cyclo-oxygenase) that NSAIDs inhibit. This enzyme is important in protection of the gastric mucosa.

Alcohol, especially high proof liquors, also irritate the stomach lining. Put the two together, add an empty stomach, colonization by H. pylori (bug that causes peptic ulcers) and you have increased your risk for an upper GI bleed.

GI bleed = not good ... They're messy and we don't like having to deal with them, so please don't get them :)

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good question...

Tylenol has recently been shown to be more selectively inhibitory for COX-2. This is a form of COX that is only induced during inflammation.

http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/2/383

Therefore you could argue that it'll still provide pain control properties while being minimally harmful to the GI mucosa. In addition it also acts more in the brain and less in the periphery, so perhaps give ya better analgesia for headaches.

Unfortunately, however, tylenol is actually pretty hepatotoxic... it doesn't exactly make your liver happy. Normally we don't exceed 4 g day (for standard doses of 325-650 mg every 4-6 hours). A 10 g dose can put people into acute hepatic failure. If I remember correctly, I think tylenol overdose is the most common cause of liver failure in the western world. Now combining it with alcohol, which is also hepatotoxic, is obviously not being very nice to your liver. It definitely puts more stress on your poor hepatocytes.

Please be nice to your liver, because liver failure is quite a horrible way to die, and the road to recovery from a liver transplant is long, dangerous and brutal.

If you're gonna do drugs, stick to things like weed, salvia, mushrooms, etc... Natural products that aren't fundamentally addictive and not nearly as toxic as EtOH.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still think it's your gall bladder. Probably half of the women I know have had theirs removed, and alcohol sensitivity was always a symptom.

If it's not your gall bladder, it's your liver. Something is affecting its function. Doctors are great at cutting out gall bladders, but they pretty much suck at fixing livers. Diet and lifestyle changes are the first things to try.

http://health.learninginfo.org/liver-health.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20358471

The first article is written in English, the second is in scientist techno-babble. The latter comes to the conclusion that "coffee modulates chemical hepatocarcinogenesis in rats." If anyone could translate that part to English for me, that would be great. Thanks.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and Fuglydude, that was so much more than what I was expecting, that was awesome knowledge. BB... I really hope it isn't my gallbladder or liver!!! :eek:

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're a woman, and you're tiny at 100lbs. That means you're double sensitive to alcohol. With such heavy drinking (even 3 is alot for you) you could very well have messed up the liver.

It's pretty serious if that's the case. You could be developing diabetes (happens with heavy drinking), or you could have damaged your liver (cirrosis) and you might need surgery. If there is enough good liver tissue, it grows back over time after the inflamed dying tissue is removed. If there isn't enough good tissue left then you need a transplant. You cannot live long without a proper working liver.

See your doctor, this is no time for a message board. And STOP drinking until you fix the problem.

You can also reduce meats (or go vegetarian for a bit), less caffeine, less chemicals like cough medicines, tylenol and whatever other pill you're popping that aren't absolutely necessary. Everything gets filtered though the liver, and it does a difficult job. Give it a break once in a while if you can.

Fuglydude said:
If you're gonna do drugs, stick to things like weed, salvia, mushrooms, etc... Natural products that aren't fundamentally addictive and not nearly as toxic as EtOH.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what is cocaine and what effects does it have on the liver. Is it some kind of extract or has it been chemically modified from the extracts of the cocoa leaves. I can't imagine it's very good for the body, besides fvcking up your mind and all that.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the concern. My only question regarding that is wouldn't there be other signs, if I was having liver failure? I don't have any other food sensitivities.

Also, 3 drinks might be a lot... if it was every day or for a lengthy amount of time. Whenever I would drink, it would be on the weekends, and it was only for a few months here and there, I wasn't a heavy drinker regularly throughout my 20's. I just really doubt that the drinking I did was excessive, simply because I see so many other people's drinking habits, and mine were nowhere near theirs. To this day there are still some people who don't believe I drink, because I don't do it often, or because there have been years where I just didn't drink at all (no particular reason... just didn't feel like it.)

Could hormonal changes play a part in this? It all seemed to start when I began taking a certain pill birth control pill, which I stopped taking after 2.5 months when I noticed how sick it made me feel. That was almost a year ago.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
Thanks for the concern.
It's the smartest thing to do.

As far as liver faliure, it's progressive. It happens slowly over time unless you do something really stupid that causes immediate shutdown like ie. eat a bag of salt. Doesn't seem that harmful but the difference between a medicine and a poison is the dose.

My only question regarding that is wouldn't there be other signs, if I was having liver failure?
Individuals with cirrhosis may have few or no symptoms and signs of liver disease. Some of the symptoms may be nonspecific, that is, they don't suggest that the liver is their cause.

http://www.medicinenet.com/cirrhosis/article.htm
Could hormonal changes play a part in this? It all seemed to start when I began taking a certain pill birth control pill, which I stopped taking after 2.5 months when I noticed how sick it made me feel. That was almost a year ago.
Possibly, but why only to alcohol? Your body seems to be rejecting it because it can't deal with it. As far as birth control, it's a chemical like any other and it must pass through the liver. If it's heavy stuff it might have caused some damage or maybe some temporary sensitivity.

Do you have health insurance and the ability to see a doctor? I don't know how your medical and insurance system works in the states. I'm in Canada.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
Thanks for the concern. My only question regarding that is wouldn't there be other signs, if I was having liver failure? I don't have any other food sensitivities.

Also, 3 drinks might be a lot... if it was every day or for a lengthy amount of time. Whenever I would drink, it would be on the weekends, and it was only for a few months here and there, I wasn't a heavy drinker regularly throughout my 20's. I just really doubt that the drinking I did was excessive, simply because I see so many other people's drinking habits, and mine were nowhere near theirs. To this day there are still some people who don't believe I drink, because I don't do it often, or because there have been years where I just didn't drink at all (no particular reason... just didn't feel like it.)

Just a tip iqqi, don't take advice on your hepatic health from someone who can't spell "cirrhosis" properly haha... Alle_gory no offense dude, nothing you said was really fundamentally incorrect, but a lot of it was misleading.

I'm a CCRN (critical care registered nurse). I have 8 yrs of post secondary education, including a degree in molecular bio as well as a B.ScN. I have around 1.5 years of ICU experience working in a large med/surgical ICU in a level 1 trauma center. The hospital is also the largest organ transplant center in Western Canada. We do our shares of liver transplants, and I see LOTS of liver failure. I'm not a hepatologist/GI doc, but I think I do know more about hepatic health, and general metabolic physiology than most guys who post on a certain teenage "how to pick up chics" forum.

Iqqi, in short, yes, if you truly were in liver failure you'd have tons of other symptoms. Not only would you be grossly jaundiced (assuming your total bilirubin was high), but you'd also have problems w/ blood clotting, and your level of consciousness would be all phucked up. All in all, you'd be at a VERY high risk for decompensation and death if you didn't get immediate medical treatment.

There are simple LFTs (liver function tests) you can do if you wanna see how your liver's doing. When liver cells are damaged the enzymes in them leak out into the blood. The levels of these enzymes can then be measured. The more enzyme that is present, typically, the worse the hepatic injury is. I'm willing to bet your LFTs are probably normal. Namely these enzymes are:

AST/ALT - alanine/aspartate transaminase
LDH - lactose dehydrogenase (not super specific for hepatic failure)
ALP - alkaline phosphatase.

you can also quantify T.bili (total bilirubin), albumin, GGT, etc etc.

If you're worried about your liver, get these numbers checked out, and they'll give you a good picture of what's up. The AST/ALT/LDH/ALP/T.bili combo are a sure bet. In my opinion, your liver enzymes are probably within normal ranges. I still standby my "CTZ-sensitivity/GI mucosal sensitivity leading to nausea" theory.

Allegory, several things you're saying are misleading. I'll address a few of them:

* Although heavy drinking of high glycemic load drinks can increase risk for DM (diabetes mellitus), there are many other risk factors involved. Its wrong to be this reductionist.

* Surgery is not always an option for cirrhosis. When a pt has substantial cirrhosis, and hepatic dysfunction, their blood coagulation factors won't be produced in appropriate amounts. Most surgeons don't wanna operate on someone who won't stop bleeding. Furthermore, if your electrolytes are outta whack and you're acidotic, you're MUCH more likely to have adverse complications, like PEA (pulseless electrical activity) arrest, from surgery. Liver resections are often done for things like HCA (hepatocellular carcinoma)... but not typically for cirrhosis/liver failure.

* The liver doesn't truly "filter" anything (unless you're talking about the reticuloendothelial system of the liver). You're probably thinking of drug metabolism. Any pills you eat will pass through the portal circulation. Your liver will basically try and do stuff to it to make it less toxic, and make it easy to get rid of. I'm not gonna get into phase I/phase II reactions and the P450 cytochrome system... just look it up. You're correct in that some chemical reactions of the liver can cause harm of liver cells, typically by production of harmful ROS (reactive oxygen species). Great analogy about the TI (therapeutic index), when you said that the difference between medicine and poison is the dose.

* You're correct in that cirrhosis and the resultant liver failure is typically slow and progressive, however, this is not always the case. There's lotsa badass things out there like death cap mushrooms that can really mess up your liver, and put you in acute liver failure. Liver failure secondary to tylenol poisoning is notoriously common.

Regarding your question cocaine:

Cocaine is an alkaloid that is a very powerful central nervous system stimulant. A portion of the molecule also has local anesthetic properties. Here's a cool 3D molecular model... God I'm such a NERD:

http://www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=279

An alkaloid is a naturally occurring chemical that has basic nitrogen atoms. As you know cocaine is naturally present in coca leaves, and has been concentrated. Usually, "street cocaine" will be a HCl (hydrochloride salt) of the base molecule, so yes, there is some minor modification. Lotsa OTC (over the counter) drugs are HCl salts of the active compound. Its just easy and convenient to store and administer drugs like this. I think crack or "free base" is the cocaine molecule w/o the hydrochloride salt... I'm not sure about this though.

With regards to cocaine metabolism by the liver, as far as I know there isn't significant damage to the liver w/ cocaine metabolism. Obviously there's other health risks, like cardiac arrhythmias, but I don't think you'd usually see elevated LFTs from cocaine use (unless of course there was some underlying pathology). This is probably because cocaine metabolites at "normal dose" are not damaging to hepatocytes. Usually, compounds that are damaging to hepatocytes are the reactive ones that induce oxidation, and produce ROS. For example, there's a very reactive tylenol metabolite abbreviated "NAPQI" that brutalizes hepatocytes, and causes a shiite load of oxidative stress. This is the molecular basis for tylenol poisoning.

Although cocaine by itself isn't super hard on the liver, mixing it with alcohol is whole different ball game...

Hope I answered your question.

Bluntmaster

Banned
Reaction score
It must be all that coke Iqqi used to snort before and after her 3 drinks.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Although cocaine by itself isn't super hard on the liver, mixing it with alcohol is whole different ball game...
one line of coke and one drink can kill you.
your liver can combine the two and create a toxic chemical reaction known as cocaethylene that can suddenly poison your body and stop your heart with sudden arrhythmic death syndrome.
happened to someone i know very well. this december, it will be 4 years since we laid him to rest.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Penkitten,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Cocaethylene is recognized as having some fairly toxic cardiovascular effects. Its chemically similar to cocaine, but I think its causes even more coronary arterial vasoconstriction... so you get reduced myocardial perfusion, even though the myocardium has a higher work out load/metabolic requirements due to the stimulant effects of cocaine. Overall, not a good combo.

Its a disturbing trend to see people do coke when they're out binge drinking. I don't think people really know the dangers of mixing the two...

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fugly, thank you for correcting me. You know more than I do. I've done biochemistry which wasn't as focused on the human condition. I'm assuming you're in the medical field.

I'm curious, regarding cirrosis;

1. How far can it progress before you reach a point of no return and is that the point where a person begins to show the classic symptoms of liver faliure like yellowing skin, easy bruising... etc.

2. Can a person simply drop dead from a slow progression of cirrosis without any clearly noticeable symptoms? Just a little fatigue, loss of appetite but nothing major...

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are concerned about it, you should see a doctor. However, how much you can drink depends largely on your gender, age, race and size, how much you've eaten that day and/or how much you drink in general.

Nothing you've posted sounds like something to be alarmed about, but then again I am not a doctor, just an anonymous internet user.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Fugly, thank you for correcting me. You know more than I do. I've done biochemistry which wasn't as focused on the human condition. I'm assuming you're in the medical field.

I'm curious, regarding cirrosis;

1. How far can it progress before you reach a point of no return and is that the point where a person begins to show the classic symptoms of liver faliure like yellowing skin, easy bruising... etc.

2. Can a person simply drop dead from a slow progression of cirrosis without any clearly noticeable symptoms? Just a little fatigue, loss of appetite but nothing major...
No prob man... Yeah, if you read back, you'll see I'm an RN specializing in critical care (CCRN). I'm not an MD/PhD, but I do have a lot more education than a typical CCRN as I have an extra degree in mol. bio. Hope to continue on to be an anesthetist next...

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge...

1> I don't really know the answer to this question. I would think there would be inter-individual variability. The liver has many integral physiological functions, and when hepatic function is compromised there is widespread physiology "chaos". Much of this chaos is not compatible with life.

The liver actually has remarkable regenerative properties. I think its the only organ that can do this... They say as little as long as 25% of your overall liver is viable, it can actually regenerate the entire organ. You'd have to give it time and good nutrients and take away noxious toxins to prevent further damage, but it can regenerate itself. Obviously this is in healthy individuals. If you have someone with an underlying genetic issue like hereditary hemochromatosis, or alpha-1 anti-trypsin def. you're not gonna be able regenerate normally.

As you stated in a previous post on this thread, a large proportion of cirrhosis is actually asymptomatic. Individuals who have "stable cirrhosis" can easily decompensate if there is some kinda insult like infection, heavy EtOH use during a drinking binge, etc. Decompensated cirrhosis (chronic liver failure) is perhaps the "point of no return" as you call it. At this state there is inadequate functional/viable liver to support normal homeostatic metabolism. This is where transplantation is considered assuming the pt. could survive the surgery. Liver dialysis techniques like MARS can also be used as a bridge to transplantation.

One can be symptomatic w/ things like jaundice even w/o having liver problems. Just look up pre or post hepatic causes of jaundice. However, the symptoms associated w/ true liver failure can result in a metabolic catastrophe that is simply not compatible with life. There are different scales to grade the severity of cirrhosis. Just check out the Child-Pug (sp?) scores, and the MELD score (MELD = model for end stage liver disease).

I don't think I answered this question very well...

2> In short, the answer is no. As I mentioned in the previous answer, stable or asymptomatic cirrhosis has to get into full blown decompensated cirrhosis or chronic liver failure to be fatal. Depending on the amount of hepatic damage sustained, and the amount of reserve, the insult needed to push the body over the proverbial edge doesn't have to be anything too crazy. Chronic liver failure will have a shiiite load of symptoms and is diagnosable based on many different things. If you have asymptomatic liver cirrhosis, then you'll have to progress through the symptomatic/decompensated state aka chronic liver failure, on your way to the grave.

We had a case a few weeks back w/ a 50 YO male presented w/ liver failure after a night of heavy drinking. There was obvious cirrhosis, otherwise he wouldn't have been in the giant metabolic mess that was in. I'm not sure if you know anything about labs, but to give you an idea, his lactate = >20, PO2 = 40s, pH = ~7, SpO2 50%, ABP 60s/30s etc... These numbers aren't compatible with life. All it took was that night of binge drinking to put his cirrhotic liver over the edge and into full time chronic liver failure. We couldn't save him as he was too far gone, plus I'm sure his brain had suffered significant hypoxic injury by that time.

Hope I answered your questions.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
We had a case a few weeks back w/ a 50 YO male presented w/ liver failure after a night of heavy drinking. There was obvious cirrhosis, otherwise he wouldn't have been in the giant metabolic mess that was in. I'm not sure if you know anything about labs, but to give you an idea, his lactate = >20, PO2 = 40s, pH = ~7, SpO2 50%, ABP 60s/30s etc... These numbers aren't compatible with life. All it took was that night of binge drinking to put his cirrhotic liver over the edge and into full time chronic liver failure. We couldn't save him as he was too far gone, plus I'm sure his brain had suffered significant hypoxic injury by that time.

Hope I answered your questions.
I understand most of it, but ABP? Is that blood pressure of 60/30?

The rest of the stats are f*cked. I'm assuming he wasn't even conscious when he came in.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
I understand most of it, but ABP? Is that blood pressure of 60/30?

The rest of the stats are f*cked. I'm assuming he wasn't even conscious when he came in.
Yes, ABP is arterial blood pressure. We measure it by cannulating the radial, femoral or some other artery, then connecting the cannula to a force transducer. ABP gives us real time BP, way quicker than a BP cuff can.

We need real-time instantaneous BP readings in critical care when we titrate vasoactive infusions, so knowing ABP is invaluable.